• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DOJ Criticizes CAL UAL Immunity Request

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Merger or die. It will be nice to see a bloody oozing sore covered by a 25 year band aid called CAL ALPA defend its weakling self with empty threats, non-action, selfish pilots and double talk while it rolls over on the CAL pilots.

25 years of selfishness with pilots who think they got away with but haven't. Once a bloody oozing sore always a bloody oozing sore, ie. CAL pilot.

There is no reforming a traitor who will take another pilots job.

While this may be true we all know that without a merger UAL has serious problems going forward and few give them any chance to survive on their own. Deep down (and sometimes publicly) everyone at UAL knows they're circling the drain. Years of arrogance and poor management have left a once proud carrier desperately seeking a savior. The last few weeks have seen attempts to raise cash. First UAL announces an aircraft order that no one believes is serious or would yield a single airframe inside of 8 years. The aircraft order a ruse to convince potential buyers of the newly released bond program that they are investing in a sound carrier with plans to grow and prosper. It's readily apparent there is no plan forward, no plan to become viable. Instead, "right sizing" to make the company attractive for "merger" aka last ditch buyout.

CAL has plenty of losers (98% of which are holdovers in IAH), there is no question about that. In the end, this isn't about CAL. It's about UAL and what piece of UAL is left to merge with. CAL had a look at those books and walked away from the deal. Depending on which analyst you choose to subscribe to CAL would be much better off shopping the inevitable fire sale scheduled for sometime in the coming year. Here's some light reading for you.............

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124630802244770103.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/bondsNews/idUSN2959811120090629

It's never been about what's good for the employees short term or long term. It's about what's the best for investors and how quick it can line the pockets of executives. So what doesn't make sense to us, makes perfect sense to the executives. I never thought until today that a merger is going to happen. Sadly, I think I'm wrong and it's going to go down this year. Here's to a tanking career!!!

Heyas,

If UAL wanted a merger, they missed the boat. The NWA/DAL merger was a shoe in because of the administration. The current administration is sure to do a complete rectal exam.

If CAL doesn't want a merger, but the DOJ blocks their anti-trust immunity, things may get complicated.

Nu

DOT has final ruling - which is in favor of CAL joining the STAR alliance. DOJ only reccomends, DOT is the final approval authority.

It's never been about what's good for the employees short term or long term. It's about what's the best for investors and how quick it can line the pockets of executives. So what doesn't make sense to us, makes perfect sense to the executives. I never thought until today that a merger is going to happen. Sadly, I think I'm wrong and it's going to go down this year. Here's to a tanking career!!!

Dude, you sound like a broken record. Honestly, buck up - the only thing you can control is being the best flyer you can be. If we merge with United (which I don't think we will for years to come) - so be it. It is what it is.

Americans under Carter saw double digit interest rates and gas shortages and 4 years later enjoyed a great economy under President Reagan. Things will get better.

Take a step back and look at the big picture. Right now you're at an airline that constantly takes the top airline award from Forbes, is #1 in customer service from multiple sources, and has a pretty darn solid management team. Things aren't so bad.

Last edited:
Dude, you sound like a broken record. Honestly, buck up - the only thing you can control is being the best flyer you can be. If we merge with United (which I don't think we will for years to come) - so be it. It is what it is.

Americans under Carter saw double digit interest rates and gas shortages and 4 years later enjoyed a great economy under President Reagan. Things will get better.

Take a step back and look at the big picture. Right now you're at an airline that constantly takes the top airline award from Forbes, is #1 in customer service from multiple sources, and has a pretty darn solid management team. Things aren't so bad.

Uuuhh, so how does that help us? Who cares CAL is winning awards? How does that help our situation? Solid management team? They hedged at 140 bucks a barrel. Buck up? Just hand over that pipe you're smoking.

\

Ha! Pan Am, EAL, Piedmont, etc. use to have all of these things as well.

Uuuhh, so how does that help us? Who cares CAL is winning awards? How does that help our situation? Solid management team? They hedged at 140 bucks a barrel. Buck up? Just hand over that pipe you're smoking.

Fair enough - feel free to lose sleep over crap you can't control. In the meantime I'm looking forward to a couple of Bogota overnights coming up next month.

Fair enough - feel free to lose sleep over crap you can't control. In the meantime I'm looking forward to a couple of Bogota overnights coming up next month.

I'm not losing any sleep over anything other than being sick as a dog with swine flu......I think. There's nothing wrong with having an interest in my career. Sure, I can't do anything about it, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. When we merge with UAL, my career....AND YOURS...will take a vertical dive. Enjoy Bogota!!!

After age 65, the economy, and swine flu start panning out I am afraid a merger will be the final kick in balls to a junior hire at CAL like me. Waaaahhhh. I know, but still, ALPA guys keep insisting that they have a plan in place to guaranty I will be in the same "relative" spot if a merger should take place. There's a big difference between a company growing and hiring to fill the spaces and one that just instantly doubles with pilots in place. Just don't want to go from a working job to waiting in line behind 1000 once furloghed pilots due to date of hire.

Latest resources

Back