Do you keep your CFI current?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just renewed mine.
If you ever let it expire and have to take a checkride to renew, you will know why its best to keep it current.
ORD FSDO saw me again a few months ago for this renewal.
PS they moved, so get detailed directions.
PSS they won't be happy unless you call for an appointment.
The basis of my renewal was ongoing pilot evaluations of First Officers.

Gup,

Yeah some will. An evaluation flight by a Fed is one of the ways to renew, and if they are going to be up there anyway you might as well get something to show for it. Sure doesn't hurt to ask. The trouble is most of them don't carry 8710s or their temporary certificate books, so you may have to do a follow up email/phone call, etc. If you are a CA at SWA (or any 121 carrier) a lot, but not all FSDO's will renew based on the fact you are responsible for evaluating other pilots at an air carrier. Some interpret this as being a check pilot only, however you are required to fill out probationary pilot forms, etc. and most Feds will renew based on that fact. I am too lazy to look up the reg but is in there somewhere in part 61 I believe.

As for me I keep mine current because of the reasons mentioned. It cost too much and was too much a pain to get to just throw away.

61.197 for those interested.

i came across what i consider good justification to keep it. was looking for a taildragger to rent, found a school that was in the process of getting one but they said if/when they get it they will only rent it out with an instructor. i asked 'em what if i was an instructor. with a shocked look on their face they said, 'well, i don't know.' then they wanted to know if i would be interested in doing some teaching. they were a little to flakey so i blew 'em off, but having the instructor rating i'm guessing would have allowed me to rent the thing once i was checked out with their instructor.

i agree that if you're going to keep it do the am flyers lifetime thing. one more justification to keep it, pay once, only cost ya' a little time from then on.

cheers y'all

I just think back about how time consuming it was to get my intial CFI rating. It only cost me a little bit of time to go online every 2 years and renew it. It seems like a waste to let it lapse. Like someone said earlier, many training departments at the airlines require you to be current if you want to teach.

Sweet. My minutes are passing by for Chapter 1 renewal, with American Flyers, as I tally the groups consensus. Seems like most of us desire to keep it as a way to give back or for the effort put forth to receive it.

I, as well, do a lot of GA and keep my Dad and Co-owner in good standing. It's always fun!

Ok, back to Chapter 1.

marathon fever.

You never know.......

You bet I keep them current. I used to work for the biggest flight instruction company and did tons of CFI revalidation for those poor souls who got hired at the company but had let the ticket expire. Ex airline pilots, ex military guys, etc. They sure were wishing they kept up with it. Almost every one of them had to redo the entire process all over again -- or no job!

Ol' FOI

If you let it expire and when you revalidate it, do you have to do the oral again?

It would be like taking CFI initial check ride again. So, you would still have to meet PTS standards. Oral and all. However, you wouldn't have to take additional check ride for the additional ratings, i.e. Once you pass a check ride again, you would get back all the ratings you used to have, as I recall.

If you are thinking about doing it, here's my advise: It's all about ol' FOI. If you know it well and can apply it, you're golden. Incidentally, when I did instructor standardization for my company, it was ALL about FOI. That was their business, after all......

Latest resources

Back