Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do you have anything in your bag I need to know about?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I had one of the screeners at a FSDO require me to take off my titanium watch. When I told her that it was non magnetic and would not set off the machine she proceded to tell me that the metal detector didn't care about whether it was magnetic or not, it detected metal. Rather than get into HOW it detected metal with her I just took off the watch...much easier.

kf4amu said:
Interesting info about the TIP Baja.

I recently got a 1" X 5" metal plate in my left arm which doesnt set off xray machines. Which is roughly the same size as a hefty knife...

Wierd.

I have 10 screws and 2 small metal plates in my right foot. Never had a problem with them, but they are made of titanuim.

So that begs the question would one of those titanium frame revolvers pass thru without setting it off?

woofer_77 said:
If your security system depends only on hoping the bad guy doesn't find out how it works, then you're in big trouble. A truly safe security system should not be able to be cracked even when the bad guy knows exactly how it works.

IF MAN CAN MAKE IT, ANOTHER MAN CAN BREAK IT!!!!!

atrdriver said:
I had one of the screeners at a FSDO require me to take off my titanium watch. When I told her that it was non magnetic and would not set off the machine she proceded to tell me that the metal detector didn't care about whether it was magnetic or not, it detected metal. Rather than get into HOW it detected metal with her I just took off the watch...much easier.

When I was a kid, my brother and I had a metal detector which we'd use to "treasure hunt", the quintessential dork activity. It was a lot of fun, and we scored a lot of jewelry and coins. The point I'm making is that metal detectors, and I'm pretty sure the TSA uses standard metal detectors, beep with ANY metal.

Think about it... coins are not magnetic. Yet a bulging pocketful of coins or keys will beep like crazy. It doesn't have to be magnetic.

Good thing, too, as there are non-magnetic stainless steels, titanium, aluminum, that make dandy firearms.

Bottom line is that MOST TSA agents don't know how the machines operate - they just know how to operate the machines. Every - and I stress EVERY time I go through TSA I see procedures being done wrong or just skipped. The system is by NO means perfect, but it is better than before IMHO.

The easiest way through is to take everything out of your pockets, off your feet and get it done. Try to reason with the TSA and you will loose. These people are much like the high school kid who always got his a$$ kicked and then became a cop - they will screw with you if you screw with them and they WILL win. Yes it sucks - blame it on the Muslims not the replacement players.

Baja.

Falconjet said:
Again: I must say that there are bad guys out there reading these threads. Sharing security protocols on here doesn't help anybody but them.

Please consider that before you share your stories of what was done to you at the security check points.

FJ

The Soviets had people working at Groom Lake. Al Q has people working in the TSA. Al Q has people working as rampers and agents. He!!, considering how the airlines are run, I'd say they have terrorists on the BOD at most airlines.

In fact, I'd be looking closely at the ALPA National Executive Board, too. :rolleyes: TC

Just like pilots!

Going2Baja said:
Bottom line is that MOST TSA agents don't know how the machines operate - they just know how to operate the machines.

That part hit a little close to home for me but I'll get over it.

But listen my friend, I appreciate your unique insight on this matter so I have a question.

I absolutely refuse to remove my shoes. I just won't do it. Call me stupid, idiotic and stubborn. That's fine.

But why, when I'm passing through the metal detector, they tell me, "Sir we're looking for more than just metal."

That's the part when I just ignore them.

And then they roll their eyes.

And then I have to go sit down and get my shoes swabbed for "explosive material" or something like that...

So my question is this: If I were to cooperate and behave like a pliant little boy and send my shoes through the x-ray machine like they want then how are they looking for the "more than just metal." Surely the x-ray machine doesn't test for explosive material.

It just seems like harrassment to me and makes me resent them even more.

Americans harrassing Americans makes me crazy.

Mar as I stsated earlier it's like that kid that was being beat up and now is a cop. They tell you to take off your shoes, you say no, you don't beep, and then you sit down anyway. The std x-ray machines don't detect explosives but they can see through the shoes. So if your shoes did have explosives (kinda like that moron kid that tried to set his shoes on foire) they would see the different color in the X-ray.

There are new walk through detectors that give a puff of air and then sense for residue...I think some airports have them on line. There are also other walk through detectors than can see through your clothes. This machine is getting big heat from lobbiests (sp?) The machine can see hooter size as well as your johnson. High tech stuff here!

Again - the quickest way to get through the checkpoint is to do what they say and keep on truckin'.

Good luck...Baja.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back