• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DL/NWA Seniority List Integration Arbitration starts TODAY...article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Turtle: I noticed you avoided answering my simple question. Oh well.

Here's another one: if the NW and DAL pilots accept the arbitration without going ballistic what does that say about the evil ALPA?

If NW DAL is satisfied with the new list (that will be part of the contract they have already accepted) then it means ALPA got lucky.

ALPA has nothing to do with SLI. Thats the whole point of giving it to an arbitrator. Its quite a scheme to get paid for an appearance of a union but not to have to do the work. Heck how can you fault them for taking what they can have given to them?

Questions

At this point, is there any chance of a negotiated SLI agreement? Was it ever politically possible?

Turtle: I noticed you avoided answering my simple question. Oh well.

Here's another one: if the NW and DAL pilots accept the arbitration without going ballistic what does that say about the evil ALPA?

It says that it was never about ALPA and only about the scumbag eastholes not manning up to their obligations!

Abe,

Give it a rest.

I know you DAL guys love to make fun of the DC9 and how we are slowly phasing them out. At some point the MD-88 will need to be phased out too.

Don't give me this crap about how you are entitled to seniority because our DC9s are starting to go away.

One thing I have not seen addressed on this board is the fact that the NWA leadership team has not been proactive in trying to replace our DC9s with anything. They have stated that the engine technology is just not there for the 100-125 seat range airplane. Besides if you were here you would recognize that this airline has been for sale for the past year. This is self-evident in the way they have been running the operation on a shoe string budget. It was just an excuse to keep building the Compass operation. Is that our fault? Is it DAL pilot's fault that you led the pack in giving up scope to your regional carriers?

Either way you cut it, don't try to leverage our DC9 pilots away because it is an old airplane we are drawing down. A lot of the pilots that fly these airplanes have more than 8 years of seniority. Keep that in mind.

DEAD ON! We have a winner!

Originally Posted by RedRum
Abe,

Give it a rest.

I know you DAL guys love to make fun of the DC9 and how we are slowly phasing them out. At some point the MD-88 will need to be phased out too.

Don't give me this crap about how you are entitled to seniority because our DC9s are starting to go away.

One thing I have not seen addressed on this board is the fact that the NWA leadership team has not been proactive in trying to replace our DC9s with anything. They have stated that the engine technology is just not there for the 100-125 seat range airplane. Besides if you were here you would recognize that this airline has been for sale for the past year. This is self-evident in the way they have been running the operation on a shoe string budget. It was just an excuse to keep building the Compass operation. Is that our fault? Is it DAL pilot's fault that you led the pack in giving up scope to your regional carriers?

Either way you cut it, don't try to leverage our DC9 pilots away because it is an old airplane we are drawing down. A lot of the pilots that fly these airplanes have more than 8 years of seniority. Keep that in mind.

We have a winner? Puulleeaasseee. Trying to convince anyone that the -9s are not going away is just ludicrous. They are, what's worse, there are now. So, yes, that matters with regard to the jobs that NWA pilots bring to the table. It is not YOUR seniority, it is OUR--collective--seniority, and it must be distributed fairly. Part of it will be that NWa pilots take a hit for the loss of these airframes.

As for the -80s going away "someday", so will the 777s as well as the 787s. Unfortunately, none of these dates are specific like they are with the -9s. You are grasping at straws like your buddy Occam.

As for replacement aircraft for them, and NWA not being proactive, indeed they have been proactive--replacing them with Rjs. Unfortunately for NWA pilots, that was the plan over there, and does not bode well for the jobs brought to the table. That is what counts, not whos fault it is or isn't. NWA pilots aren't to blame, yet they are indeed victims of the circumstance, which directly corresponds to jobs, which cuts into the seniority arbitration.

Trying to leverage your DC-9 pilots away due to the drawdown of the aircraft is EXACTLY what is relevant in this arbitration.

..and superpilot thinks we have a winner. Grow up little boys.

We have a winner? Puulleeaasseee. Trying to convince anyone that the -9s are not going away is just ludicrous. They are, what's worse, there are now. So, yes, that matters with regard to the jobs that NWA pilots bring to the table. It is not YOUR seniority, it is OUR--collective--seniority, and it must be distributed fairly. Part of it will be that NWa pilots take a hit for the loss of these airframes.

As for the -80s going away "someday", so will the 777s as well as the 787s. Unfortunately, none of these dates are specific like they are with the -9s. You are grasping at straws like your buddy Occam.

As for replacement aircraft for them, and NWA not being proactive, indeed they have been proactive--replacing them with Rjs. Unfortunately for NWA pilots, that was the plan over there, and does not bode well for the jobs brought to the table. That is what counts, not whos fault it is or isn't. NWA pilots aren't to blame, yet they are indeed victims of the circumstance, which directly corresponds to jobs, which cuts into the seniority arbitration.

Trying to leverage your DC-9 pilots away due to the drawdown of the aircraft is EXACTLY what is relevant in this arbitration.

..and superpilot thinks we have a winner. Grow up little boys.

Ran into a Continental pilot a few days back on the train at DIA, a senior ALPA guy. We got to talking about the SLI and he made a statement, maybe because he knew I was a Delta guy, but I thought it was interesting, if not necessarily true (I really don't know). He said "if it wasn't for this merger, NWA would have already furloughed and DL would be hiring." I'm wondering how many of you from both sides agree with this statement?

I agree 100% and it has been echoed by the Regional CP's as well as a lot farther up the food chain.
Fact it is what it is. There is no going back now.

We all need to work on our CRM

With the amount of animosity shown on this webboard, I can only imagine what would be like for the first DL FO to fly with a CA coming from the NWA side, and vice versa.

There seems to be a lot of mis-information, mistrust, among the pilot rank from what I observed, during several JS on my own company flights, and on NWA flights.

I think most of the pilot ranks do want to play nice, and they are just curious what the future brings for the whole 11k of us working in this volatile economy.

I do sincerely hope that once that SLI is negotiated/arbitrated, we can all join together in more "informal" settings to get to know each other, trying to find common background, make some new friends. I think that should be one of the priorities for our management team/DALPA after we merge, if they say how much they value our teamwork is true.

Ran into a Continental pilot a few days back on the train at DIA, a senior ALPA guy. We got to talking about the SLI and he made a statement, maybe because he knew I was a Delta guy, but I thought it was interesting, if not necessarily true (I really don't know). He said "if it wasn't for this merger, NWA would have already furloughed and DL would be hiring." I'm wondering how many of you from both sides agree with this statement?

I think Northwest's last new hire class was in April. Why did they even bother hiring to just furlough? You might be right. This industry sucks.

Latest resources

Back