• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AlbieF15

F15 Ret/FDX/InterviewPrep
Board Regulars,

I just got a sad PM from a very well qualified and experienced aviator who did not get the chance to interview in person with JetBlue as he pooched the phone interview screening.

I know we talk about a little of everything (and thats okay!) on this INTERVIEW board, but if I can steer us back on track to interviewing I have a few suggestions.

First...get out of the habit RIGHT NOW of answering your phone and have your spouse, significant other, or roomie start picking up the darn thing. If they ask for you, have them say you are "out" then set a time to call back. Telemarketers (prior to the do not call list) were notorious for interupting dinner. Now its the HR folks (or pilots) calling for you. Don't just look for a Kew Gardens phone number, as people are getting calls from various JB cities (pilots on layovers, perhaps!).

I tend to think of myself as quite articulate and charming ;) , but if you caught me off guard with a yelling 14 month old or a sick kid or after a few glasses of wine with dinner, chances are I might not be at my "peak". I have long been a very big fan of JetBlue, and I think their HR folks do a great job screening people judging by the talent and charm of of some of the folks I've helped. However, I think they may be expecting "too much" out of someone during a cold call. I don't know exactly what the rules or criteria are yet for success, but I see no reason at all to accept a call out of the (pun intended) BLUE if you aren't ready to discuss professionally some of your experiences and work history.

Here is what I suggest. First...if you have an app in with JB go NOW and download some questions from the various gouge sites (my site has a link if you don't have them...) and start organizing a few basic answers to typical questions. Once you've gotten your call, then you can be ready for call #2 when it finally does come. I don't think you have to hit a "home run" on these calls, but going "...um....er.....duh..." is a drag on your chances.

I actually had one client get a call when he was out of town on a military trip, so he contacted me and THEN was ready when the phone call came. Even if you don't go to that length of preparation, I can't help you if you don't get the chance to interview! So...don't wait until the interview call comes to start mentally rehearsing for your interview! Certainly, if someone says "I'm giving you my Blue Dart" then you need to be READY for the call at least 8 weeks prior to the next batch of interviews.

This is a different game folks, but like it or not if you want to work for JetBlue you have to be ready to roll from the start. Don't them them sneak up on you!

Good luck!

Last edited:
AlbieF15 said:
Board Regulars,

I just got a sad PM from a very well qualified and experienced aviator who did not get the chance to interview in person with JetBlue as he pooched the phone interview screening....
First...get out of the habit RIGHT NOW of answering your phone and have your spouse, significant other, or roomie start picking up the darn thing. If they ask for you, have them say you are "out" then set a time to call back. . . . I think they may be expecting "too much" out of someone during a cold call. I don't know exactly what the rules or criteria are yet for success, but I see no reason at all to accept a call out of the (pun intended) BLUE if you aren't ready to discuss professionally some of your experiences and work history.

Here is what I suggest. First...if you have an app in with JB go NOW and download some questions from the various gouge sites (my site has a link if you don't have them...) and start organizing a few basic answers to typical questions. Once you've gotten your call, then you can be ready for call #2 when it finally does come. I don't think you have to hit a "home run" on these calls, but going "...um....er.....duh..." is a drag on your chances. . . .

This is a different game folks, but like it or not if you want to work for JetBlue you have to be ready to roll from the start. Don't them them sneak up on you!

Albie's right! It's a different game now. I know the pilot he spoke of. Great guy, too. He admittedly got caught off his feet with this phone call, and stumbled.

After witnessing this experience, I have to agree with Albie on this point, though there may be a sound reasoning behind a pre-screen phone call for other employees, I don't favor it for a professional position like airline pilot. Too many variables in play that could detrimentally effect the outcome so critical to one's career.

Just my opinion, though.

Red
:)

AlbieF15 said:
Re: Don't answer the &*%$ phone!

And...you may not get the chance at the interview altogether! I may not agree with what we are doing (phone interview wise that is) but whether it is ethical or not, it's still happening. It doesn't matter whether it is right or wrong, it is reality and if you are serious about an interview and a career at JB, you might want to be prepared for the call. I don't know Albie, but I know his reputation as a solid dude that preps guys for a JB interview. I will say this though; if you are the kind of person that has a "don't answer the phone" type personality, you are probably not JB material. I am sorry if a few good folks got nixed because of the phone interview, but the simple truth is that they are making the calls, and you best be ready. No threats, just friendly advice from someone in the know.

C ya and good luck

I was also caught very off guard on the call and am in no way an expert on this, but I managed to squeek by the phone interview and make it to phase 1. In waiting with phase 2 well underway.

My call lasted about 30-35 minutes and consisted of 5 or 6 "TAT"questions with the final question asking what I knew about the company. The pilot that spoke with me was very friendly and professional. He gave me a brief moment to give each question some thought while he jotted down notes. Very laid back.

Best advise I know is to shift as quickly as possible into your laid back story telling mode. Don't go into too much detail but be sure to completely answer the question. Definately keep it positive and try to come up with something you learned from the event...especially a negative situation. If you are in an environment in which you are not able to talk, I would certainly recommend being honest about it and they should be willing to set up a better time to chat.

I would highly recommend spending some time with AlbieF15 on the prep for phase 1 interviews. Invaluable!! Just a few thoughts from someone trying to wait patiently for the BIG call.

Good luck to all of you!

When I got the call from them a couple of weeks ago, I was caught completely off guard. When the HR guy asked me if this was a good time, I told him I needed 30 minutes to "get back to a place where we could talk". I cringed at saying that, but you know what.. he had no problem with it. When he called back 30 minutes later, I was in a better position to answer the questions. I was subsequently invited for an interview.
I guess the bottom line is that if you are not ready to take the call, just politely tell him to call you back when "conditions are better". Doing that is a lot less offensive than saying.... Ummm.. ahhh.. Well....
In anycase, it worked really well for me. Good luck to everyone else waiting for the "pop quiz".

IMHO

I can completely see the theory in Albie's idea, but I have to agree with 320. I have to believe the purpose of the call is to see "out of the Blue" if you are JB material.

I got my call in the shower, answered the phone naked and wet (yes, no kidding). I was on the phone for 35-40 minutes. I thought at first it was a background check type deal for a friend. I had given up on JB calling due to other people with similar background already getting the nod. So, yes it caught me way off guard. That being said, I am a pilot looking for a job. The best job I can find. I have read the gouge on all the type questions that can be presented. I was able to muddle through the phone interview on that "proper prior planning..."

I believe that the folks at JB are straight shooters, who realize they are catching you off guard ... I think that is the whole point. I also think that if they catch a sniff of someone dodging the interview, so they can prep and gain advantage over the person who took the cold call, the outcome will be disasterous.

I got the interview and passed phase II, but I don't think that clouds my judgement on this issue. There are a lot of great pilots out there and I wish them all the good fortune that I have garnered. But luck is manufactured. Just my 1/50th of a buck.

Dug

Please explain to me how surprising someone on the phone and evaluating how they answer some TAT questions (while in the back of their mind they know this could shape their whole career...and life for that matter) determines if one is "JB" material or not? Why don't we adopt a reserve policy like this? We never tell our pilots what their reserve schedule is...just call them up out of the Blue and expect them to be ready to fly. Hopefully they are sitting there in uniform, bags packed 24/7 ready to go. Sarcastic maybe, but come on! We are in a business where only after careful planning and preparation do we go and do our job. This poor guy Albie talked about, did we really and truly give the guy an honest chance at a great job, did we really and truly evaluate his abilities and personality through a surprise phone call? Sorry, I love it here, but I have to say that in my opinion this is a ridiculous way to evaluate a candidate. I think the whole phone call thing is fine, whatever, get to know us, but in no way should it be the determining factor. Make it part of the interview process maybe by jotting down a few notes for the interview team. It could read "While obviously caught completely off guard, in a fight with his/her spouse and a passel of screaming kids in the backgroud, dead tired from getting off the night shift and displaying signs of inebriation, tension, nervousness, and lack of outgoingness because the bills are piling up on furlough status and the industry is in a shambles, the candidate scored a 5 out of a possible 10 on the JB material phone evaluation". My .02 is this is assinine, needs to be changed, and the guy should be called back, apologized to and invited in to interview.

Phone Interview?

I gotta agree with IB6 (ROFLMAO at the name) about the "out of the Blue" telephone interview. HR might as well just start showing up at guy's houses like the Publisher's Clearing House Prize Patrol and then fail him becuase he didn't answer the door in his interview suit.

JB is going to be passing over some really great guys because they surprised him at a bad point with a make or break telephone call.

I think the really great guys/gals will answer the phone. Those who want to work at jetBlue and have what jetBlue is looking for are not afraid to answer the phone. They welcome it!

Everybody has a bad day. The phone interview doesn't let you have a bad day.

With that being said, this is the way they have been doing it from day one and it should not come as a surprise.

Latest resources

Back