• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do you use nitrogen?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Race cars use nitrogen because the tire pressure will remain the same with high temps. Also, on a jet aircraft, how would you get 270 psi into your main tires with an air compressor?

HEADWIND

Since I do have slow leaking aircraft tubes, and a bottle of nitrogen with regulators which is normally used for other purposes, I will now fill the tires with nitrogen.

This forum has served a purpose on this subject; and I report back in a few months to a year or two, to let you all know how the nitrogen has stood the test of time, compared to ordinary compressed air in a GA airplane.

The_Russian said:
Whats wrong with Layman's terms?

You looked that one up for this didn't you? It takes a lot to bust my balls, huh?

Hello? Did I not say that? It takes large temperature changes to change the state of the gas.

More Wikipedia BS you really didn't know.

Uhhhh, it was ALL right.

For any other gas to get near the carcass of the tire, it would have to be trying to enter the tube. Hey moron, nothing is trying to come IN to the tire! Did you forget that the pressure in the tire is HIGHER than the outside air? Geez...try harder next time.

Jerk.

And another thing. You need to stay off my back. I am tired of you running your mouth about me. You don't know a lick about me, so shut it.

How old are you? Why are you such a sore loser? Why can't you learn to take criticism? Why can't you accept it when your wrong? Why do you have to let your bad temper show in your responses? Why can't you think straight when your flustered? Why don't you change your call sign? Why are you such a name caller? Why don't you grow up?!

<munching popcorn> ;) This is a slow motion train wreck. Russian? Your turn.

I'll be back later, busy today.

How old are you? Why are you such a sore loser? Why can't you learn to take criticism? Why can't you accept it when your wrong? Why do you have to let your bad temper show in your responses? Why can't you think straight when your flustered? Why don't you change your call sign? Why are you such a name caller? Why don't you grow up?!

Old enough. I am not a sore loser. Nothing I posted was incorrect. And, that should be noted instead of me being ripped apart be someone who doesn't like me. I can take criticism but not from someone who is just doing it because they dislike me. A Squared has made that clear on previous threads. A bad temper in arguments and not being able to think straight when someone offends me emotionally are some of my downfalls. Every human has some of those. I will conceed that! I am not going to change my call sign because I am proud of where I have been in my life and stand for what I have done. I should not be ashamed of who I am because others don't like my career path. Name calling is fun. People call me names on here all the time if you haven't noticed. I don't think I'll ever grow up. I'm a Toys 'R' Us kid!

And BTW.... If A Squared was really interested in correcting those who were wrong on the subject for the benifit of this thread, he would have ripped apart the other ten posts that were wrong just like he did to mine.

I don't know what the rest of you are breathing, but I breathe in over three times as much nitrogen than oxygen every day since the earth's atmosphere is 78% nitrogen and only 21% O2.

The_Russian said:
And BTW.... If A Squared was really interested in correcting those who were wrong on the subject for the benifit of this thread, he would have ripped apart the other ten posts that were wrong just like he did to mine.

Actually he did rip apart a few other posts, not just yours, however, you are the only one who can't admit that you were wrong.

mtrv said:
Since I do have slow leaking aircraft tubes, and a bottle of nitrogen with regulators which is normally used for other purposes, I will now fill the tires with nitrogen.

This forum has served a purpose on this subject; and I report back in a few months to a year or two, to let you all know how the nitrogen has stood the test of time, compared to ordinary compressed air in a GA airplane.

Why not perform a controlled experiment? Inflate one main tire with ordinary air, and one with nitrogen. Take tire pressures before and after every flight. Record them carefully in a table or graph. Report back to us in twelve months on your findings. There might even be some government grant money available to finance your research (and as a side benefit, your flying)!

Around here, there is a retail automotive tire store chain that advertises "Nitrogen Inflation" as a significant benefit for cars...because the molecules are bigger and don't leak as rapidly as oxygen ones. It always makes me smile to think of the people who pay a premium for that 22% of gas in their tire that isn't oxygen.

I'm no gas expert (though I can hold my own against anyone when it comes to producing it) but it seems to me if oxygen molecules leak out faster than nitrogen molecules, at some point in time there would have to be a very small percentage of oxygen molecules remaining in a tire vs. the remaining nitrogen molecules.

Headwind said:
Race cars use nitrogen because the tire pressure will remain the same with high temps. Also, on a jet aircraft, how would you get 270 psi into your main tires with an air compressor?

HEADWIND

No, that is NOT why race cars use Nitrogen. ASQUARED is correct, all gasses follow the same law of PV=nRT. If temp goes up, pressure goes up. Do some aircraft tires really require 270 PSI? Well even if they do, there are air compressor systems that can easily handle it. Not every air compressor is like the one out in your garage.

Here's a link to Ingersoll Rand about the benefits of Nitrogen:
http://www.irtools.com/products/nitrogen/

Latest resources

Back