Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IMHO

Let me get this straight.

You want a job with Company A, so you apply and wait for the call. What are you doing in the mean time? Are you learning about that company, their interview process, the style, the questions that have been asked previously. Have you done your homework and pre-flighted yourself over and over getting ready for the interview of a lifetime? Or have you sat back and waited for the phone call and then plan on cramming?

This isn't college, and it ain't the minor leagues.

If you are having a bad day, I think the interviewer will be able sense that is the case and understand you putting off the interview. If you aren't ready because of alcohol, kids, personal issues etc. then take the interview later. If you aren't ready because you haven't prepared, I kindly refer you to the six P's (prior planning prevents pi$$ poor performance).

You guys really think that an online app tells a story? Give me a break. At the point your name comes up in the computer I don't think your hours or equipment matter anymore. The company spends money letting you interview, I think they should have a little latitude to see if it is going to be a waste of that money.

All that being said, I do think that they should make an appointment to do the interview within a day or two of the initial call. That way none of the personal issues would be in the way and they would still get an assemblance of an "off the cuff" interview. But, I am not the one making the rules.

It seemed to me like the initial post was to try and get some good info out and feedback that could be used constructively by someone getting the pop up call from jetBlue. I'm sure many could benefit from any positive ideas.

Seems like this has turned into a slam session on jetBlue and their interview practices. It is just part of the deal.

Bottom line, this is the way they are doing it for now and those that choose to apply just need to be aware of it and try to prepare. It really was not as intense as this thread has made it out to be.

Every other business field will do the phone interview prior to an invitation to come in for a face to face. Maybe Jetblue's selection process of just having the computer look at numbers to generate a list is flawed. Why letters of recommendation don't come into play until called for an interview, I don't understand. I know they are trying to keep it from becoming the good ole boy network. Meanwhile, I hope to get a call.
I was told to say can you give me minute to go to a private place. Then in that minute or two as you tell the kids to leave daddy alone, you grab your notes, take a deep breath and the show begins

Flying Freddie-

I just heard that PC's at et Blue will now be conducted in the same manner.

You will be roused from sleep with a bucket of cold water, driven to the sim and immediately given an oral and checkride. Glad you're so good.

ArchieF16 said:
My understanding was the biggest reason we've gone to the initial phone interview was because in the past, there were several people who looked great on paper, but that it was painfully obvious the second they sat down for the interview, that they were not, for whatever reason, meant to be hired at JB. Bringing them to the inteview was a waste of time (for both parties) and $$ for JB since they pay for transportation and lodging for all interviewees.

I think this will be a temporary problem, and, unfortunately, there were one, maybe two potential classes that were caught off-guard. Now that EVERYONE knows that this is how JB is operating, instead of being prepared the day before the face-to-face interview, those interested in being hired by JB should be ready to get the call the second they hit "enter" on their online application.

If someone is not in a position to answer the call....in the car, changing diapers, whatever, no one needs to feel they HAVE to take the call.....just explain the situation and set up for a mutually agreeable time in the near future. I have heard Dean talk about this and he is not out to burn anyone or illiminate potential pilots......good luck to all out there, it's worth it!!!!

I couldn't have said it better Archie, but you beat me to it. The whole reason for these phone calls is just simply economics. It's like this; we were bringing in 80-100 applicants and before the day was out, we had eliminated 25-30 of them because they simply weren't a cultural fit. It was decided that we could probably/maybe save some money and effort if we did an informal phone type interview first and get a little feel for the candidate. Let's face it, anybody can have thousands of hours and college degrees out the yang and still not be a good fit. jetBlue is not attempting to trick or surprise anyone with these calls. And, my original reply was not meant to cast bad vibes on Albie's advice. All I was trying to say is that my recommendation was to answer the phone. Even if the answer is "gee, you caught me at a bad time, can I call you back when I am better prepared, or please call me back tomorrow, that would be better for me". To me, if I were the caller, that would tell me that the Interviewee was honest, and wanted to be at their best. No tricks, no games, just business. Think of it this way; some folks are at their best when they are not face to face, so maybe some of you can gain a advantage with this phone call. Ever think of that? You could make a friend before you even showed up for the interview!! I could never figure out why people are so suspicious of something new or away from the norm......just human nature I guess??

But whether you, I, or the others out there like it or agree with it, doesn't matter. It's reality folks and if you are serious about a job here, take the call serious. Once again, just advice from the inside. Good luck to all.

C ya.

economics?

Yeah, it must cost a lot to fly a few folks to NY and put them up in a hotel. If economics are the problem, I'd rather be told I had to pay my own way up and put myself in a hotel in order to simply have the courtesy and professional respect of an appointment. Some other in demand MAJOR airlines actually manage to pull that off with no shortage of qualified applicants. Its not the phone call that is distasteful, its the telemarketing aspect of it that is so deplorable, not to mention the implication that if you have the jetBlue STUFF you can handle it, but otherwise, sorry you just aren't our type. I hope Chuck Yeager is making the calls for you guys.

If the pilots are so bad in the interview but look so good on paper, what makes you think you will be able to tell that they aren't a fit over the phone. Some pilots will sound good on phone, but will still goober up the interview when they are in the cattle call. Then what will you do to save from interviewing pilots who aren't jetBlue material?

Can't wait to see whats next.

Re: economics?

Falconjet said:
Yeah, it must cost a lot to fly a few folks to NY and put them up in a hotel. If economics are the problem, I'd rather be told I had to pay my own way up and put myself in a hotel in order to simply have the courtesy and professional respect of an appointment. Some other in demand MAJOR airlines actually manage to pull that off with no shortage of qualified applicants. Its not the phone call that is distasteful, its the telemarketing aspect of it that is so deplorable, not to mention the implication that if you have the jetBlue STUFF you can handle it, but otherwise, sorry you just aren't our type. I hope Chuck Yeager is making the calls for you guys.

If the pilots are so bad in the interview but look so good on paper, what makes you think you will be able to tell that they aren't a fit over the phone. Some pilots will sound good on phone, but will still goober up the interview when they are in the cattle call. Then what will you do to save from interviewing pilots who aren't jetBlue material?

Can't wait to see whats next.

Yes, in fact it does cost quite a bit to fly 80-10 guys to NY, put them up, transport and feed them, pay a staff of 20-30 pilots on paid days off to interview them, not to mention a host of other expenses. Wait, I have an idea!! We could charge the applicants like the majority of the "majors" did....boy, thats a real good idea. Then maybe we could charge them for their training?? Well, maybe you don't like our system but then I bet the majority of the applicants would agree our system is better. If you don't like it, don't apply, but then I get the impression you weren't interested anyway, which is fine.

And, we tried to get Yeager to make the calls, but he was busy.

And why do you even care "whats next"??

C ya

Not bashing 'Blue!

Well...standard...anything with JetBlue in the thread gets heated in a hurry:rolleyes:

Jetblue320--I see the economics and it does make sense to me to make sure you get the right folks. Like I've said before--I've met some really great folks at your team, and I think you guys have a great culture. It won't stay great without your efforts, and I applaud that. The vigorous background checks probably save you having a guy/gal who you would regret for 20 years...

My point in the original thread was there was no need to stutter and stammer if it REALLY was a bad time to talk. If you have a head cold, a sick kid, or whatever...own up to it and fess up and see if you can do this at a later time. You tell me...would that be a foul? Would it take a guy out of the running? DGS or Joint Ops got an opinion? JayDub? Flipper?

The point to candidates is if you have an app in, it behooves you to do some prep NOW and be ready for a phone call. Prep doesn't mean calling me or Craig Thorton yet, but rather that you simply do some logbook review and put some thought into your work history and be ready to chat. I've had folks ask me for help for an interview 2 nights prior to the NY big day! Folks, this is not the time for procrastination!I'm proud of what I offer, but I can't get you ready on my own--you have to think, reflect, practice, and then practice some more to be able to express yourself to an interviewer. Start early, and take some time once a month or so to give yourself a "mock" question or two and do some research. Waiting until a week prior can be overwhelming. Some guys are naturals, but most of us can use a little practice here and there. Again...my point is when you send your app in do some research ASAP and start thinking about what you will say when you get your interview--don't wait until 3 weeks prior to CRAM for your final.

As a strategy, I might consider writing down some things I want JetBlue to know about me, and have some stories about your experiences that relate to say.... Safety, Caring, Fun, Passion, and Integrity.... Have a story or two handy about a time you helped a customer, had a conflict with a co-worker, etc etc (go to the gouge sites and you'll get an idea of the TYPE of question they usually ask). You don't need to have rote memorized story--you'll like sound stiff and get shot down anyway. Rather, you need to take time to reflect on YOUR experience and YOUR capabilities so you can recount your info when called "out of the 'Blue".

Doesn't matter if we like the process or not....as Brett Farve said about his streak of losing in the Vikings Dome..."It IS what it IS". This process, although not perfect, may be here for a while. Like I told me bros on the never ending peace keeping nightmares at Prince Sultan AB....it s*cks, and its going to s*ck for 90 days. So you can get tough and strap on a good attitude or you can be miserable for a long time, but those of us stuck in the tent with you would appreciate it if you tried the former out for a while." JetBlue has proven they don't mind being flexible and changing their minds, and if the powers that be decide this doesn't work they'll adapt. In the meantime, if you want to work there...better start having a gameplan for that call.

No kidding...this wasn't meant as flamebait starter. Just want folks looking for work to be at their best. Hope everyone gets what they want...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back