Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yoga!

Hello all!

I was going to write this as a stand alone post, and maybe I will one day but for now I'll write it here. YOGA!!! I know, I know, a lot of people have very funny ideas about what yoga is, but I assure you Yoga is about the best thing you can do for your body. You will build strength, flexibility, balance, concentration as well as improve the connection between your mind and body which is something very useful to all pilots. I recently took a friend who is a slave to the free weight room to a yoga class. He was extremely sceptical as to how intense yoga could be. Anyway, the class kicked his ass. It's funny when you realize how great a workout you can get using your muscles to work against each other and gravity.

Another plus is that you can do yoga anywhere, with out any other equipment other than yourself, which makes it convenient as well as cheap once you have learned what you're doing. Before those of you write me off as some kind of a loony nut, look at your fellow pilots. Look at the round bellies hanging over blue slacks. Look at the sagging backs from years of poor posture. I find it strange that our profession, which requires a certain medical standard, leaves so many of us in poor health. For those of you who want the best and most brutal workout you can find, check out a Bikram Yoga class. It is a series of classic yoga poses done in a very hot room, so the muscles are very loose and pliable. Yesterday, I got my heart rate up to 161 bpm while basically standing perfectly still on one leg while holding my foot. Sounds crazy, but if you try it you'll see what I'm talking about. I hope some of you check it out, it'll make you better. Try www.bikramyoga.com for a class near you, or try some other type. Some Yoga is fast and difficult, other kinds are slow and deliberate. Best of luck to all!

Wait till you are fifty, when you wake up in the morning you are tired and stiff just from carrying your flight bag through the terminal. Then you have to work out not to get a six pack, but just to keep the ol' ticker going. Women say they like a six pack but they sure like to rub those big bellies...

I knew a big ole' fat check airman at ASA - he bought a catamaran, and holding that rope on the sail was wearing out his right arm.

So he bought one 20 pound dumbbell, and sat in front of the TV every night, doing curls with his right arm. Not the left - no need to work out too much!

All of the a/c listed on my profile are meant to be a joke. Im 25 and have time in various singles and a lot of time in BE 58's and a CE550 type.

Yes you do need 2 people to wrestle or do BJJ. I have done shadow boxing before, I agree its a good workout, BUT you will never duplicate the shape of a world class wrestler or even a good D 1 college wrestler. We woke up in the mornings at 6 for a 2 hour conditioning practice, followed by lifting weights after lunch. I would go back to my room to study from about 1-4. Then we had our real practice from 5-7ish. I was sucking down 3 proten shakes a day and consuming around 3500 calories a day. I was in the single digits in body fat and felt fantastic.

I could get by on much less sleep then and hardly ever felt tired even if I didnt get much sleep. I know I probably wont beable to duplicate that now because of time contraints. I would be very happy just getting half way back to where I was. Im almost embarissed (SP?) taking off my shirt now at the beach even though I still look better than most of the other guys. I just really miss all the benefits of being in great shape ie fell great and getting lots of looks from all the girls.

I kinda figured since I don't really know of any American Concorde pilots! Yeah, you really can forget about training that much on the road. I used to plan everyday saying to myself yeah when I get too the hotel I will do this and that and the next thing ya know your holding and going to your alternate and waiting all night for the hotel van. Your plans can easily change. Yes, most boxers don't life weights. Weightlifting makes you alot slower and stiffer for the most part. thats why you really never see any big bulky fighters because they would get killed in the ring. Tyson though is another animal. Yes, I would gobble down 2 shakes of designer protein a day. At 160 though i had a hard time keeping at that weight but really don't want to move higher up. We do about five miles of running and roughly 1000 different repitions of fifteen different type of ab exercises. No joke either. For upperbody we just do pull ups and pushups. Like I said we don't life because of the way it effects your handspeed. Good luck man.

I don't work for a FRAC but I do work out on the road.

Like you, I hate to miss a workout. I do everything I can to find a gym to complete my workout.

If, I can't find a gym then I walk and do "Isometrics," in my room.

DesertFalcon

Latest resources

Back