Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

B-J-J Fighter

Royce Gracie in Action
I was wondering if its possible for most of you to workout on the road? I fly 135 weekdays and Im home every night. I cant stand missing workouts. I love lifting weights and running. One thing that scares me away from the Fracs is being gone 7 days sometimes. I love having a set schedule and woudnt mind 3 or 4 day trips if a made a career at a regional. My queston for the other people on the board that lead a life of fitness is it hard for you to workout on the road. What are ways you use to get your workouts in? What about you fractional guys, do you have time on overnighters to workout? Thanks for the info.

"Flow With The Go"

One of the pilot's I fly with, placed fifth in the stongest man weight lifting competition 7 years ago. He has had to change his weight lifting ways and become a body builder because of his travelling.There aren't that many companies out there, that are on the road as long as we are. (We have brokers in most major cities world wide) If your disciplined enough you can find the time. Most hotels have agreements with local gyms( for free or usually $5/day). Also there is a Gold's or World gym in over 90% of the places we stayed at. A call to the FBO where you will be RON'ing (that sure sounds funny)might give you a heads up on the areas gyms and discounts. If that fails the front desk of your hotel will have some details. If all else fails you're left with 2 options; use the hotel's 30 year old universal equipment, or put your sneakers on and run. It should be no problem for you to work out on the road unless you are consistantly getting the minimum 10 hrs rest. In that case life sucks.

workout

I used to fly as a F/A for a fractional (until it became obvious it was the worst company that ever existed, but that's another story) and it was easier for me to accomplish a workout with the fractional as I could, well, bring more "stuff." Once I met my airplane, I generally stayed with it all week, so as long as I could stuff it in the plane, an extra bag could be carried. If I needed it, I could bring it with me to the hotel and if the layover was too short, I could leave it. BTW, one hotel workout I have is to get to the tower or a nearby hotel's tower, and run up all the stairs, then go down the elevator and repeat that over again.

I noticed you are "BJJ Fighter." I used to do BJJ. Just try to employ some ground work in your hotel and try to hook a co worker on the sport (which is not easy) so you can fake a workout.

If you don't work out you become a "wide-body." On the road you will find out that it is a pilot's passtime. Always a place to workout one place or the other. If you wind up in a cheezy hotel just run the stairs up and down a few times, that will get you winded.

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess you just have to be creative to workout on the roads sometimes. Very occasionally when I do overnighters I can get in a workout. I just want to make sure when I astart doing overnighters a lot, I will be able to workout mosst of the time.

Yes I train BJJ, have been for 4 years, I tain with Jacare, who did you train with? John Lewis in Vegas? I have trained at his school a few times. Thanks for the info, theres no workout like BJJ though.

hey there. Its really hard to train on the road #1 because your enviroment is always changing. You may be in a nice big room one day then a really tiny one the next. With a commuter it can be tough because you sometimes get min rest and even if you have lots of rest when you do 6 or more legs in a day it can be taxing. I box amatuer and I would have turned pro by now but because of this lifestyle Its hard to be consistant. I have done BBJ and no offense but I really don't think it compares to boxing, especially sparring. Good luck

I work out religiously when i'm home..it's really tough to work out on the road, especially after flying 8 legs, with duty times that often exceed 14 hours, The bed looks much more attractive than the treadmill if you know what I mean.

Bid reserve, stay home, GET BIG.

Last edited:
Airspeed, I have also done some boxing, its a very good workout but not the best in my opinion. Amateur wrestling is the best workout in the world. I wrestled on a scholorship in college and I was 190 lb brick sh#t house. Of course I did a lot of lifting weights as well.

Im trying to work off this little gut I have now and get back my six pack for all our female friends. ANd yes Im tring to get big, I want to be back in the single digit body fat percentages. I just need to keep sucking down a few protein shakes everyday.

Yes, keeping a six pack can be a full time job. Diet means alot but so does a great ab workout. I'm sorry but i still have to disagree with you on wrestling as I too have tried it and while it is taxing I have never felt so worn out after sparring for an hour. I see you have flown some interesting A/C. How did you end up flying the Concorde? Are you French or British? How old are you? Doesn't BJJ require 2 people to workout or are there techniques you can do on your own?? Thats whats great about shadowboxing, Have you competed on the NHB circuit?

Speaking of six packs, that is my work out. I focus on my lower back while seated at the hotel bar and my huge biceps while drinking beers. Very good workout, in fact I do not need my belt anymore to hold up my pants.

Latest resources

Back