Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll see you in Birmingham in 3 days.

quote]

No, you won't see them, you never made it to the airport. The family will make it, they drove. The airline you were going to fly dropped that route pairing and destination because six months ago they raised fares, then after two months of 40% load factors, they stopped flying there...

Your fractional jet will cost you $15,000 round trip. Enjoy!

now who the he11 are you, Mr. Scoreboard with 2 posts?

(although what you said is probably true..)

No, you won't see them, you never made it to the airport. The family will make it, they drove. The airline you were going to fly dropped that route pairing and destination because six months ago they raised fares, then after two months of 40% load factors, they stopped flying there...

Why is it that the public expects the cost of everything to go up when fuel prices rise, but they expect airfares to go on sale?

Why is it that the public expects the cost of everything to go up when fuel prices rise, but they expect airfares to go on sale?

I think the average consumer fully expects airfares to rise in this environment. Fares are indeed rising. Two things we know so far: They haven't come up enough to cover costs, and they haven't come up enough to keep people from flying. Therefore, keep the fare hikes coming!

It's just like what's going on at the gas pump....people gripe plenty, but they have get around, so out comes the credit card. In this new world of stratospheric gas prices, however, change will finally happen. Thirsty SUVs will be replaced in time by more economical choices. People will make home/job choices that help to shorten their commutes. More mass transit. You may even see people on (gasp) bicycles! I know--I rode my bike to the bagel shop and my wife looked at me like I had lost my mind!

Air travel will change as well. People may vacation closer to home and skip the expensive tickets. Companies will invest in and use more videoconferencing technology.

Most of these changes are way overdue and I welcome them. It's embarassing that our country uses a quarter of all the world's petroleum.

You are absolutely right!

We are basicly paying 1970's prices for airfare - that with inflation thrown in means we are paying less to fly than we were 30 years ago. Result of deregulation? Maybe.

It shouldn't be cheaper to fly than drive. In every other industry the consumer pays a premium for convenience and savings of time. This isn't the case with the airline industry. It's all backwards and the consumer has come to expect it.

I just don't get it.

Jmoney, if is for kids. I-10 is paid for by tax dollars and that is why it isn't covered with toll boths. On the other hand Airlines are not paid for by tax dollars and they charge what they want. If anyone out there thinks bringing back the govt. will make things better they are crazy.
If an airline wants to raise fares they can do it tomorrow. When govt regulated the airlines it took 3-5 months to get a fare increase out of congress. Think how fast the airlines would be dropping out of business waiting for fares to change in this environment!

Latest resources

Back