• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DOT seeks age 60 opinion, young guys speak up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The federal law mandating that all airline pilots must retire at the arbitrary age of 60 was never intended to be a vehicle to enhance aviation safety. Safety is the ruse that the FAA has used to deflect criticism of it’s “Age 60 Rule” as being discriminatory and unfair to older pilots. The FAA defends the “Age 60 Rule” solely on the grounds that no one has come up with a study proving that pilots will be safer beyond their 60th birthday. The Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Marion Blakey, says that the available safety data and latest medical research are insufficient for the agency to begin the steps necessary to change the age 60 rule. Thus the FAA's official position is that, in spite of numerous scientific studies, it has insufficient evidence to prove that an airline pilot would be as safe or safer if allowed to fly beyond age 60 and therefore all airline pilots must be grounded on their 60th birthday. What a pitiful distortion of logic that the FAA uses to deprive otherwise qualified persons their right to perform in their lifelong career. If the Federal government wants a law that denies an otherwise qualified person to practice in their profession, then that government must prove that there are enough scientific reasons for such a law to exist. It is the federal government’s burden to prove that all airline pilots suffer an unacceptable decline in their ability to fly beyond age 60 which poses an unacceptable safety risk to the flying public. This proof is something that Congress has repeatedly directed the FAA to come up with for over 20 years but the FAA has failed produce such proof. That proof simply dose not exist.

Thanks AA

In aviation we can thank AA for two great laws: Wright Am and age 60.

Wright is on its way out, age 60 to follow.

As to the drum beat for young guys to speak up, well it isn't about you. It is about the new wrkplace. ALPA could have proposed a nationwide SOS to solve the pensim crisis when UAL took pilots pension. The dominos have started to fall already. ALPA inaction has allowed management to destroy previous plans. ALPA is on the verge of being decertified at UAL, not a minute too soon.

I am glad my current airline is not ALPA.

As for calls not to change the status quo, well life is full of change. By definition we are all selfish and act accordingly. The greater good is my family first, and as I write this with my sick 1 1/2 yr old boy on my lap I will do what it take to provide a roof over his head and food on the table. No I don't have an ex, nor a failed business. I have managed my finances well. but am unmoved by your desires (pro 60 rulers) to upgrade faster.

Bottom line is take a chill pill. Change is coming. I love to fly and hope to do so until I am ready to hang up my spurs. So young dudes, poll away and rant against us old farts. I respect your right to pursue life, liberty and property. All I ask is that you do the same for me.

What ?!?!?!? ALPA being de-certified at UAL??? On the verge of...? When? Next week...next month? Rick "Golden Goose" Dubinsky and Roger Hall must be falling over hearing this.

Tejas

What ?!?!?!? ALPA being de-certified at UAL??? On the verge of...? When? Next week...next month? Rick "Golden Goose" Dubinsky and Roger Hall must be falling over hearing this.

Tejas

I'm not sure if there is much to that rumor. I have talked to a number of UAL pilots that dropped out of dues check off. Yes they still have to pay, but is it on time? The whole age 60 issue is a lose or lose situation for ALPA.:(

I respect your right to pursue life, liberty and property. All I ask is that you do the same for me.

No, you don't. At least on this issue, you're "respect" and your desire to change the game are mutually exclusive.

Great Santini

No, you don't. At least on this issue, you're "respect" and your desire to change the game are mutually exclusive.

Walden,

I swore I wouldn't descend into a food fight, but first let me say that I have done nothing to try and "change the game."

Looking at your aviation quals you aren't a fighter pilot, so why hide behind the Great Santini?

All of the rants on this thread and others like it will not stop the coming change. My question is simply this, why do you care so much? Is it safety or is it your desire for a rapid upgrade? Drs can practice until they are dead, pop pills all night long etc. Are you actively working to prevent that?

People vote their pocket book, and act in their own best interest. Let us bury the hatchet and agree to disagree, that is true respect.

just wanted to move this to the top again. (for those that are against changing the rules in the middle of the game because of bad luck or poor planning). I personally would be embarrased to be in favor of this. That would mean that I was relying on someone else to ensure my stability when I finally retire. Imagine, the seasoned pilots with the same attitudes of the new peeps, "I deserve this". Remember, they come from the same generation that thought Social Security was a retirement plan and not a forced savings for those that can't, don't or are to ignorant to prepare.

Looking at your aviation quals you aren't a fighter pilot, so why hide behind the Great Santini?

All I have to say to that is....huh? It's an f'ing avatar. I don't believe I've ever represented myself as a fighter pilot. Let's see then, could it be that I just like the movie? Nah, that wouldn't reinforce you're overbloated sense of self. Knucklehead.

Latest resources

Back