Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Answer??? Yes.

Actually I would answer.

Then when I found out it was Jetblue I'd hang up the phone.

I prefer an ACTUAL major over an unproven start-up.

Things look good now. But I'm not THAT big of a gambler.

And frankly if they hired a guy like you then their chances just went down.

Flying Freddie said:
Dear Clown,

I bet you wouldn't answer the phone.

Love, Freddie

Delete Your Application

Clownpilot said:
Actually I would answer.

Then when I found out it was Jetblue I'd hang up the phone.

I prefer an ACTUAL major over an unproven start-up.

Things look good now. But I'm not THAT big of a gambler.

And frankly if they hired a guy like you then their chances just went down.

Mr Clown,
If you don't what us to call you, please don't submit an appication because the folks in the pilot hiring department are very busy and have 8000+ serious applications to deal with. Since you want to hang-up on our interviewers, please don't waste their valuable time and delete your application if you have one on file. Too bad the majors aren't hiring, except WN, and won't be for sometime, so you might want to look into a different career field.

Early Preparation is the Key

AlbieF15 said:
Well...standard...anything with JetBlue in the thread gets heated in a hurry:rolleyes:

Jetblue320--I see the economics and it does make sense to me to make sure you get the right folks. Like I've said before--I've met some really great folks at your team, and I think you guys have a great culture. It won't stay great without your efforts, and I applaud that. The vigorous background checks probably save you having a guy/gal who you would regret for 20 years...

My point in the original thread was there was no need to stutter and stammer if it REALLY was a bad time to talk. If you have a head cold, a sick kid, or whatever...own up to it and fess up and see if you can do this at a later time. You tell me...would that be a foul? Would it take a guy out of the running? DGS or Joint Ops got an opinion? JayDub? Flipper?

The point to candidates is if you have an app in, it behooves you to do some prep NOW and be ready for a phone call. Prep doesn't mean calling me or Craig Thorton yet, but rather that you simply do some logbook review and put some thought into your work history and be ready to chat. I've had folks ask me for help for an interview 2 nights prior to the NY big day! Folks, this is not the time for procrastination!I'm proud of what I offer, but I can't get you ready on my own--you have to think, reflect, practice, and then practice some more to be able to express yourself to an interviewer. Start early, and take some time once a month or so to give yourself a "mock" question or two and do some research. Waiting until a week prior can be overwhelming. Some guys are naturals, but most of us can use a little practice here and there. Again...my point is when you send your app in do some research ASAP and start thinking about what you will say when you get your interview--don't wait until 3 weeks prior to CRAM for your final.

As a strategy, I might consider writing down some things I want JetBlue to know about me, and have some stories about your experiences that relate to say.... Safety, Caring, Fun, Passion, and Integrity.... Have a story or two handy about a time you helped a customer, had a conflict with a co-worker, etc etc (go to the gouge sites and you'll get an idea of the TYPE of question they usually ask). You don't need to have rote memorized story--you'll like sound stiff and get shot down anyway. Rather, you need to take time to reflect on YOUR experience and YOUR capabilities so you can recount your info when called "out of the 'Blue". ............

I'd like to suggest purchasing the book "Checklist for Succes" to help prepare for an airline interview. The book is written to guide each of us through self-analysis to help prepare valuable experiences to share at an interview. Additionally, Cheryl Cage guides you through techniques to improve your speaking efficiency which allows the interviewers to see the true person you are trying to portray.

Personally, I read the book once 12 months prior to thinking I'd receive a call. About six months prior, I re-read the sections dealing with self-analysis and jotted notes in the margins for potential experiences to share. Once I received a call from jetBlue, I reviewed my notes and thoroughly read the section on speaking techniques.

Whatever you do to prepare, you need to ensure you walk in confident to your interview. If prepping only with a book like "Checklist" works great. If you feel the need to use a service like Albie's, great. If you want to rely on GOUGE from the internet, great. Prepare so YOU feel confident which is a major step in dealing with the natrual anxiety you will experience the moment you receive a phone call or walk into the interview session. Only one person is to blame if you don't get the job; it's yours to lose.

Bottomline, the word is one the street jetBlue is conducting initial phone interviews. Do a little homework early and you won't have a problem. If you're not ready to talk when someone calls, be honest (Integrity is one of our values) and arrange for a time when you will have an environment which allows you to place your best foot forward. jetBlue wants you to succeed, the process is just trying to ensure the proper folks are brought to NYC and we aren't wasting your time and ours.

Sorry for the long post, just my opinion on helping to prep for an interview for the job of a lifetime!

WOW!!!

After reading this thread, I'm surprised my computer monitor didn't burst into flames. I understnd the angst that a cold call can bring on, and yet opmistically look forward to getting that call myself. Sometimes in life's game, you have to play the hand you're dealt, rather than the hand you want.

I'll definitely answer the phone on the first ring!

JD:cool:

send the call my way!

Without taking a position on the issue here, if anyone gets an unwanted call from JB, feel free to forward them to me! I'll be glad to take it, naked or otherwise. Come to think of it, I just may be more comfortable taking it naked...

hoya

Just saw "Miracle" last week, the movie about the 1980 Olympic Hockey Team. Outside of being an awesome movie it showed the mind behind coach Herb Brooks in putting this Dream Team together. There were over 60 or so players invited to COS to tryout. The tryout was expected to last a week or so but after a few hours Coach Brooks handed one of the USA hockey officials the team list. The official was stunned as how could he know these were the best players. When Asst Coach Patrick saw the list he remarked "Some of the best players are missing from the list". Coach Brooks replied " I'm not looking for the Best players I'm looking for the right players". It was obvious that the only way to possibly beat the Russians was to play as a team, after all the Russians had just beat the pants off an NHL All-Star Team.

The next day Coach Brooks gave the players who made it a Take home test. The test did not have much to do with hockey. Needless to say all the players completed the test all except one, Jim Craig the goalie. He asked Coach Brooks what this test has to do with his playing net. Coach Brooks told him "You don't want to take it? Fine don't take it!". He then started walking away as Jim Craig chased after him obviously thinking he did something wrong. "Coach if you want me to take the test I will". Coach Brooks turned around with the test in his hand, looked at Jim Craig and tossed it in the trash can. "You just did" replied coach Brooks.

I knows this rambles on but I thought that was a great moment in the movie as Herb knew what it took to beat the Russians, but it had to be his way, and it was.

Also if you intend to see the movie I hope I did not give anything away. If you don't know what happened to the 1980 Hockey team you should not be out in public.

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/miracle/home.html

And another great Disney moment...

A couple other "classic" Disney moments...

Old Yeller, wild with rabies and hate, snarls at his beloved master as the boy raises his rifle and shoots his beloved dog.

Bambi's Mom, racing through the woods (likely looking for some strange buck), meets a hunter who has gotten his Doe tag that year and BOOM...venison sausage and orphaned yearling are the result. :p

I don't want any of you guys to end up like Old Yeller or Bambi's mom...so be ready early.

Anyone who got hired after at FedEx after they started their multi-phased test can relate to Jim Craig's "what has this got to do with _____?" question. Nobody said airline interviews had to make sense.:D

Re: Delete Your Application

Jax,

Thank you for the advice.

But little airplanes scare me.

Especially little airplanes that are flown using a joystick like an Atari game.

Jetbluexxx-heavy?? don't exist.

If I ever get desperate or drunk enough to apply I'll attempt to pass out before I submit it. I promise.

jaxgus said:
Mr Clown,
If you don't what us to call you, please don't submit an appication because the folks in the pilot hiring department are very busy and have 8000+ serious applications to deal with. Since you want to hang-up on our interviewers, please don't waste their valuable time and delete your application if you have one on file. Too bad the majors aren't hiring, except WN, and won't be for sometime, so you might want to look into a different career field.

Latest resources

Back