Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CL60

"DO NOT FORGET"

I sat in a movie theater watching "Schindler's List," asked myself, "Why didn't the Jews fight back?"

Now I know why.

I sat in a movie theater, watching "Pearl Harbor" and asked myself, "Why weren't we prepared?"

Now I know why.

Civilized people cannot fathom, much less predict, the actions of evil people.

On September 11, dozens of capable airplane passengers allowed themselves to be overpowered by a handful of poorly armed terrorists because they did not comprehend the depth of hatred that motivated their captors.

On September 11, thousands of innocent people were murdered because too many Americans naively reject the reality that some nations are dedicated to the dominance of others. Many political pundits, pacifists and media personnel want us to forget the carnage. They say we must focus on the bravery of the rescuers and ignore the cowardice of the killers. They implore us to understand the motivation of the perpetrators. Major television stations have announced they will assist the healing process by not replaying devastating footage of the planes crashing into the Twin Towers.

I will not be manipulated.

I will not pretend to understand.

I will not forget.

I will not forget the liberal media who abused freedom of the press to kick our country when it was vulnerable and hurting.

I will not forget that CBS anchor Dan Rather preceded President Bush's address to the nation with the snide remark, "No matter how you feel about him, he is still our president."

I will not forget that ABC TV anchor Peter Jennings questioned President Bush's motives for not returning immediately to Washington, DC and commented, "We're all pretty skeptical and cynical about Washington."

And I will not forget that ABC's Mark Halperin warned if reporters weren't informed of every little detail of this war, they aren't "likely -- nor should they be expected -- to show deference."

I will not isolate myself from my fellow Americans by pretending an attack on the USS Cole in Yemen was not an attack on the United States of America.

I will not forget the Clinton administration equipped Islamic terrorists and their supporters with the world's most sophisticated telecommunications equipment and encryption technology, thereby compromising America's ability to trace terrorist radio, cell phone, land lines, faxes and modem communications.

I will not be appeased with pointless, quick retaliatory strikes like those perfected by the previous administration.

I will not be comforted by "feel-good, do nothing" regulations like the silly "Have your bags been under your control?" question at the airport.

I will not be influenced by so called,"antiwar demonstrators" who exploit the right of _expression to chant anti-American obscenities.

I will not forget the moral victory handed the North Vietnamese by American war protesters who reviled and spat upon the returning Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors and Marines.

I will not be softened by the wishful thinking of pacifists who chose reassurance over reality.

I will embrace the wise words of Prime Minister Tony Blair who told Labor Party conference, "They have no moral inhibition on the slaughter of the innocent. If they could have murdered not 7,000 but 70,000, does anyone doubt they would have done so and rejoiced in it?

There is no compromise possible with such people, no meeting of minds, no point of understanding with such terror. Just a choice: defeat it or be defeated by it. And defeat it we must!"

I will force myself to:

-hear the weeping
-feel the helplessness
-imagine the terror
-sense the panic
-smell the burning flesh
- experience the loss
- remember the hatred.

I sat in a movie theater, watching "Private Ryan" and asked myself, "Where did they find the courage?"

Now I know.

We have no choice. Living without liberty is not living.

-- Ed Evans, MGySgt., USMC (Ret.)
Not as lean, Not as mean, But still a Marine.

Keep this going until every living American has read it and memorized it so we don't make the same mistake again.

Great post...

I sat through "Schindler's List" asking "is this movie EVER going to end?"

I sat through "Pearl Harbor" asking "why didn't they tell me this was a chick flick BEFORE I wasted $14?"

Boy was I mad too! I was expecting a blow-em-up where eagles dare the black sheep squadrum airplane movie. But instead I got a bunch of crap about love and feelings. Ughhhh

CL60; this needs to be read, not just by Americans, but by all those who believe in freedom and liberty (nice to see the quote from Tony!).

This is outstanding work.

Brit by birth and now American by heart.

CL60 said:
I will not forget the Clinton administration equipped Islamic terrorists and their supporters with the world's most sophisticated telecommunications equipment and encryption technology, thereby compromising America's ability to trace terrorist radio, cell phone, land lines, faxes and modem communications.
I'm not going to sit here and try to tell anyone that Bill C. was the greatest president of all time...but let's all remember that long before he "equipped" Islamic terrorists, the Iranians had F-14 Tomcats and the Iraqis had Hawk missiles. We were sending Stinger SAM's to Afghanistan, too. Do we all want to pretend they didn't end up in the Taliban's hands?

We've been making deals with the Devil for a long time...we just didn't always know it was him.

How to respond to September 11th...pacifists like Howard Zinn would have us strive for peace at all costs. Veterans like Gunny Evans would have us turn everything from Amman to Kuwait City into one big smoking hole. The answer probably lies somewhere in between.

How we should respond to the attack is a question nobody can really answer.

The only thing that is certain is that we must not let it happen again.

We've been making deals with the Devil for a long time...we just didn't always know it was him.

Oh, we knew. We just thought that our aims were more important, and worth the cost. It's no different, today. It won't change tomorrow.

Re: Re: "do Not Forget" By A Us Marine

Typhoon1244 said:
I'm not going to sit here and try to tell anyone that Bill C. was the greatest president of all time...but let's all remember that long before he "equipped" Islamic terrorists, the Iranians had F-14 Tomcats and the Iraqis had Hawk missiles. We were sending Stinger SAM's to Afghanistan, too. Do we all want to pretend they didn't end up in the Taliban's hands?
[/I]

The F-14's went to Iran when the Shah was in power...in fact, a few were being prepared to be exported when the revolution took place, the aircraft ended up in the US inventory. Not sure how we were supposed to know a revolution was on the way.

The stingers were sent long before there was such a thing as the Taliban. Again, I don't think we own a crystal ball.

However, here is an indesputable fact: the NSA was tracking UBL's location via his satphone until a Clinton staffer leaked it to the press and he stopped using it. We haven't been able to track him ever since...hence Clinton bombing an aspirin factory. Way to go!

Chunk

All true...but not exactly my point. The Middle East is not one of the most stable political regions on the planet. Why would anyone in the U.S. even consider sending such advanced systems to a Middle Eastern country? The '14 had--at the time--the most advanced aircraft radar we'd developed...and we shipped them to a region where who-knows-who would have them a decade later?

We can't seem to get involved with the Middle East without getting burned.

Now, I'm intrigued that this thread is turning inot a political discussion...exactly what the good Gunny warned us about. I want to vomit when I see our "leaders" turning 9/11 into a political chess piece. (Yes, even George II is getting into the act; the invasion of Iraq should be called "Operation Second-Term.")

I sense that most Americans, when they replay in their minds the images of airliners slashing into buildings, just want revenge. Period. And you can't seek revenge from an attacker who willfuly destroys himself during the attack.

So who do we direct our anger at? Osama Bin Laden? The Muslim faith? All Middle Easterners? Israel?

Whether any of us like it or not, 9/11 was ultimately caused by Muslim fanaticism and U.S. involvement in the M/E. Take either one of those away, and it wouldn't have happened. How many times does our country have to stick its finger in a light socket before we wise up?

Typhoon1244

I have read numerous post from you trying to defend your liberal point of view so now I will put in my .o2. In the end it is liberals like you that will so vehemently oppose action against Hussein and others like him but in turn you and liberals like yourself will be the first ones to question our leadership when Hussein or someone like him detonates a nuclear device or unleashes a biological attack against Americans. And as for your statemen suggesting the U.S. should not intervene in Middle Eastern affairs I believe some people had the same notion about the Germans and the Japanese Dec. 6 1941 but history shows us we were not then and are no longer protected by the vast oceans that served as our protection us for hundreds of years.

Also, something most of you liberals will never understand is foreign policy to say the least is very fluid, the country that is your ally today you may very well be in a conflict with tomorrow

Latest resources

Back