Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do (can) any of use the old E6B wizwheel?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I found my old wizwheel and it all came back to me. I was just
kinda curious if anyone still uses it.

Do they still teach the new guys?

CE

I use it when I fly a plane with no dme/gs...still carry it in the bag.

They were pretty fond of it 4 or 5 years ago when I was training.

Yeah when i did my training the instructor I had hated the electronic ones and forced me to use the whiz wheel. It's kinda stuck and i've just always used it since. Mainly because i'm a cheap bastard and wouldnt shell out for a new one :) lol but seriously it does the job.

falcon20driver said:
Never used an e6b, military pilots use the Jeppeson CR computers, is the e6b something sportys sells?

Yeah, but the CR is the only way to go. I'm going to paint a HUGE target on my back right here but...I was on the ERAU-Prescott flight team for four years and one of the NIFA events is computer accuracy where tests are taken with only a manual flight computer allowed. The CR-3 has a number of features above the E6B (finding crosswind component in knots on the back of the CR, mainly, there are bunches on the front side too). Sounds nerdy, I know, but for those that compete in the event they take it awfully seriously.

Everybody starting flight training these days still have to learn the manual flight computer operations, because to my knowledge, electronic flight computers aren't allowed in the private written exam.

stearnst said:
Everybody starting flight training these days still have to learn the manual flight computer operations, because to my knowledge, electronic flight computers aren't allowed in the private written exam.

Uhh... electronic flight computers have been allowed on the private written exam for at least the past decade.

CA1900 said:
Uhh... electronic flight computers have been allowed on the private written exam for at least the past decade.

Considering the fact that you've been at Commutair for at least the past decade, how would you know? :p

Used to use it all the time. I could do everything with it except the radius of action stuff. Anyone ever figure that out? More importantly, anyone ever use that haha?

I whip out my CR-2 for entertainment's sake once in a while, compute true air speed and ram rise and what not. No air data computer in our birds.

But what is truly priceless is the look on your FO's face...:eek:

shamrock said:
Considering the fact that you've been at Commutair for at least the past decade, how would you know? :p

:pimp: SMACK!

What can I say, I'm comfortable job-hunting from my own little corner of suck. :laugh:

Latest resources

Back