Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do you have anything in your bag I need to know about?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kf4amu

Anyone ever gone through the TSA screening/xray machines and had the machine put an image of a weapon in their bag to "test" the screeners?

Ft Lauderdale March 16th, my friend (who ownes a few handguns and knives...ex army) and I were going through security. The screener stops the belt, backs it up and summons all the other guys. They crowd the monitor and point and discuss. We are wondering wtf is going on. We are almost late for our plane to Freeport.

Turns out the machine put a E-weapon in his bag, except they didnt realize it was fake until they went through the whole procedure when someone tries to smuggle a weapon through security. The accusatory questioning, bag searching, the second guessing wondering if somehow a weapon dropped into the bag in his closet without him noticing. No major deal to us 20 something year olds but I can imagine a 90 year old man or woman with heart trouble would have kicked it.

We were drunk so me and my other friends made fun of our other friend profusely, loudly advising him the TSA would find his furry handcuffs, anal lube, and leather stretch pants. And anal beads. Quite embarrassing for him but oh well.

The screener later told us it was some big curvy dagger that was obvious on the screen. Some test.

Focus: Anybody have this happen to them? Share your experience.

Last edited:
My dad put his coat through security one time. In the chest pocket were his cell phone (a brick-like Nokia) and his keys. Supposedly, the way they settled next to each other looked a LOT like a small automatic (.380 caliber or similar), and it roused the TSA guys enough where they called the cops and questioned him. Of course, if there's a "weapon" in the scanner, they're not allowed to take it out of the scanner (a security measure to prevent the owner from accessing the suspect item), so he couldn't "prove" that he was unarmed until the cops were called.

He still made his flight, so no harm done.

Again: I must say that there are bad guys out there reading these threads. Sharing security protocols on here doesn't help anybody but them.

Please consider that before you share your stories of what was done to you at the security check points.

FJ

If you really wanted to test the security, take a part time job as an assembler at a suitcase factory.

Then make a bunch of tin foil silhouettes of Uzis and glue them into the inside wall of the luggage before the interiors are put in.

That would be knee slapper.

Disclaimer: If you are really dumb enough to try this, don't forget to write us from Federal Prison and let us know if that urban folklore about cell mates is true.

Let me understand the folly

So, if I understand correctly, the machine will produce an electronic image of a weapon at random to see if the operator is awake or not?

That's interesting. And really inconvenient. But since when is all of this nonsense supposed to be convenient.

My only similiar experience was when I was travelling to an interview with one of those leather attache' cases containing nothing more than paper copies of resume's, work history, log book, etc....

It got sent through the x-ray mahcine and the guy wanted to look inside for the metal.

I told him, There's no metal inside the case, just papers.

"Sorry sir, but we're gonna have to run it through one more time."

Me: "Go ahead, knock yourself out."

Long story short, they ran it through a total of three times. On the last run, when they finally flipped it over they discovered the metal they were looking for: the brass buckle on the OUTSIDE of the case.

Falconjet said:
Again: I must say that there are bad guys out there reading these threads. Sharing security protocols on here doesn't help anybody but them.

Please consider that before you share your stories of what was done to you at the security check points.

FJ
If your security system depends only on hoping the bad guy doesn't find out how it works, then you're in big trouble. A truly safe security system should not be able to be cracked even when the bad guy knows exactly how it works.

Mar said
"Sorry sir, but we're gonna have to run it through one more time."

Me: "Go ahead, knock yourself out."

Long story short, they ran it through a total of three times. On the last run, when they finally flipped it over they discovered the metal they were looking for: the brass buckle on the OUTSIDE of the case.

All I have to say is...ROFLMAO!!!

I don't know how many times I've used that phrase, "Go ahead, knock yourself out." Never got a laugh.

Once argued with a TSA guy with a chip on his shoulder about a brass belt buckle. Never beeps. Never. Never. Never.

He says, "Take it off."

I say, "I doesn't beep."

He says, "Take it off."

I say, "It's brass...it won't beep. Never has. Never will."

He says, "It'll beep on my machine now take it off."

I say (the smart arse kicking in), "I'll bet you five bucks it doesn't beep".

He gives me the "I'm about to call security" look so I whip it off, put it through the scanner. The scanner lady looks at him as if to say, "Dork" and as I walk through I mumble, "It won't beep."

He, not happy that he can't pull me over and body cavity search me, wands me anyways. I hold back a comment about the metal plate being in his head and not mine.

Somedays I wonder about our Federal Gov't...

Eric

Lostdog65 said:
Mar said

All I have to say is...ROFLMAO!!!

I don't know how many times I've used that phrase, "Go ahead, knock yourself out." Never got a laugh.

Once argued with a TSA guy with a chip on his shoulder about a brass belt buckle. Never beeps. Never. Never. Never.

He says, "Take it off."

I say, "I doesn't beep."

He says, "Take it off."

I say, "It's brass...it won't beep. Never has. Never will."

He says, "It'll beep on my machine now take it off."

I say (the smart arse kicking in), "I'll bet you five bucks it doesn't beep".

He gives me the "I'm about to call security" look so I whip it off, put it through the scanner. The scanner lady looks at him as if to say, "Dork" and as I walk through I mumble, "It won't beep."

He, not happy that he can't pull me over and body cavity search me, wands me anyways. I hold back a comment about the metal plate being in his head and not mine.

Somedays I wonder about our Federal Gov't...

Eric
And i'll bet for that 11 bucks an hour or so that he earns, his security training was top notch!!

The fake image is called a TIP - threat image projection. Depending on how the TSA boss man of the airport wants to keep track of his screeners the TIPS can be set one in 75 bags or so or much less frequent. It keeps the screeners on their toes (barely.)

Baja.

BTW - forgot to mention there is also a button the machine that says TIP. If the screener correctly identifies the TIP it goes away. If the image is still there then it is a real weapon. So the stories of them calling police over for a fake image isn't true.

Gryphon - they deserve $11/hr. Actually I think it's close to $30k/yr to start. All they need is a HS diploma.

And "no" I didn't work for them - I trained the initial screeners at many of the airports. What a goat rope that was....

Last edited:
Interesting info about the TIP Baja.

I recently got a 1" X 5" metal plate in my left arm which doesnt set off xray machines. Which is roughly the same size as a hefty knife...

Wierd.

Latest resources

Back