• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Don't Become An Airline Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Every time I have paid more taxes, it means I am making more money. That is a good deal. And to think I am still living my dream from 60 years ago. Being paid welll to do something I love, living close to an airport, going to the airport everyday to hang around and talk airplanes. BTW Thewre is also a place close by called the "Wedge" where I can drink cheap beer and talk airplanes

Yea, and how much was flight training back then? How much did a house cost let alone the general cost of living. Even adjusting for inflation, it bet was much, much cheaper. 100+ grand debt for a job that won't pay 80 grand until at least 5 years later is a terrible trade off. And who knows what the future holds with the latest oil related airline cut backs.

I AM POOR AND IN DEBT DUE TO THE LOW SALARIES. I have been flying for a major for almost 3 years and was at a regional airline for 6 years prior. I HAVE NEVER MADE MORE THAN $80000 in one year.

I think I need to clarify a couple of things here. First off, by mentioning in debt I mean mortgage and nothing else. (and that is not some creative mortgage finance scheme for some thing that is unaffordable) Second, 80k is a lot of money, just not every where. Is it really this difficult to understand that some parts of the country are in fact a whole lot more expensive than others?

80,000? must be nice. I take it you live no where near the east coast? ;)

Free

Yea, and how much was flight training back then? How much did a house cost let alone the general cost of living. Even adjusting for inflation, it bet was much, much cheaper. 100+ grand debt for a job that won't pay 80 grand until at least 5 years later is a terrible trade off. And who knows what the future holds with the latest oil related airline cut backs.
Took a 40 question test on FARs' passed was given a SEL/MEL Comm inst rating at no cost. But I did spend $243 to get my ATP in Grumman Tiger back i n1978.

Every time I have paid more taxes, it means I am making more money. That is a good deal. And to think I am still living my dream from 60 years ago. Being paid welll to do something I love, living close to an airport, going to the airport everyday to hang around and talk airplanes. BTW Thewre is also a place close by called the "Wedge" where I can drink cheap beer and talk airplanes
YIP...my point is that it's a job. Too many people have said what you've said...and taken a paycut to do it. After the honeymoon wears off, it's ALL about the paycheck.

And with today's pay and lack of company funded retirements, we're going to need an age 75 policy here soon.

You've been around the block once or twice...don't try and pass it off to the under-educated as a bouquet of roses.

it's ALL about the paycheck.

If its all about the paycheck maybe your in the wrong profession. Pilotyip may have "been around the block" but hes right when he says

And to think I am still living my dream from 60 years ago. Being paid welll to do something I love, living close to an airport, going to the airport everyday to hang around and talk airplanes.

I can't help but agree. Have we forgotten why we became pilots? When my dad writes to me he always prefixes my name with "Cpt.". Until recently my wife earned way more money than I did, and yet when we get together with her corporate cronies everyone wants to talk to the "pilot".

Like pilotyip I still enjoy hanging out at the local field breathing in aviation.

Like BoyCaptain I'm also enjoying 3 weeks off. But I'm looking forward to going back to work and have no plans to retire at 55!

Need a paycheck

YIP...my point is that it's a job. Too many people have said what you've said...and taken a paycut to do it. After the honeymoon wears off, it's ALL about the paycheck.

And with today's pay and lack of company funded retirements, we're going to need an age 75 policy here soon.

You've been around the block once or twice...don't try and pass it off to the under-educated as a bouquet of roses.
Of course every job is about a pay check, and many have taken a pay cuts to do it. You need to be paid to work. But it is still among the highest paying jobs in the country. Few people have been beat up in their career as I have. I have gotten out of aviation a couple times, I keep coming back because I like doing it and to be paid to do something you like is something a lot of people will never experience. BTW I have always made more money in the flying business than I did running my own business or teaching school.

Of course every job is about a pay check, and many have taken a pay cuts to do it. You need to be paid to work. But it is still among the highest paying jobs in the country. With an asterisk: How long do you have to eat crow at the Regional level before you begin to get paid decent money? Even when you do start making decent money, how long does it take to overcome the years of eating crow (establishing a retirement?) Few people have been beat up in their career as I have. I have gotten out of aviation a couple times, I keep coming back because I like doing it and to be paid to do something you like is something a lot of people will never experience. I don't disagree...but you'd be doing a disservice to those you come across if you did not give them the pros and cons of aviation. Alot of new pilots with no industry experience to draw from walk into aviation like a prop: they never see it coming. And it's a rude awakening for alot.

But I don't have to.

I don't have to discuss the down side of a flying career, althought I may be an expert with my expereinces, because it is fully covered on this site. Someone has to give the "I like my job" side BTW I think my tag line says it all.

Last edited:
I AM POOR AND IN DEBT DUE TO THE LOW SALARIES

I think I need to clarify a couple of things here. First off, by mentioning in debt I mean mortgage and nothing else.

These two statements contradict each other. The average American household has over $8000 in high interest credit card debt in addition to student loans and loans for flashy vehicles. If you honestly have NOTHING more than your mortgage, you are WAY AHEAD of the game. Mortgage is the only "debt" you get to live in and one of the rare "debts" that appreciates.

I'm trying to decide which is more weak and lame. Someone who can't control their own finances and seeks the pity of those less fortunate or someone who is doing just fine and seeks the pity of those less fortunate. Either way, you certainly take the cake.

You are either lying about your actual financial situation or a drama queen that needs people to feel sorry for you.

Latest resources

Back