Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do (can) any of use the old E6B wizwheel?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So what is the difference between E6B and CR?

OK I still use my E6B, mostly because I get bored on long legs. What are the differences between the E6B and the CR flight computers? I always thought they had the same functionality except one was round.

Knowing the E6-B or the CR series may be impressive but it will die, as did celestial navigation. It's sad, I would like to have seen the celestial navaigation era but I missed that boat. There is going to be and already is a batch of pilots who can't fly steam guages, has no idea what an NDB approach is and could care less, and can download ARINC data to his cell phone faster than you can say E6-what?

Can you say sliderule?

One more vote for the CR-? computeres. I still keep the smallest, the CR-5, in my flight bag. Don't use it very often but I occasionally pull it out to figure something out. Often TAS or ram rise. No FMS in these old DC9s...

When I was teaching in the late 1980s I used the CR with my primary students. Most went for the largest model, CR-2? I liked the way it could be used easier with one hand than the E6B since there were no autopilots in the trainers. Now I like the smaller size of the CR-5 so that it takes up less room in the flight bag.

I've never used an electronic flight computer. I keep a $5 calculator in the flight bag but that's it. You certainly don't need 8 decimal point percision when figuring out your time to the next fix...

cezzna said:
There is going to be and already is a batch of pilots who can't fly steam guages, has no idea what an NDB approach is and could care less

True, but they'll probably won't be flying into rising terrain, like so many pilots of the past have done! Todays electronic gagets have big advantages in situational awareness!

mtrv said:
True, but they'll probably won't be flying into rising terrain, like so many pilots of the past have done! Todays electronic gagets have big advantages in situational awareness!

Yeah whatever... you just keep on thinking that as long as it helps you sleep well at night. I'm counting as we speak how many bizjets I can remember in recent history that have busted their @$$es on an approach, even WITH all the "high-zoot boogie" technology up front. Face it... glass cockpits and computers are cool, but they ARE NOT FOOL PROOF!! At least not yet, anyway.

As far as the whiz wheel goes, I've known how to use one since 7th grade. I dated a girl who's dad was a pilot, and he gave me his Sanderson SC-3B when he lost his medical and couldnt fly anymore. Geez that was over 30 years ago, so no telling how old this thing is, but I've used it ever since I started flying in 89'. He taught me the basics on it way back when, and I taught myself a bunch of functions on it using the manual, so I already had a pretty good working knowledge of the thing by the time I got out of high school and into flight school. I still use it from time to time. Incidentally, I've got a brand new CX-2 pathfinder electronic that my wife bought me last year. It's pretty cool, but when it comes to using one in the air, I grab the wheel EVERY time.

agpilot34 said:
I'm counting as we speak how many bizjets I can remember in recent history that have busted their @$$es on an approach, even WITH all the "high-zoot boogie" technology up front. Face it... glass cockpits and computers are cool, but they ARE NOT FOOL PROOF!! At least not yet, anyway.

Okay, begin going through every bizjet approach accident you can think of, and find out exactly what electronic navigation equipment was on board. Then compare these to something such as an Avidyne, Garmin 1000, or Chelton systems, where the moving map GPS provides a much larger scope of the whole picture.

I've read the why's and wherefor's of every major aircraft accident in the NTSB data-bases for years. Give me real statistics regarding flight into terrain & loss of situational awarness. You can include military & commercial accidents too.

For starters, we'll use the AA757 in South America, the C-130 at Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and the Ron Brown 737. In all cases, the pilots did not have the complete picture that's even available on today's hand-held GPS's. They became disorented, and not sure of the exact location, which could have easily been overcome with todays technology. And while you're at it, throw in a few bizjet approach's to some well known ski resorts in Colorado. Same thing!

EGPWS and moving map displays are wonderful tools, but if you are relying on them for situational awareness, you are in the wrong profession.

Latest resources

Back