Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Midnight Flyer

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Here's a quick check of fares from Orange County to Birmingham in July, one way.

Personal Car: (22 mpg @ 4.50/gal; 10 hours per day; 2 hotels, not including wear and tear on your personal car.) - $600 (30 hours)

AmTrak: (unreserved coach) - $1,000 (80 hours)

Greyhound: (three transfers) - $183 (2 days, 9 hours)

Delta: (SNA-ATL-BHM) - $180 (9 hours total travel time)

And the beancounters don't like to raise fares because they think they'll lose all their customers. Where are they going to go?

PASS THE COST OF FUEL ON TO THE PASSENGERS!!

The fare is listed below, for you "source" police. :p

Delta 1780
Boeing 757

Delta 1597
Boeing 737-800

Price per passenger: $159.00 (USD)
Taxes/Fees: $21.00 (USD)
Total per Passenger: $180.00 (USD)

Thank you Jimmy Carter!!!

That moron turnd this industry loose on itselfand what we have now is a system that provides a service at far less than it costs to produce that service! Airlines behave as a utility from an economic point of view-plain and simple. They should be treated as a utility to protect service.

Just imagine if I-10 from FLA to CAL was "deregulated" and anyone could open their own toll section, charge whatever they wished to let people cross a bridge, etc! You would have a similar situation-a completely screwed-up system which is on the verge of absolute collapse! Chaos!

-Thanks once again Jimmy-you dictator-hugging commie SOB!

Last edited:
Thank you Jimmy Carter!!!

That moron turnd this industry loose on itselfand what we have now is a system that provides a service at far less than it costs to produce that service! Airlines behave as a utility from an economic point of view-plain and simple. They should be treated as a utility to protect service.

Just imagine if I-10 from FLA to CAL was "deregulated" and anyone could open their own toll section, charge whatever they wished to let people cross a bridge, etc! You would have a similar situation-a completely screwed-up system which is on the verge of absolute collapse! Chaos!

-Thanks once again Juimmy-you dictator-hugging commie SOB!

Hey moron.....We do have that system - ever heard of Toll roads? If municipalities or state govt. wish to build a new road, without tax payer money, they can enter into agreement with a corporation who will build the road in exchange for the rights to charge a toll. It works great. The user should pay for the service; that's called capitalism!

Just think of the corporate planes, using ATC for free. Whilst our paxs pay 25% tax on their tickets. Do the rich fat cats pay any taxes? - No just tax on fuel, another tax airlines are forced to pay and pass on to our customers.

It is for reasons like this that I don't favor waiting for the airlines to strengthen in order to raise the wage of an airline pilot. The pilots are the ones that have effectively paid for these low fares. The only way you are going to make an airline pay you what you are worth, is to force them to do it, and maybe then you will see some results- like higher air fares.

I think McCain might be in favor of user fees for general/corporate aviation. Anyone know his point of view vs. Obama on this issue?

Hey moron.....We do have that system - ever heard of Toll roads? If municipalities or state govt. wish to build a new road, without tax payer money, they can enter into agreement with a corporation who will build the road in exchange for the rights to charge a toll. It works great. The user should pay for the service; that's called capitalism!

Just think of the corporate planes, using ATC for free. Whilst our paxs pay 25% tax on their tickets. Do the rich fat cats pay any taxes? - No just tax on fuel, another tax airlines are forced to pay and pass on to our customers.

You must be on drugs, sir!

Our interstate system is anything but "deregulated!" The Feds pay for about 80% of their construction and upkeep, and states are not allowed to just open and close the parts as they please!!!!

YGTBSM!

When the hell is the last time you heard: "The section of I-10 from FLA to TX just declared bankruptcy and is ceasing operations..... You will need to find and alternate route... Please contact you credit-card company to see about a refund."

The whole problem with the airline system is that after de-regulation, large airlines can and do stop operating-leaving big gaps in service and potentially a huge hole in our entire economy! That is unacceptable in other "utilities."

-Don't feel stupid-
-You will learn this sort of cool stuff when you hit the 8th or maybe 9th grade, Clearasil!

P.S.- Those corporate planes pay the exact same gas tax every airliner pays-retard! They just don't pay gate fees because they don't use gates.

-Damn, I guess most any idiot can use a computer these days!

Our interstate system is anything but "deregulated!"

He is talking about intrastate highways...not interstate.

Intrastate highways often paid for with bonds (i.e., Deregulated highway). The tolls then pay back the private bondholders. These private bondholders then make money from us driving back and forth to work.

just think of the corporate planes, using ATC for free. Whilst our paxs pay 25% tax on their tickeDots. Do the rich fat cats pay any taxes? - No just tax on fuel, another tax airlines are forced to pay and pass on to our customers.[/quote]

Don't blame corporate aircraft. We pay plenty in taxes and fees. Your working with a broken business plan, look in the mirror.
Now, if getting the "fat cats" to their meeting with ease and they can kick arse to raise more capital, more business, boost the stock price so you or your wife can stay employed, a simple thank you will suffice.

Cheers- Rum

Family of 4 = $720. For a family, driving still wins.

Hey Einstein, it was for one person, one way.

You can take your 2 kids and I'll see you in Birmingham in 3 days.

Thx for reading.

Latest resources

Back