• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DOT authorizes Shuttle America/RP Branded Flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Every regional is a cheap sellout, spare me the grief! You should go cry to your mommma.

Some are cheaper than the others. I'd rather get paid a wage commensurate with the aircraft I'm flying so I can afford to live. I'd rather not participate in the race to the bottom...sooner or later you realize it was a bad idea.

Some are cheaper than the others. I'd rather get paid a wage commensurate with the aircraft I'm flying so I can afford to live. I'd rather not participate in the race to the bottom...sooner or later you realize it was a bad idea.

It was a bad idea long ago, when Comair got the first RJ. That was really bad. XJT had the most ERJs as they casted out perfectly good ATRs, Brasilias, and B1900s. I believe CHQ was flying Metros, Saabs, and Jetstreams at that time. So who was it again that was perpetuating the race to the bottom? You lecture and wane about leading contracts but you miss the big picture. The jet is meant for the mainline company. It doesn't belong at a commuter/regional, unless that regional flies on it's own behalf.

Last edited:
You lecture and wane about leading contracts but you miss the big picture. The jet is meant for the mainline company. It doesn't belong at a commuter/regional, unless that regional flies on it's own behalf.

I dont lecture or wane? about leading contracts. I just want people to stand up for what they deserve. F/O's flying mainline jets deserve more than topping out at 37k a year. Mesa's pilots deserve a hotel instead of a board in the back of the airplane. Everyone deserves cx pay and block or better.

Foregoing any of that because it will get you to a mainline job quicker is selling out the industry, in my opinion.

I dont lecture or wane? about leading contracts. I just want people to stand up for what they deserve. F/O's flying mainline jets deserve more than topping out at 37k a year. Mesa's pilots deserve a hotel instead of a board in the back of the airplane. Everyone deserves cx pay and block or better.

Foregoing any of that because it will get you to a mainline job quicker is selling out the industry, in my opinion.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm looking at it from a different angle. Everyone that knows me or has seen my posts, knows I have a hard on for turboprops. That's what should be flying feed for the mainline partners. We wouldn't even be having this discussion if it wasn't for RJ's. There would be more mainline jobs and the commuters/regionals would be a stepping stone for sure. I agree our F/O pay is not as good as it should be, but we are negotiating at this time and the last time our contract was written there were distractions with the merging of seniority lists and assimilation of pilots from Shuttle America. There were a lot of political things influencing the ability to have the upper hand. This time it's the economic downturn, however I am confident we will come out with better pay and work rules.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm looking at it from a different angle. Everyone that knows me or has seen my posts, knows I have a hard on for turboprops. That's what should be flying feed for the mainline partners. We wouldn't even be having this discussion if it wasn't for RJ's. There would be more mainline jobs and the commuters/regionals would be a stepping stone for sure. I agree our F/O pay is not as good as it should be, but we are negotiating at this time and the last time our contract was written there were distractions with the merging of seniority lists and assimilation of pilots from Shuttle America. There were a lot of political things influencing the ability to have the upper hand. This time it's the economic downturn, however I am confident we will come out with better pay and work rules.
I agree with your RJ comment.

Your attitude is different than many who seek out the bottom feeders for the "quick upgrade". If the pilot group gets what they should for the job they do and the aircraft they fly, then I dont care how big their company gets, Mesa or RAH included.

I just hate to see regionals who have good work rules/pay shrink because of pilots who are willing to work for peanuts to jump the ladder.

Bring that $119 down to a 12 year scale and I'll be impressed. Also, if you don't get cost of living adjustments, that $119 is just a carrot. If you're a 5th year captain that $119 will only be worth $85 in 2024.

We did receive cost of living adjustments for the life of the contract, or should I say up until its amendable date. While the FO scale was erratic and uneven in its yearly increases, the captain payscale went up every october. The increase was about enough to cover general increases in inflation/cost of living. This was in addition to your longevity raise, which we still get.

Getting permission to operate without codeshare has served two purposes, none of which results in a new airlines out there this year to undercut the others. First, BB wants another business tool in his bag of tricks. He now has a plan B (more like plan H, he really enjoys mainline money instead of earning it solo) for his two most important certificates (he wants to shrink CHQ , no offense guys). IF push came to shove, RW and S5 could go out and make their own coin. Secondly, and most importantly, BB has demonstrated to his shareholders and investors that the DOT believes in the financial stability of the company. In this current economy, he needs every vote of confidence he can get. He has shown former investors and new investors, along with creditors, that someone other than his own staff believes the airline is on solid financial footing.

In other news, the great Wexford Capital, the company that helped CHQ buy its way into being a jet flying, three headed monster, is reinvesting in RAH. They had bailed about a year and a half ago, as was planned from the inception of their investment. Now that they are contractually clear of RAH, they have stared reinvesting. They hold some serious dough, and have liked BB's vision. The future could get interesting here...

Latest resources

Back