• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FEDUPPILOT

Reposted from an APA email:

To all pilots,

As some of you may have heard, C A R T Y, wife, & son went to PVR on Feb 14, and are returning tomorrow (Monday).

The flight was oversold and 3 First Class travelers had to be bought off the trip to get ***** & family on board.
Even though the rules limit a buy off to $300, these 3 pax were bought off for $500 each.

$1500 total loss ot the company. No, it will not break us.

But coupled with Jane Allen's debacle going on vacation two months ago buying off first class pax for her family, you can imagine the message this sends about the depth of the danger of the company going bankrupt, or management's true attitude towards this possibility. They either are secure enough in their inside knowledge that this danger is not as imminent as they claim in the press; or, bankruptcy *is* a real imminent threat, but it does not worry them--they are secure enough in their seats of power that bankruptcy simply means "re-structuring labor contracts" and is no real penalty to them, for if it was, as leaders of the company, they would not dare flaunt such high-profile, in-your-face extravagances.

Rumor has it that agents all over the system are angry. In DFW, agents are passing out photocopies of the PNR and the cost to buy off the 3 passengers.

Rumors abound of a ramp worker slow down at DFW today.

The Dallas Morning News has been notified and is very interested in this story.

The Ft Star Telegram has been notified also.

They are due top arrive from PVR tomorrow--how about a welcoming committee of employees in uniform to meet them as they come out of customs? They are due in at 7:12 p.m., flt. 322 from PVR-DFW.

One pilot phoned a domicile rep to say "How dare he ask for money because the company is going bankrupt and then he displaces 3 revenue passengers at a cost of $1500 to go to PVR."

:mad:

Once, again..........

This is an example of poor management and the lack of leadership at most airlines.

A manager goes about business as usual and tells labor "I'll take a pay cut if you do first!" The same manager also tells workers "I take a pay cut every time the value of AMR stock goes down." Bob Crandall said those words two different times when questioned about his requests for pay cuts and productivity improvements. I was employed at AMR when he made the statements. I do believe them.

Carty seems no better. His actions, and those of Jane Allen, are not the actions of leaders. Leaders are willing to do the same things their employees are and demonstrate same by doing so first!

Carty, and his team, have a tendency to shoot themselves in the foot frequently. Did Carty and Allen need wheelchairs getting on and off the airplane?

I heard when Pan Am was going under, the CEO's wife started taking the champagne and cutlery from the First Class Cabin.

Delta3 said:
I heard when Pan Am was going under, the CEO's wife started taking the champagne and cutlery from the First Class Cabin.
Same thing happened on Air Force One at the end of the last administration. Money doesn't buy class.

FEDUPPILOT said:
As some of you may have heard, C A R T Y, wife, & son went to PVR on Feb 14, and are returning tomorrow (Monday).

The flight was oversold and 3 First Class travelers had to be bought off the trip to get ***** & family on board.
Even though the rules limit a buy off to $300, these 3 pax were bought off for $500 each.

$1500 total loss ot the company. No, it will not break us.

But coupled with Jane Allen's debacle going on vacation two months ago buying off first class pax for her family, you can imagine the message this sends about the depth of the danger of the company going bankrupt, or management's true attitude towards this possibility.

I don't know what's going on over there at AMR, but Crandall never would have paid $1500 to bump pax off for his family - he would be too cheap. Maybe he would just have some of the staff tough guys rough them up in the bathroom prior to boarding so they 'decide to take another flight'.

At ATA, George would never try to bump pax, he'd just have one of his Lears take the kids on vacation with him. He did step on his d!ck, though, by listing the staff of his 120 ft yacht as business expenses to ATA. No word yet on the process to list non rev for a ride on the big boat.

Re: Re: Don Carty Has No Shame!!!!

In the interest of completeness I'm posting the official management explanation:

The oversale on American Airlines' flight 323 February 14, Dallas/Fort Worth to Puerto Vallarta, was handled in a routine manner. When agents determined the flight was overbooked and there may be a possible oversale, volunteers were solicited and compensated with $500 travel vouchers, well within prescribed limits for international travel ($800 maximum). No passengers were bumped involuntarily and no passengers were bumped from first class. In fact, one coach passenger was even upgraded to first class

All volunteers were accommodated on another flight two hours later, just as procedures specify. Mr. Carty and his son flew in coach and Mrs. Carty flew in first class, by the way the reservations were made more than a month in advance. When Mr. Carty and his family arrived at the gate, the oversale had been resolved and neither he nor his family were aware of it. In the event of an oversale, employees traveling on A1 to A5 passes are not required to give up their seats. A1 are crewmembers traveling to assignment, A2 are AA officers (business and personal travel), A3 are deadheading crewmembers, A4 are level 8 managing directors and A5 are union officers (business and personal travel).

I trust that Mr. Carty's travel is not being used as an opportunity to derail the constructive discussions with management and employees currently underway. If anyone understands the seriousness of the challenges our company faces, Mr. Carty certainly does.

Just the Facts, please!

As a furloughee, I would love to jump on the CEO bashing wagon. However, I would tend to believe the official report posted by TWA dude.

I flew Mr. Carty and family from STL to DFW last October a few weeks before my furlough. His wife sat in F/C and he sat in Y/C with his son who is too young to travel in First. He did not pre-board with his son; he waited in line with everyone else, and followed all the rules.

As far as the Crandall comments, I worked at AA when he was CEO and had witnessed him travel with his AMR groupies, all in first class. He always traveled with his ego, limos, etc.

In contrast, Mr. Carty often travels without the "groupies" and rents economy cars and drives himself.

Now if you want to rip on the direction and leadership of the company, go ahead, but to repeat information without personal knowledge is petty.

Jeff

There's always two sides to every story.

I think we've seen both sides and I think I can comment.

What kind of leader gives up his salary in one way to help a cash strapped company after Sept. 11th?

I'd say a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ed good one.

If you want to do it right, get a Canadian to do it.:D

Silver Lining

Don't know how popular these flights are for AA but it is good to hear the plane was full. Hope AA made money on it!

Latest resources

Back