Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Silver Lining

SDF2BUF2MCO said:
Don't know how popular these flights are for AA but it is good to hear the plane was full. Hope AA made money on it!

Lot's of flights are full these days because ticket prices are at a twenty-year low. Unfortunately the majors are losing around $3000 per takeoff. Only the Low Cost Carriers are able to make a profit on leisure fares. We need a healthy business environment back before the majors can make money again.

Re: Re: Silver Lining

TWA Dude said:
Lot's of flights are full these days because ticket prices are at a twenty-year low. Unfortunately the majors are losing around $3000 per takeoff. Only the Low Cost Carriers are able to make a profit on leisure fares. We need a healthy business environment back before the majors can make money again.

Not all the LCC's can make money in this environment. Downward pressure on ATA's ticket prices (due at least in part to the below cost discounting by AA and UAL) have dumped our average ticket price by $20 in the past year. If our management is to be believed (and I don't have any reason not to in this case), if last year's ticket prices were still being sold we would be dramatically profitable instead of marginally in the hole. Nothing more depressing than kicking non revs off a completely full flight and still not making any money off of it.

Let's not miss the point here. The point isn't whether or not pax were bumped, or whether Crandall would have done the same thing. The point is that Enron Don p!ssed away AMR money ($1500 to buy off three pax) so he and his family could go on a weekend getaway.

AMR is in big trouble. We are headed for bankruptcy. Carty, who was paid $7.1 million in 2001, is demanding the employees give up their benefits, pay, and in some cases, their jobs. And as the walls are falling down around us, he burns AMR money to buy off paying customers so he can take his family to Mexico.

Carty is an embarassment.

Is it verifiable - That's the point!

Dualrated:

My point is can it be verified? My personal experience and observation does not reflect the acquisation. More over the people that are making the most of the noise don't appear to have ties to AMR, let alone to be in a position to know the facts.

I just hate smoke screens that take the focus off the real issues. If we are to heat up the hot-oil and light the torches, I just want to make sure we are doing it for the right reasons.

So post it!

Fastpilot

eom

FastPilot, I don't know if what you posted was supposed to be for public consumption. It may be perfectly legal, but just don't want to see anyone get in trouble.

Huh? What's that about fastpilot?

Anyway, when you make as much as Don Carty makes, he should pay for his danm tickets. Chump change to him. If he's willing to "give up" his salary to help the airline, then he can pay for his tickets. Dude is rich enough to buy fractional time. Why not do that and avoid the embarrassment and hostility it generates with the rank and file.

I'll bet Carty's net worth is well over $50,000,000.

The symbolic value of what he did will hurt him badly.

Penny wise and pound foolish. Just ask Martha Stewart about saving $45,000 on insider trading and getting pounded in the stock market for $200,000,000.

Jeff,

I didn't think that verification was even an issue here, because a management spokesman confirmed it. What else needs to be verified? I appreciate your position and past experience with Carty, but I think this incident focuses the attention on the real issue. The real issue here is our management team.

Fifteen hundred bucks worth of vouchers isn't the issue. That's not going to make or break AMR. That amount wouldn't keep anyone from being furloughed, or get you recalled any sooner. We both know that. The issue here isn't even that we are being asked to make huge, unprecedented sacrifices while our CEO can't even be bothered to wait for the next flight and save the company a few bucks. The issue is that Carty is so unbelievably out-of-touch with his employees that he thought no one would notice when he pulled a stunt like this. They noticed. Within hours, the paperwork from the flight and the pax bump was photocopied and spread around DFW in crewrooms and break rooms.

This is the guy that is supposed to navigate the ship through the straits. This is the guy that we are supposed to trust with our concessions, with our careers. He wants $1.8 billion from us, and he's just shown us, in front of God and everybody, that he can't even be trusted with a lousy $1500 bucks.

By the way, I have ties to AMR. At least for now. I'm guessing I'll be furloughed when Carty "leads" us into bankruptcy this summer.

Good luck to you, Jeff. You are probably a lot more optimistic about AAL than I am, and I envy you for it.

1/2 empty vs 1/2 full? It's just at 1/2!

I just wanted some facts and I got them, thanks.

I first started at AA in 1989 and have been on furlough for 3.5 months, I didn't get the memo.

Dualrated: I don't know about optimist, I just like to get the facts before I make judgements. I hope the company can get back on track. However, after loosing my seat and seniority, I am looking for other employment. If I get a good gig, I will leave all this BS behind and never flip another switch for the AMR corp....or AMR LLC!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back