Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does a DUI 3-5 years ago Kill your chances of getting hired?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

N813CA

Yeah buddy
A friend of mine at Comair has a DUI 3-5 years ago. Is he screwed at getting hired at another regional? It's only on his driving record as he got it taken off of his criminal record after probation. If you think it is me, than you are wrong. I would just post it is me, as you don't know who I am.

Let me guess. He went to AA where they convinced him his alcoholism was a "real disease" and he found god, shaped up, and is now living a clean life.

To answer your question, nobody here really knows. I've heard of guys getting hired at non-mesa regionals with DUIs. GoJet may take him. Beggars can't be choosers. Especially ones with DUIs.

It's a pretty big handicap when you consider all off the qualified applicants with a clean record. It won't stop someone from getting an interview but you better have a pretty good story when it comes up. A clean record since the DUI likely won't cut it, involvement in HIMS and/or volunteer organizations would be a good start.

I wouldn't think that its entirely a deal breaker but there a number of variables. A good friend of mine got a DUI about five or six years ago and was subsequently hired by a regional and more recently a heavy cargo carrier. There are certainly a ton of highly qualified applicants these days and my friend had a great deal of time ranging from RJ's to 747. Maybe that helped him and overshadowed the DUI, who knows? My disclaimer is that I'm not a pilot and may not fully understand all of the dynamics of your hiring processes. However, I certainly wouldn't lose hope completely and would be honest about the DUI if (when) it comes up in an interview.

Ok. Here is one more big question for him. Since he doesn't have it on his criminal record, and from my understanding the airlines don't look past 5 years on the driving record.... Should he even tell them he got one?

Ok. Here is one more big question for him. Since he doesn't have it on his criminal record, and from my understanding the airlines don't look past 5 years on the driving record.... Should he even tell them he got one?

With the PRIA if he doesn't and they find it he will never get hired, and if they discover it after he is hired he will be terminated immediately. Complete honesty is best.

It's only on his driving record as he got it taken off of his criminal record after probation. If you think it is me, than you are wrong. I would just post it is me, as you don't know who I am.

I am not familiar with DUIs on your driving record, but shouldn't it be possible to remove it by talking to a good traffic attorney? I know quite a bit of pilots who had speeding tickets, paid an attorney and didn't have to worry about anything showing up on their record. I guess it should work for DUIs, too. I assume that with $$$ anything is possible and that there are procedural variations from state to state.

won't matter during the 2012 hiring boom, just like a college degree will no longer be a show stopper at most airlines due to a shortage of 1500 hour pilots

You either answer truthfully or you don't.

Also, I want to see evidence that "airlines don't look past 5 years". Hell, the state MVR they asked for went back 7. I'm not saying it isn't true. I just find it hard to believe they are only interested in the last 5 years of your driving record.

I think the fingerprints for the FBI background check will go back 10 years, and will show an arrest on record. It may not show what he was arrested for but it may only show the arrest and that in itself will raise questions. Just be honest!

Latest resources

Back