• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do you keep your CFI current?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What for? And please don't come up with the "resume builder" theory, because if you need to show that you can run around the pattern with a student to bump your resume. That is sad
Even if a pilot doesn't plan to teach in the future the fact that they bother to keep their CFI effective says something positive about that pilot's involvement with aviation. Aviation needs pilot's willing and interested in "bumping around the pattern with a student" that needs help. We've all been that student that needed help before.

I kept my CFI/CFII current (actually renewed it back in 2000) for several reasons. The first was so I could log time for my wife and daughters should they decide they want to learn.

Another reason was that although I had a military background, during my interview I wanted to highlight the fact I ALSO had some time outside the military--flying jumpers, working as a CFI, etc. What if they guy I was interviewing with never flew in the military? Instead of just being another F-15 jock, I was guy who perhaps had something in common with the interviewer... It is a nice ice-breaker, as MANY of us in aviation have done the "dual given" thing for while in our careers.

And yeah...I still like flying GA, and having a CFI means sometimes somebody wants you to jump in with them and show them something.

OK.... back up. Will the feds renew your CFI just cause they rode your jumpseat? On what basis? I'm all for that.

Gup

Just renewed mine. American Flyers online course. It's dull, but the price is right.

I may teach the kids if they show an interest, or teach part-time in retirement. Like others have said. I worked hard to get it, and don't want to lose it.

I keep mine current. I give my uncle a flight review every other summer and if I have any kids who want to learn to fly, I'd like to do it myself.

OK.... back up. Will the feds renew your CFI just cause they rode your jumpseat? On what basis? I'm all for that.

Gup

Gup,

Yeah some will. An evaluation flight by a Fed is one of the ways to renew, and if they are going to be up there anyway you might as well get something to show for it. Sure doesn't hurt to ask. The trouble is most of them don't carry 8710s or their temporary certificate books, so you may have to do a follow up email/phone call, etc. If you are a CA at SWA (or any 121 carrier) a lot, but not all FSDO's will renew based on the fact you are responsible for evaluating other pilots at an air carrier. Some interpret this as being a check pilot only, however you are required to fill out probationary pilot forms, etc. and most Feds will renew based on that fact. I am too lazy to look up the reg but is in there somewhere in part 61 I believe.

As for me I keep mine current because of the reasons mentioned. It cost too much and was too much a pain to get to just throw away.

Gup

it's not as prevalent as it used to be, but the answer is yes. if you are involved in "evaluating" in any means within your company (ie as a captain filling out probationary pilot eval forms) then they will renew it with a simple 8710. sometimes they would renew it for FO's as well, depending on the fed. it cannot hurt to ask.

we had the POI for eagle in the jumpseat (he was simply going back home to DFW from doing a station inspection) and in between small talk i simply asked if he had an 8710. he asked why and i told him my CFI was expiring in two months and was wondering if he would kindly renew it. he said sure, but alas he did not have one. he then gave me his business card wrote the name of a fed at the ORD FSDO and his direct number and told him to call him and tell him i flew with him. i did and the fed renewed it for me, a simple 8710 signed off by him. this was as i was a first officer and they said well technically you must be evaluating yadda yadda yadda, but all right.

Last edited:
I keep mine current. As with the other posters, it was a pain in the @$$ to get. Also, I still like to fly GA every once in a while. Just don't have that much time to do it. The biggest thing with me is who'll I'll fly with. I had to beg for students in the past and got placed in bad situations. Now, I'll only fly with extremely safe and anal GA pilots that I know.

I still renew via the American Flyers lifetime deal. Haven't instructed since 1995 and don't plan on doing it again -- but who knows.

Latest resources

Back