• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PuffDriver

Delta Looks To 777 As Relief From 787 Woes
Aviation Daily
09/26/2008 , page 02

Darren Shannon

Delta is considering Boeing 777s as either a temporary or permanent replacement for the 787 order it will inherit when it finalizes its takeover of Northwest, sources tell The DAILY.

This revelation comes as All Nippon, the launch customer for the 787, says it will have to introduce nine 767-300ERs to its fleet in 2010 and 2011 to cover capacity shortfalls caused by the delay in its 787 delivery program.

Northwest is scheduled to be the first U.S. carrier to take delivery of Boeing’s new widebody. The first of 18 787s scheduled for delivery is Boeing’s third test aircraft, which is already under construction at the manufacturer’s Everett facility.

Northwest was the first carrier to publicly admonish Boeing when it announced the first delay in its 787 program (DAILY, Oct. 11, 2007), and although President and CEO Doug Steenland confirmed that a compensation package was being discussed, details for either the first delay or subsequent changes in the 787 delivery schedule have never been disclosed.

It is unclear if Delta’s talks with Boeing are for compensation or replacement for the 787s, however doubts have arisen about the viability of the widebody for the Atlanta-based carrier, which has opted as recently as August (DAILY, Aug. 8) to use the 777 to bolster its long-haul fleet.

Northwest executives in 2007 were also concerned about the 787, and in October of that year were aware the first batch of deliveries would not be capable of operating at full capacity on routes already assigned to the carrier, including nonstop flights from Detroit to China. Because of these concerns, plans were considered to either operate the 787s at less than full capacity or on shorter routes already established with the Northwest network.

Neither Delta nor Northwest was available for comment. Boeing says it will not discuss conversations it may or may nor be having with customers.

On Sept. 25 ANA, in addition to unveiling the 767-300ER plan, announced a new delivery schedule for its 50 787s that not only defers the first aircraft until August 2009 but also extends the delivery rate and delays completion of all 50 deliveries to 2017 from the 2015 deadline initially planned.

Earlier this month, reports also said Japan Airlines will add nine 767s and two 777s as part of a compensation package for delays in its firm order for 35 787s.

Either way that sim will be used. It can be reconfigured for the 777 quite easily. I know that the company wants a common type like CAL is doing.
Even if they will not do that NATCO will make money training other pilots in it until we get the 900.

Either way that sim will be used. It can be reconfigured for the 777 quite easily. I know that the company wants a common type like CAL is doing.
Even if they will not do that NATCO will make money training other pilots in it until we get the 900.[/quote

I'm here to tell you that the 787 sim cannot be reconfigured to a B777. Where you got that idea I haven't a clue, but just to make sure you understand this is not a feature for the 787 sim built by Thales, UK.

Doesn't the 787 have a completly different cockpit then the 777? Thought it almost looked like the Planeview cockpit that gulfstream etc use.

Doesn't the 787 have a completly different cockpit then the 777? Thought it almost looked like the Planeview cockpit that gulfstream etc use.

Yes it looks quite a bit different that the 777 and I guess if you squint real hard you might think it looks like the G550, only a lot better IMO.

Even if they will not do that NATCO will make money training other pilots in it until we get the 900.

They are not going to get a common type out of the 777/787. Most likely more 777s in the near future, and the 787-9 in the not too distant future. Of course, depending on the economy,

When I was looking at the full scale mock up during the Boeing tour, I was struck by how much the flight deck looked like a 757's. Much of the switch gear was the same parts used on the 757 and 767. I don't know if that was the final form, or a prototype. But a 767 300 ER with new glass and HUD's would be hard to distinguish from the mockup I saw.

A 757 / 767 pilot will feel very much at home.

A shame Boeing is screwing this up so badly. Cramer's telling people to sell BA stock.

When I was looking at the full scale mock up during the Boeing tour, I was struck by how much the flight deck looked like a 757's. Much of the switch gear was the same parts used on the 757 and 767. I don't know if that was the final form, or a prototype. But a 767 300 ER with new glass and HUD's would be hard to distinguish from the mockup I saw.

A shame Boeing is screwing this up so badly. Cramer's telling people to sell BA stock.

Sorry but if you think the 787 flight deck looks anything like a 757/767 you must be a very confused pilot. Absolutely nothing in common with these two aircraft. The 757/767 is very old school and the 787 is way out in front with technology and by the way, it grey not brown anymore. Are sure you were looking at at 787 mockup? I will be in the 787 sim in two hours so I do know the difference. I think you may be confused about what you saw on tour.

Even if they will not do that NATCO will make money training other pilots in it until we get the 900.[/quote

I'm here to tell you that the 787 sim cannot be reconfigured to a B777. Where you got that idea I haven't a clue, but just to make sure you understand this is not a feature for the 787 sim built by Thales, UK.

Maybe they can charge UND kids (Undies) $400 a hour for 787 Sim courses, and those guys can then happily go to the Saab 340 at Mesaba.....we have a flow through, you know....

Bye Bye--General Lee

What is the current status of the Boeing Strike anyway? Anyone know?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back