• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.
  • Logbook Pro for Apple iOS version 8.1 is now available on the App Store. Major update including signature endorsements and dark/light theme support. Click here to install now.

Does Jetblue have any SCOPE?

coogebeachhotel

Total Time
Can the company give 190 flying away down the road once the management figures out a regional can do the same level of service for at least 10% less.

flatspin7

TOGA!!!! TOGA!!!
Total Time
2 +1
Well the fact that Jetblue doenst have a union (yet) means that Management can do what ever it wants.

A350

Keeping my 2.5%
Total Time
Cooge:

Were you here during the E190 integration? Management used ExpressJet to cover certain flights while the E190's were sent to BNA for mods.

Management will be the first to tell you that they (ExpressJet) did a great job, but that is not the experience that our customers have come to expect.

While management can do it, the question one would ask is why? If it were money, they would never have brought the E190 on the property to begin with. If money were so important, we wouldn't have a lot of what we have outside of our contracts.

A350

waterski

E90 335i
Total Time
7500+
Well the fact that Jetblue doenst have a union (yet) means that Management can do what ever it wants.

Right, ALPA will be able to avoid it.

coogebeachhotel

Total Time
Cooge:

Were you here during the E190 integration? Management used ExpressJet to cover certain flights while the E190's were sent to BNA for mods.

Management will be the first to tell you that they (ExpressJet) did a great job, but that is not the experience that our customers have come to expect.

While management can do it, the question one would ask is why? If it were money, they would never have brought the E190 on the property to begin with. If money were so important, we wouldn't have a lot of what we have outside of our contracts.

A350

Expressjet pilots running Jetblue 190's in Jetblue colors. That is a bit different.

Back to my question. What is to stop them?

SpauldingSmails

Aboard the sloop.
Total Time
>7000
Or JB management could just impose a lower payscale, again there's nothing to stop them from doing that even.

Bavarian Chef

Registered jetBluser
Total Time
Or JB management could just impose a lower payscale, again there's nothing to stop them from doing that even.

They did that already. They lowered first year pay. It's still an upgrade from Cape Air though.

Those that got pay raises did so because JetBlue found a way to finance them and make them cost neutral.

PTS for example. Now I just fly sick rather than lose the premium pay.

Sorry, back to scope.

EatinRamen

Total Time
4500+
I still can't see how a regional carrier would be cheaper than doing it in house. The only real added expense is slightly higher wages for the crew.

Other than that, with an RJ partner, the fees an airline pays to the carrier are going to cover the same leases, maintenance, landing fees, handling fees, fuel, training costs, etc. Not to mention, they are also paying for the regional carrier's profit margin.

coogebeachhotel

Total Time
Just another form of outsourcing my friend

Dizel8

Douglas metal
Total Time
Huh?
It may not be cheaper, but it is called leverage.

Lets all go cower in the corner!

rattler

Total Time
More so than cost savings on crew pay, outsourcing 190 flying means JB doesn't shut down if their is a job action. Delta learned that lesson with Comair.

coogebeachhotel

Total Time
And off-load 1.5 billion in long term debt in the process

Bavarian Chef

Registered jetBluser
Total Time

Pilotbob3

Total Time
16000+
They did that already. They lowered first year pay. It's still an upgrade from Cape Air though.

Those that got pay raises did so because JetBlue found a way to finance them and make them cost neutral.

PTS for example. Now I just fly sick rather than lose the premium pay.

Sorry, back to scope.

False, individual contracts with the pay rates prevent them lowering pay. the first year guys on the property were grandfathered in because of the contract. new hires will get the lower rate, but no one has it now.

Bavarian Chef

Registered jetBluser
Total Time
False, individual contracts with the pay rates prevent them lowering pay. the first year guys on the property were grandfathered in because of the contract. new hires will get the lower rate, but no one has it now.

Semantics. Whether we have any on property is immaterial. The rate was indeed lowered in the 2008 Amendment to the PEA. Did you ever think that one of the results of the PCRB would be to lower any pay rates?

What's to keep them from lowering it further, like CAL's first year rate for example?

Last edited: