Do you use nitrogen?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A Squared,

Well, I typed an entire post of about 50,000 words to respond to you. My cpu glitched and I lost all the info.:smash: All-in-all it was just to say that you basically offended me and that is why I responded as such.

A Squared, you have offended me since your first response to my posts on a thread years ago. In fact, the only time you respond to me is when you feel like putting me down. Does that make you feel good? You have no idea what my education is or my background. You feel that just because my background includes Gulfstream, that my posts are no longer credible. That is why I brought the subject up. You and I know that is the truth that you feel that way. I have to say, it is not right. You should have a better attitude towards your fellow pilots. Your referal to me as "scum" is unjustified.

My post was informative and proper in response to the level of pilot that was asking the question. You were wrong about one thing, and so was I. You broke my entire post down to say it was all wrong and, in its context, it was not completely wrong.

Please, have some respect for me and never respond to my posts again. Unless, of course, you can be civil. In that light, I will return the favor. This is my last only attempt to be civil with you, so please don't waste it.

Here's what it boils down to guys, physics aside.

Since air is 78% Nitrogen to begin with, making the jump to 100% nitrogen does not create some huge difference in the two compositions inside the tires. Trace gasses aside, the difference between the two is oxygen and water vapor.

Oxygen gas is one of the most reactive free substances on earth. If it wasn't continually replenished, it would very quickly vanish from the atmosphere as it oxidizes (corrodes/rusts) rocks, minerals, rubber, metals, etc.

Anyone who welds knows what oxygen can do. Once you get metal bright red with oxy/acetylene, you can turn OFF the acetylene, and blow cold, pure oxygen on the hot metal. It causes the metal to burn, and the reaction can be used to cut large sections of metal, without a fuel gas.

Water vapor is also problematic in that it can condense (think fog) when the interior of the tire gets very cold. Droplets of moisture can get wicked to sensitive (metallic) areas, causing hidden corrosion.

My point is that both oxygen and water vapor are bad juju for tires that see minus 50C to +200C or whatever they get to with hot brakes. I doubt very much that any significant benefit is tied to permeability. It's all about corrosion and degradation of the rubber.

Jesus Harold Christ, for a bunch of physical chemists you sure can fly planes- and pee quite a distance.

A Squared has been the most right the most often in this thread; I'm impressed. Especially when he nailed the binary N2, and how covalence, not weight, makes the binaries their size. 'Swhy an H20 is much less dense than a binary 02; not just weight, but the topography of each molecule itself is of a totally different set of orbits, and the mass is diffused from the polar - out towards each polar + in water. Not to mention water's behavior chemically and physically; just a little bit completely screws gas behavior. So, N2 is a wise choice for predictability, slow leak, and inability to corrode anything or feed a fire.

And no, N2 isn't inert- but the spirit of the word "inert" holds true. Good job, A. I'm truly impressed.

However.... the DUMBEST THING I'VE EVER READ ON THIS WEBSITE was H402, for math reasons?! Holy crap, you're a moron.

Oh, Gorilla- good one. Just read it.

Two true or false questions:

1. Water is a binary acid.
2. Hydrogen is a metal.

/chemical engineer that drives planes

Sig said:
Two true or false questions:

1. Water is a binary acid.
2. Hydrogen is a metal.

/chemical engineer that drives planes

I'll bite. Water dissociates into H+ and OH- ions in equal quantities, making absolutely pure water a pH 7. There's sure to be some energy associated with it, and at any moment a given % of H2O molecules are in fact dissociated, but it's going to be very, very small.

Hydrogen chemically behaves like a metal due to its position on the periodic table, but its physical attributes are obviously not metallic. It is suposed that under enormous pressure, it would in fact form a nice happy metallic-looking substance that might superconduct, but IIRC the pressures are unbelievably high.

Do I get a dork award? :0

Looks like some of you need to go back to grade school. There is no such thing as a "molecule" of Nitrogen, any more than there is a "molecule" of Helium".

UA-RESURRECTED said:
Looks like some of you need to go back to grade school. There is no such thing as a "molecule" of Nitrogen, any more than there is a "molecule" of Helium".

Ahhhhh, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. In your case, a *very* little knowledge. You knowledge is missing some pretty important parts.

Nitrogen isn't normally found as a single atom. It is however found in abundence as two atoms bonded together by a covalent bond. Do you happen to recall what we call two or more atoms bonded together by a chemical bond? It's a molecule. THat's right, a molecule of N2. The reason you don't normally have Helium molecules is because helium has a complete valence so it doesn't normally form chemical bonds, and it exists as a single atom. It's pretty pathetic that you're getting sarcastic when you don't grasp even the fundamentals of chemistry yourself.

Have you planned your return to grade school yet? You may want to step up that timeline before you embarrass yourself further.

A Squared,

You CANNOT take atomic nitrogen and break it down into molecules.

I stand corrected that nitrogen occurs nearly exclusively in the diatomic form, and that is in fact what is used in aircraft struts and tires.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back