Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does a DUI 3-5 years ago Kill your chances of getting hired?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
my buddy got in trouble going into Canada for an arrest in the 70's, domestic with ex-wife, even though he was never convicted. He has to carry a letter, saying he was never convicted, only arrested.

It'll make it that much harder is all. At times, it'll mean nope, no interview...at other times it'll be overlooked. Just depends on how bad the airline needs pilots and how many qualified candidates are available.

I know that even at the PEAK of the hiring at ASA (late 2007) one of the pre-interview questions was about DUI/driving record...

A DUI can be a felony if a death or serious injury results. A "first time" arrest, driving home from the club, one block from your driveway, no other factors, and you were nice to Mr. Officer, will be pled down to reckless driving or possibly even dismissed completely.

In Texas a DUI arrest for the third time, is a felony, irregardless of cicrumstances.

There is usually no automatic "its a misdemeanor." That is up to the prosecutor (DA) handling the case. The simple case above will be the typical exception.

You may be able to get it removed from state/local records, but never the FBI records, which what the TSA background check uses. Even though a DUI is not a TSA no-go offense, the airline will probably still see every arrest and conviction in your FBI record (for significant offenses, parking tickets, minor moving violations, and very minor misdemeanors probably don't show up)

Since the FBI records are used for national-security purposes, you cannot get anything expunged from them. This is OK for most industries because civilian employers don't normally have access to those records...airlines being an exception.

This is a nice piece of info since it shows that you can't hide a DUI even if it's expunged. Imagine those guys that put no to a DUI thinking it doesn't exist anymore.... Just man up. A DUI is a very hard thing to explain, put yourself in the interviews shoes, would you want to hire someone that is capable of getting a DUI? Unless you have 8 planes ready to be flown with 2 people interviewing, the answer is NO. So make sure you justify your cliche explanations by doing community service or something to say to them that you have changed.

Just for some clarification

An "FBI record" is "born" when your prints are submitted to the FBI via physical print cards mailed to FBI by the arresting agency OR via electronic fingerprint submission. In almost all jurisdictions if you spent the night (or a few hours) in the local jail for anything, your prints went to the FBI, for ID, etc purposes.

No prints, no record. Prints, you probably got a FBI record. If you got asked to "come down to the station" to "take your prints" but were allowed to go home after that (pending the prosecutor reviewing the case, etc) your may still have an FBI record.

Prints + Arrested + spent ANY time in local jail = 102 % chance you have an FBI record.

FYI for those who think they can "outsmart" a bunch of electronic databases that all talk to each other.

Last edited:
lots of responses and thanks. I can only answer what I know. His fingerprints from the FBI come back clean, as he had to do that to get back into Canada. I have only heard that the drivers record only go back 5 years. As far as "get out of aviation". I don't think i will tell him that. The two drunk pilots that flew NWA from FAR-MSP both got jobs after prision. One is at NWA and the other is at American. As far as a good traffic lawyer.... Thanks I will tell him about that.

Canada is the big deal.

i will have to ask him these questions. His probation stated that if he was good for year that the DUI charge would go away. It was his first. He had his fingerprints taken at the local police station and sent them to the FBI with money asking for his criminal record. They came back reporting no criminal record. Yes he told the FAA and when he got his medical. So are you saying they can look into that? I agree he should just be honest. If this "pilot shortage" really happens it won't be as critical.

Dont forget about the Problem Driver Pointer system that searches the national driver registry. If there was an action against a drivers license (revoke, suspended, etc), it will be on there. and air carriers must submit that paperwork to search it

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back