Does the a hat make you a professional?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Very nice surplus!

As for me, I am already bald so I do not have to worry about that problem. I wear the hat to cover my big shiny head and protect it from the elements.

Don't be a dork

I saw a young regional FO in an airport today with a hat that looked two sizes too big. His head was pushing up the top of the hat and the hatband was touching his ears. That hat made him look like a dork--worse than a bus driver or bellhop--not exactly professional.

Here's a tip for those who have to wear hats--get one that fits! The hatband should fit your cranium such that the top is flat. A well fitting and clean hat can make some people LOOK more professional, but it doesn't make them a professional. Your skills, knowledge, judgement, and attitude make you a professional!

Can we make deriving 121 Alternate Mins part of the Commercial MEL ride, and take the time saved in ground school to spend five minutes on teaching people how to wear a uniform...at least military guys can do that. There, I said something nice about y'all, happy now?

It is true, however, that you can judge the morale of a pilot group by uniform standards...the answer however, isn't more uniform standards. JB usually look squared away...JMHO

Re: Don't be a dork

dgs said:
I saw a young regional FO in an airport today with a hat that looked two sizes too big. His head was pushing up the top of the hat and the hatband was touching his ears. That hat made him look like a dork--worse than a bus driver or bellhop--not exactly professional.

Here's a tip for those who have to wear hats--get one that fits! The hatband should fit your cranium such that the top is flat. A well fitting and clean hat can make some people LOOK more professional, but it doesn't make them a professional. Your skills, knowledge, judgement, and attitude make you a professional!

On his professional regional FO wage he probably cannot afford a hat so he borrowed one to get by.

Ummmm ....yeah

I'm guessing you're meaning me. Since I'm married to you.

Um, what's this "ladies" sh*t?

I heard that Delta's PWA requires all codeshare partners to wear hats. It further states that any airline not in compliance will have all of their codeshare contracts with other partners voided, their airplanes sold, and the proceeds donated to ALPA PAC.

Hey the hats are great, it makes us just like Greyhound.

At one time when airlines and pilots were respected by the general public, a hat was more applicable. The hat was part of a uniform worn by a respected professional. Now the public sees us a little more than bus drivers who are "overpaid and underworked."

It's funny how hats get people so worked up. I was a city cop for 6 years, one time when handling a fatal accident--in the process of extricating a dying person--the mayor drove by and called the station to ask my shift commander "why the officer isn't wearing his hat."

I just wish they weren't so dammed expensive and delicate.

Personally, I would be pleased to permanently exile my hat to the closet shelf. However, when you accept employment, you do so under the conditions specified by your employer. If you don't want to wear a uniform, get a job that does not require it.

The uniform does not make you a professional; but a professional wears it properly.

Latest resources

Back