• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do you enjoy instructing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What about the guys that want to be a career instructor? You guys should should just PFT and leave that profession the hell alone.

You pukes that instruct and use it as merely a obstacle, will do it for nothing, crap on the rest of the guys that work hard to try make a living as an instructor.

Because of this, we now have the worst civil air training ever - in US history.

Congrads!

95% if not 99% of people who become flight instructors are doing it to move on to fly something else.

I was making 16.50 as a flight instructor. Thats not really any way to make a living. Especially when that is the max i ever would have made as instructor at my old flight school i worked at.

Slam dunk

Thats too bad you cant earn a living flight instructing. really. Its a cool job and should be rewarded with a career if one seeks.

Market flooded with guys that dont really dont want to teach is good.... how?

PFT and leave the real teaching to the real teachers.

I really enjoyed flight instructing. What I enjoyed even more was being a 141 check instructor at a university. I still got to teach a little bit (we had CFI and Multi students), but I got to help out a lot more students than I did as a regular fligt instructor. Granted, I wouldn't take a student from zero time to a checkride, but I could pass on hints, advice, etc. that I had learned over the years that their 400 hour instructor hadn't learned yet.

Flight instructing was the worst and best job I ever had. A sense of autonomy, free to design my lessons in the way that would best help my students, and that really rewarding feeling of when you solo a student or they start to "get it" or... you get the idea. The worst from a standpoint of pay, hours put in to hours paid, flight school politics, students who drive you nuts by never studying, etc.

- when I say PFT, everything is PFT if your a civilian, in one way or another. If you a civi, you pay your own way. You pay.

The only thing thats not PFT is a military contract. Then again, ask your taxpayers and they will say we all PFTS. Somebody has to pay for all this fun we are having. Somebody has to pay. You pay.

so whos paying? the instructors that are trying to make a living doing something they believe is a worthy cause.

I quess its not conceivable that some guys want to instruct the fine nuances of flying a 150. Therefore, we are replaceable be someone who will do the 'same' job for bundles less.

You wonder why we have airspace problems.

I enjoy it, but I will be glad to move on to other experiences as well. With that said, I do plan on keeping all of my CFI privileges current so that I can keep teaching. It can be a very rewarding profession.

No, I will not go out and PFT! Just because I do not wish to instruct for the rest of my life does not make me any less professional or skilled then you. I hold myself and my students to very high training standards. It has been my experience that instructors that are not interested in taking the occupation seriously have a very hard time keeping students. On many occasions, I have had students come to me who were not happy with the quality of instruction they were receiving. If your having a hard time retaining students, stop blaming everyone else and look at your own skills and attitude. Your either a good instructor and take it seriously or your not, aspirations of eventually flying equipment other than single engine pistons has nothing to do with it and there's nothing wrong with that.

Get over yourself.

Last edited:
When has paying your dues included flat lining a whole profession such as flight instruction. Admit it, no one wants to teach. They did the job because it might lead them to "other experiences." You got into this to fly light airplanes didnt ya?

BS

But since your paying your dues, its all justified, even the class F students you are producing.

Congrads.

With an attitude like that, I really don't understand how you can lecture anyone about this topic.

There are plenty of people doing very well instructing for a living. Ask Rich Stowell, Jedi Nein, and many others. The difference between you and them is that they conduct themselves in a very proffessional manner. Maybe if you were not such an a$$ someone would pay you a decent amount.

Maybe if you could make a decent living as an instructor, people wouldn't be in such a hurry to move on

Latest resources

Back