Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does the military use the same phonetic alphabet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Everyone screws up

405 said:
I had pilots asking for "forgiveness" more than once when I was a military controller. Don't forget that we're all human. Controllers screw up sometimes and so do you.

No doubt everyone is human, but the stakes are a little different. If I screw up - i'm dead, my fault. If the controller screws up- I'm dead, and I will still be found at fault because of all the regs that say the pilot is responsible for...blah, blah, blah. The controller still gets to go home to the wife and kids and tell them how bad his day was. Meanwhile, my family gets to watch the news as my body is recovered with a wet-dry vac, a pair of tweezers and a spatula.

Everyone makes mistakes- Reading back a clearance wrong, giving the wrong freq, using the wrong callsign, bad vectors to final, these are mistakes. Airplanes swapping paint- a little more than a mistake.

I got my private pilot's license at a military aero club in a fixed gear Cessna, and I still had to make a gear down call before landing!

Actually all USN aircraft are required to make the gear down call, not just CNATRA aircraft. (http://neds.daps.dla.mil/Directives/3710/six.pdf Para 6.2.c). Personally I think it is a good idea, even if the landing checklist has already been done, I force myself to look at the indicators to double check while making the call. If we switch to tower early, I'll call them back after the gear is down and locked, even if at a non-military field.

Last edited:
trashhauler said:
I got my private pilot's license at a military aero club in a fixed gear Cessna, and I still had to make a gear down call before landing!

When flying into EFD for some practice approaches or lunch at Pee Tee's I always got the "check gear down" call no matter what the airplane.

Response was "gear down and welded....................":D

I'm glad they do it, nobody's perfect and in single pilot airplanes you've got nobody to verify the "three green". If a military airplane comes in gear up it costs us all (well, most of us) $$$$.

Last edited:
All USAF aircraft are required to make a gear down call regardless of where they are landing. We fly out of a civvie airport everyday, and they couldn't care less whether we make the call or not. We have to remind each other in the 4 ship sometimes. We may be cleared to land when we report 5 mile initial, but we still make the "Base, gear, stop" call or the "Glideslope intercept, gear down" call. It usually not acknowledged by the civ controllers, but we're still required to make the call. I'm all for it. Although I've never tried to roll off the perch gear up in 11 years, there is a first time for everything. As a single seat guy, you ask for all the help you can get sometimes...hence the 300-1 req. Lot's of 200 hr C-172 guys have told me, 'hell, I'm 200-1/2.' Congrats. But when is the last time you saw a single seat guy crash on an ILS solely due to WX? Guess it's working.

Latest resources

Back