Do ATC Controllers Have Alcohol Regs?

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
Joined
Jan 24, 2004
Posts
1,959
Total Time
+1500
I was just wondering, pilots have the standard 8 hours/.04 regulation, what if any regulations do the Air Traffic Controllers have to adhere to as it pertains to performing their duties?
 

gkrangers

college = debt
Joined
May 21, 2004
Posts
1,405
Total Time
some
User997 said:
I was just wondering, pilots have the standard 8 hours/.04 regulation, what if any regulations do the Air Traffic Controllers have to adhere to as it pertains to performing their duties?
You think they do what they do sober ?

Geez...were you way off! :p

I'm sure its as strict, if not moreso.
 

bigD

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 29, 2002
Posts
2,020
Total Time
4.9e17
gkrangers said:
You think they do what they do sober ?
I think there's a Mary Jane requirement in there as well. You should have seen the vectors AUS was giving me last week.

Juuuuuuust kidding, Vector4Fun! :D :D
 

Dumbluck

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 16, 2005
Posts
240
Total Time
7000+
user997, is there a story behind this question or are you looking for new career?
 

Lrjtcaptain

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 28, 2002
Posts
927
Total Time
2000+
yup.....8 hours .04, don't think im gonna be legal tommorrow :) MY LIFE SUCKS, not looking for sympathy! But im drunk as crap again, 4th night in row, no biggie, not talking to airplanes until 11am local!
 

Dumbluck

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 16, 2005
Posts
240
Total Time
7000+
I knew it, when ATC says "Say again, I was on a landline" they are really doing shots
 

Dumbluck

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 16, 2005
Posts
240
Total Time
7000+
I knew it, when ATC says "Say again, I was on a landline" they are really doing shots of Jose'
 

Lrjtcaptain

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 28, 2002
Posts
927
Total Time
2000+
no no no, when we say "say again, I was on the landline, i was asking the ground controller, what 4 across was :)
 

minitour

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 17, 2004
Posts
3,249
Lrjtcaptain said:
no no no, when we say "say again, I was on the landline, i was asking the ground controller, what 4 across was :)
bwahaha :laugh:

Awesome

-mini
 

Fury220

Resident T-38A/C FAIP
Joined
Dec 20, 2002
Posts
435
Total Time
!= 0
Hmm...Vector4Fun works down in the KAUS area?


Hey Vector...ever dealt with a FOXY65? That's usually me. :)


EDIT: Actually, that's usually my student in the rear cockpit under the hood, with me in the front 'pit clearing and wishing I were doing the flying.
 
Last edited:

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
Joined
Jan 24, 2004
Posts
1,959
Total Time
+1500
Dumbluck said:
user997, is there a story behind this question or are you looking for new career?
Nah... as long as they'll keep paying for me to sit up front I'm not going anywhere!

What got me thinking about was Lrjtcaptain's "Drunk ATCer..." post from last night. :beer:
 

Vector4fun

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 25, 2003
Posts
796
Total Time
1700
Yup, we have the same alcohol rules and get to "randomly" blow in a tube from time to time.

Fury, don't forget to check the UT schedule. Fri/Sat before a home game, we're often doing 100-130 ops/hr. Not much room for a 300 kt downwind. MAF and ELP need the traffic...

:D
 

JediNein

No One Special at all
Joined
Apr 28, 2002
Posts
1,256
Total Time
53 wks
Isn't it eight feet from dope to scope, six if you're sharing with the sup?
 

Fury220

Resident T-38A/C FAIP
Joined
Dec 20, 2002
Posts
435
Total Time
!= 0
Vector4fun said:
Yup, we have the same alcohol rules and get to "randomly" blow in a tube from time to time.

Fury, don't forget to check the UT schedule. Fri/Sat before a home game, we're often doing 100-130 ops/hr. Not much room for a 300 kt downwind. MAF and ELP need the traffic...

:D
Yeah, man -- I hear ya. We don't usually fly on Saturdays, and, if we're there on a Friday night, AUS is probably our final destination. KELP? Oh HELL NO do I want to have the jet break and get stuck there. I only go to such places when I absolutely have to, as in, when heading west on my way to Vegas/Phoenix/San Diego. :) Otherwise, KAUS is just fine. If we get stuck out, that's just one more night on 6th Street.

We have our reasons for the 300KIAS downwind... :)
 

Vector4fun

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 25, 2003
Posts
796
Total Time
1700
Fury220 said:
KELP? Oh HELL NO do I want to have the jet break and get stuck there.
Ahhh, you've never been to some of the finer establishments in Ciudad Juarez.

Errr, then again, perhaps you have....

;)


Ahh well, many of the ladies head to Acuna this time of year, deer season ya know......
 

CA1900

Big Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2002
Posts
5,436
Total Time
11000+
Vector4fun said:
Yup, we have the same alcohol rules and get to "randomly" blow in a tube from time to time.
:erm: Uhhhhhhhh........
 

bigD

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 29, 2002
Posts
2,020
Total Time
4.9e17
Fury220 said:
KELP? Oh HELL NO do I want to have the jet break and get stuck there.
Juarez! Donkey Show! Do I have to think of everything around here??? :D
 

pilotmiketx

Registerd User
Joined
Jul 13, 2003
Posts
345
Total Time
oodles
Fury220 said:
Hmm...Vector4Fun works down in the KAUS area?


Hey Vector...ever dealt with a FOXY65? That's usually me. :)


EDIT: Actually, that's usually my student in the rear cockpit under the hood, with me in the front 'pit clearing and wishing I were doing the flying.
Geez, and he admits it.

ATC: Foxy65 connack approach button 5.
unable to be heard on vhf...
FOXY65: (while cruising around at 300KIAS at 4000ft)***Garbled*** (you have to put your head in the bottom of a 5 gallon paint bucket to get the right sound effect)
ATC: Foxy65 connack approach button 5.
FOXY65: (sound of crickets chirping)
Meanwhile, back in the real world, 15 airplanes have tried to check on and another 5 need 4000fpm descents to make their crossing restrictions...
FOXY65: (head in the bucket again) Uh, approach, Foxy65 would like vectors for the high TACAN 15, followed by a missed approach, three turns in the hold, a full procedure ILS, a no gyro approach with a simulated lost wingman followed by the overhead break.
ATC: Foxy65, fly heading 180 NOW and connack approach button 5 or 365.2.
FOXY65: Switching.


P.S. Stop whining about "not flying." Instructing is an awesome responsibility and remember, your students end up little clones of you so if you're a crappy pilot...
 

Fury220

Resident T-38A/C FAIP
Joined
Dec 20, 2002
Posts
435
Total Time
!= 0
pilotmiketx said:
Geez, and he admits it.

ATC: Foxy65 connack approach button 5.
unable to be heard on vhf...
FOXY65: (while cruising around at 300KIAS at 4000ft)***Garbled*** (you have to put your head in the bottom of a 5 gallon paint bucket to get the right sound effect)
ATC: Foxy65 connack approach button 5.
FOXY65: (sound of crickets chirping)
Meanwhile, back in the real world, 15 airplanes have tried to check on and another 5 need 4000fpm descents to make their crossing restrictions...
FOXY65: (head in the bucket again) Uh, approach, Foxy65 would like vectors for the high TACAN 15, followed by a missed approach, three turns in the hold, a full procedure ILS, a no gyro approach with a simulated lost wingman followed by the overhead break.
ATC: Foxy65, fly heading 180 NOW and connack approach button 5 or 365.2.
FOXY65: Switching.


P.S. Stop whining about "not flying." Instructing is an awesome responsibility and remember, your students end up little clones of you so if you're a crappy pilot...
Now this is just semantics, but there is no "button 5" in the KAUS terminal area. Nor is there a TACAN or HI-TACAN. Come to mention it, I don't even think they have ASR capability. But whatever...

Pissed about us being at 300KIAS? Sorry, but 250KIAS can EASILY be below L/D max for a T-38. Do you really want us in the region of reverse command on radar downwind while trying to dodge VFR aircraft and birds? The T-38 is a nimble little thing at 300+, but it's a fookin' dead fish at 250 and below. I always, always, always slow to maintain a speed when requested by a controller (if I can make it happen), but otherwise, I'm going to stay safe and maneuverable. It's not just to be cool or special. :) If I had it my way, I'd cruise at 350KIAS all the time. I see 300KIAS as a compromise.

And any IP that lets the comm get that bad has his cranium up his anus. Try dealing with controllers who say "oops...I forgot to turn up my UHF" and never try to apologize for calling you on GUARD a couple times as a result of not hearing you and thinking you're fooking up. And while it's easy to poke at my students, remember they typically have less than 200 hours TOTAL TIME as they're trying to learn complex IFR. I wonder how good your comm was at 200 hours... :)

And the radio sounds like it's coming from the bottom of a five gallon bucket? Sorry, folks, that's what we get when we don't have the budget for anything other than rebuilt radios from 1970. By the way, we have ONE radio, and it's the archaic "dial each number separately" type. No pushbutton, standby freq with the fancy "switch between" button, and no auto squelch. The T-38C adds a victor radio, so I can't wait to see that change come to Sheppard.

And "whine" about my job? Never. I get to do things you haven't even THOUGHT about in airplanes. HOWEVER, compared to what's considered "ops normal" among MY contemporaries, teaching a student how to fly an ILS is pretty damn low on the totem pole of coolness, as well as my lifelong list of "aviation things to do." Not to mention that I'm a full-up Type-A personality and just can't stand when things aren't going my way, which I'm certain you understand completely. :)


I always appreciate it when controllers are understanding of these limitations and factors. Vector4Fun sounds like that kind of guy, so kudos. Let's get back to talking about drinking in El Paso. I could learn a thing or two about it, it seems. :)
 

Dumbluck

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 16, 2005
Posts
240
Total Time
7000+
why get all harsh on a joke thread, buzzkill
 
Top