Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does a DUI 3-5 years ago Kill your chances of getting hired?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is the US of A. You can get anything done with enough $$$. Just look at our politicians (now & then). Talk to a specialized traffic attorney to get your DUI removed. It'll cost you, but that's the price for a piece of mind.

When your friend gets asked on his medical, or job application, have you ever been arrested for DUI? you would have to say yes, or lie.

lots of responses and thanks. I can only answer what I know. His fingerprints from the FBI come back clean, as he had to do that to get back into Canada. I have only heard that the drivers record only go back 5 years. As far as "get out of aviation". I don't think i will tell him that. The two drunk pilots that flew NWA from FAR-MSP both got jobs after prision. One is at NWA and the other is at American. As far as a good traffic lawyer.... Thanks I will tell him about that.

Uh, fact check

lots of responses and thanks. I can only answer what I know. His fingerprints from the FBI come back clean, as he had to do that to get back into Canada. I have only heard that the drivers record only go back 5 years. As far as "get out of aviation". I don't think i will tell him that. The two drunk pilots that flew NWA from FAR-MSP both got jobs after prision. One is at NWA and the other is at American. As far as a good traffic lawyer.... Thanks I will tell him about that.

1. FBI record, driving record, etc or not, if he disclosed it on his FAA Medical application (per regs), that record is not "going away".

2. Electronic Print checks on the border (entering USA) do not reveal prior arrests they just hit on outstanding active arrest warrants and any existence on look-out, terror lists. Again this is inbound, INTO the USA. If soccer mom in her mini-van is entering, minimal checks will be done. If a bearded guy from Algeria tries to enter, with blueprints to the Statue of Liberty, CBP will take a DNA sample and give him a colon exam. So his DUI may (and is likely) still "findable". You said he was getting back into Canada, it is unlikely he even interacted with CBP or any other official if he is exiting USA.

- Fingerprints "came back clean" how are you aware of this exact event ? Discuss because I think you are lacking some info on how things work. What do you even mean by "came back clean?"

3. NWA Captain Norman Prouse, returned to NWA, largely because NWA's CEO or another upper manager had struggled with alcholism and realized a bad decision didn't make someone a bad guy. That was 1990. Times are prob different today.

4. Driver's records are held by State authorities. How far it "goes back" is anyones guess, but if a criminal felony conviction exists on his record, it is never going away. Period, end of story.

5. The CoPilot, Robert Kirchner is at or was at Atlas Air as of recent as a 747 Captain. Not American.

6. If he doesn't tell, and they find it, he might be blacklisted forever, via word of mouth by the HR folks at the various companies. Hey, its not impossible in todays age of interconnectivity. If he tells, comes clean, etc, hey, maybe he gets hired.

7. Get a lawyer, etc. The time to do it was 2 minutes after his DUI arrest. 3-5 years later, save your money. Lawyer can't do anything at this point.

QUESTIONS:

Did "your friend" disclose this on his FAA Medical application?
During court/legal proceedings did his employment or even mere fact that he held a FAA pilots license come to light?
Was it the first DUI and if so, why was it not pled down to reckless driving or similar charge. First time arrests for DUI rarely result in actual DUI conviction unless you really earned it (ran over someone, crashed into a building). First time DUI one block from home and no other issues is gonna end up reckless driving.

I raise my "more to the story" flag on this one...

Last edited:
I think DUI's are misdemeanors, but it doesn't really matter. In order to get hired, he would have to lie on his application. They specifically ask for any and all criminal/traffic convictions on every major airline application I've ever seen. If they don't find it, which they probably will, it's a matter of time before the rumor makes it back to the company. Why risk that? Time to go get that MBA and do something else.

why was it not pled down to reckless driving or similar charge.

DUI laws are so easy here. There needs to be mandatory sentences, like first offense, lose the right to drive for 5 years ("reducible to 3" if the FAA designs the law). That way, guys like this guy's buddy would think twice before driving intoxicated.

I don't know what information the company has access to and how far back it all goes and I'm not willing to find out the embarrassing, shameful, and potentially career ending way. My driving record was horrendous prior to accepting a job with my current employer and I made absolutely certain that it was going to be the first thing I discussed during the interview. Tell your friend to be a man. If his actions lead to undesired consequences, there is only one person to blame. Otherwise, if he owns up to his mistakes, makes a special effort (and I mean seriously flipping go out of your way effort) to discuss this with the company prior to anything else, I think his actions will pay off.

DON'T:

"Okay first question, how's your driving record?"

"It's good"
(But only because it was over 10 years ago and/or your rich parents paid a lawyer to have your DUI expunged)

DO:

"Okay, first question, what is your tot..."

"Actually, before I waste our time, I just want to discuss my sh(beep)tty driving record..."

(Obviously, don't interrupt the guy but you get the idea... :D)

This is the US of A. You can get anything done with enough $$$. Just look at our politicians (now & then). Talk to a specialized traffic attorney to get your DUI removed. It'll cost you, but that's the price for a piece of mind.

You may be able to get it removed from state/local records, but never the FBI records, which what the TSA background check uses. Even though a DUI is not a TSA no-go offense, the airline will probably still see every arrest and conviction in your FBI record (for significant offenses, parking tickets, minor moving violations, and very minor misdemeanors probably don't show up)

Since the FBI records are used for national-security purposes, you cannot get anything expunged from them. This is OK for most industries because civilian employers don't normally have access to those records...airlines being an exception.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back