Do ATC Controllers Have Alcohol Regs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dumbluck said:
user997, is there a story behind this question or are you looking for new career?
Nah... as long as they'll keep paying for me to sit up front I'm not going anywhere!

What got me thinking about was Lrjtcaptain's "Drunk ATCer..." post from last night. :beer:

Yup, we have the same alcohol rules and get to "randomly" blow in a tube from time to time.

Fury, don't forget to check the UT schedule. Fri/Sat before a home game, we're often doing 100-130 ops/hr. Not much room for a 300 kt downwind. MAF and ELP need the traffic...

:D

Vector4fun said:
Yup, we have the same alcohol rules and get to "randomly" blow in a tube from time to time.

Fury, don't forget to check the UT schedule. Fri/Sat before a home game, we're often doing 100-130 ops/hr. Not much room for a 300 kt downwind. MAF and ELP need the traffic...

:D

Yeah, man -- I hear ya. We don't usually fly on Saturdays, and, if we're there on a Friday night, AUS is probably our final destination. KELP? Oh HELL NO do I want to have the jet break and get stuck there. I only go to such places when I absolutely have to, as in, when heading west on my way to Vegas/Phoenix/San Diego. :) Otherwise, KAUS is just fine. If we get stuck out, that's just one more night on 6th Street.

We have our reasons for the 300KIAS downwind... :)

Fury220 said:
KELP? Oh HELL NO do I want to have the jet break and get stuck there.

Ahhh, you've never been to some of the finer establishments in Ciudad Juarez.

Errr, then again, perhaps you have....

;)

Ahh well, many of the ladies head to Acuna this time of year, deer season ya know......

Fury220 said:
KELP? Oh HELL NO do I want to have the jet break and get stuck there.

Juarez! Donkey Show! Do I have to think of everything around here??? :D

Fury220 said:
Hmm...Vector4Fun works down in the KAUS area?

Hey Vector...ever dealt with a FOXY65? That's usually me. :)

EDIT: Actually, that's usually my student in the rear cockpit under the hood, with me in the front 'pit clearing and wishing I were doing the flying.

Geez, and he admits it.

ATC: Foxy65 connack approach button 5.
unable to be heard on vhf...
FOXY65: (while cruising around at 300KIAS at 4000ft)***Garbled*** (you have to put your head in the bottom of a 5 gallon paint bucket to get the right sound effect)
FOXY65: (sound of crickets chirping)
Meanwhile, back in the real world, 15 airplanes have tried to check on and another 5 need 4000fpm descents to make their crossing restrictions...
FOXY65: (head in the bucket again) Uh, approach, Foxy65 would like vectors for the high TACAN 15, followed by a missed approach, three turns in the hold, a full procedure ILS, a no gyro approach with a simulated lost wingman followed by the overhead break.
ATC: Foxy65, fly heading 180 NOW and connack approach button 5 or 365.2.
FOXY65: Switching.

P.S. Stop whining about "not flying." Instructing is an awesome responsibility and remember, your students end up little clones of you so if you're a crappy pilot...

pilotmiketx said:
Geez, and he admits it.

unable to be heard on vhf...
FOXY65: (while cruising around at 300KIAS at 4000ft)***Garbled*** (you have to put your head in the bottom of a 5 gallon paint bucket to get the right sound effect)
FOXY65: (sound of crickets chirping)
Meanwhile, back in the real world, 15 airplanes have tried to check on and another 5 need 4000fpm descents to make their crossing restrictions...
FOXY65: (head in the bucket again) Uh, approach, Foxy65 would like vectors for the high TACAN 15, followed by a missed approach, three turns in the hold, a full procedure ILS, a no gyro approach with a simulated lost wingman followed by the overhead break.
ATC: Foxy65, fly heading 180 NOW and connack approach button 5 or 365.2.
FOXY65: Switching.

P.S. Stop whining about "not flying." Instructing is an awesome responsibility and remember, your students end up little clones of you so if you're a crappy pilot...

Now this is just semantics, but there is no "button 5" in the KAUS terminal area. Nor is there a TACAN or HI-TACAN. Come to mention it, I don't even think they have ASR capability. But whatever...

Pissed about us being at 300KIAS? Sorry, but 250KIAS can EASILY be below L/D max for a T-38. Do you really want us in the region of reverse command on radar downwind while trying to dodge VFR aircraft and birds? The T-38 is a nimble little thing at 300+, but it's a fookin' dead fish at 250 and below. I always, always, always slow to maintain a speed when requested by a controller (if I can make it happen), but otherwise, I'm going to stay safe and maneuverable. It's not just to be cool or special. :) If I had it my way, I'd cruise at 350KIAS all the time. I see 300KIAS as a compromise.

And any IP that lets the comm get that bad has his cranium up his anus. Try dealing with controllers who say "oops...I forgot to turn up my UHF" and never try to apologize for calling you on GUARD a couple times as a result of not hearing you and thinking you're fooking up. And while it's easy to poke at my students, remember they typically have less than 200 hours TOTAL TIME as they're trying to learn complex IFR. I wonder how good your comm was at 200 hours... :)

And the radio sounds like it's coming from the bottom of a five gallon bucket? Sorry, folks, that's what we get when we don't have the budget for anything other than rebuilt radios from 1970. By the way, we have ONE radio, and it's the archaic "dial each number separately" type. No pushbutton, standby freq with the fancy "switch between" button, and no auto squelch. The T-38C adds a victor radio, so I can't wait to see that change come to Sheppard.

And "whine" about my job? Never. I get to do things you haven't even THOUGHT about in airplanes. HOWEVER, compared to what's considered "ops normal" among MY contemporaries, teaching a student how to fly an ILS is pretty damn low on the totem pole of coolness, as well as my lifelong list of "aviation things to do." Not to mention that I'm a full-up Type-A personality and just can't stand when things aren't going my way, which I'm certain you understand completely. :)

I always appreciate it when controllers are understanding of these limitations and factors. Vector4Fun sounds like that kind of guy, so kudos. Let's get back to talking about drinking in El Paso. I could learn a thing or two about it, it seems. :)

why get all harsh on a joke thread, buzzkill

Latest resources

Back