• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DL's regional partnerships show signs of stress

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This industry is unbelievable. I've never cried myself to sleep so much from worry. I saw a guy selling hot-dogs downtown. He looked happy. I wonder how much he makes.

There will probably be more flow throughs to assist with that, and the regionals will be the ones who can't keep enough experienced pilots. Regionals will then start to shrink, Bye Bye--General Lee
Flow-through is only a FLOW BACK...never more.

And simply a lack of crews has NEVER made airlines shrink...they just JR Man people and/or up the line value.

With crew rest rules and pilot experience requirements changing for 121 ops, you may just see that the costs of running a regional outfit are not much different than hiring a new pilot at mainline.

I'm pretty sure new FOs at DAL cost the company a LOT more than new FOs cost ASA or Skywest.

Nevermind the 10 year captain sitting next to him...

The crew experience requirements aren't going to drive up costs, it'll just be more experienced pilots coming to work for the low starting salaries to secure their seats (just like it used to be).

Trust me, I'm all for the demise of some lower tier regionals. (if there is a way to differentiate between them). My pt.121 career was severely sidetracked due to the timely whipsaws and subpar contracts that came about to the detriment of my carrier.

I hope that the majors can figure out a way to reverse the trend..(so I can fly home on mainline equipment instead of the window seat in an rj)..I just don't think guys like "the general" have a leg to stand on when it comes to sounding off about protecting scope.

Actions speak louder than words. When the actions represent what he is saying, then maybe I can believe his nonsense. Until then, his pilot group and many others are just the shortsighted group that gave away the house.

Trust me, I'm all for the demise of some lower tier regionals. (if there is a way to differentiate between them). My pt.121 career was severely sidetracked due to the timely whipsaws and subpar contracts that came about to the detriment of my carrier.
Enlighten me please. What's your story?

Hi!

Air India from SEA-MCO.

If that IS true, then it will be Air India planes flown by US pilots. India doesn't have enough pilots to even fly their own planes, and it will only get worse for them down the road.

cliff
LFW

Erlanger, I assume you worked for CMR.. I did too and most likely at the same time.. A few companies come to mind... remember CHQ negotiations a year or two after ours. I had a friend giving me a play by play during the roadshows. I know what was said by their MEC to get that contract passed. It had to do with SJS, upgrades and "don't worry about the FO payrate because you'll all be Captains within a year".

At the moment I would be a 9 yr. FO at $43 an hour. More than glad I left back in '06.

For mainline to get any scope protection to start going in their favor, regionals will have to shrink..Not saying this is going to happen, but for scope relaxation to do a 180, like "the general" envisions, some regionals may fall. IE Mesa. Not due to scope, but due to Delta shifting their plans.

Personally I don't think scope protection will ever be better than it currently is. I don't think mainline will get a/c back to 50 seats or reduce the # of 76 seaters..... Unfortunately this will be the status quo until the next economic downturn and more scope protection is given up by mainline pilots.

So for general lee to say how strong Delta will be at protecting scope I say..."Talk with your actions not with your words"..because past actions are only an indication of future performance. I hope General is proven right and mainline grows and more jobs are created. And I also hope a regional never sees a 100seat a/c on property.

Like I said, I've been out of the 121 world for nearly 5 years. Don't miss the whipsawing, low pay etc, just for a chance that I may get one of the 300 spots for 10,000 pilots every 4 years..

Just passing through...take care

Last edited:
In the next 5 to 10 years, or even 10 to 20 years, does anyone envision some regional airline(s) going out of business or one regional airline taking over more flying from another regional? Or, will the regional airlines flying now be around in the extended future?

In the next 5 to 10 years, or even 10 to 20 years, does anyone envision some regional airline(s) going out of business or one regional airline taking over more flying from another regional? Or, will the regional airlines flying now be around in the extended future?

For whatever you think his opinion is worth, Jerry Atkin of Skywest says he believes there will be 2 or 3 "super" regionals (his words) in the next 10 years.

Latest resources

Back