• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dl Makes $137m

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not to be a pain, but are you saying that y'alls(ours soon to be) long call is not 12hrs from call to report. Our raps(required availability periods) are 15hrs long with 9hrs of not having to answer the phone. Our longcall is phone on 24hrs/day but a 12hrs from phone call to report. Works great for commuters. So, if I understand you dom. is required to be avail for a 12hr window with as little as a 2hr report and intl. has a 24hr window with the same 2hr report? Basically a reserve has to be in base the whole set of resv. days. Thanks again and sorry for being a little slow.

No. Everyone defaults to long call to begin with. So, once you are awarded your schedule all of your days start as long call days. You have 12 hours to report while on long call. If scheduling decided to put you onto short call, they can move you from long to short call with 10 hours notice. You have 2 additional hours to report on short call (actually no set time but 2 hours is a good guide). Summary: long call equals 12 or more hours reponse time.

this one-time charge was a non cash item. Delta wrote down the $1B as loss of goodwill. What they're saying is that looking forward, Delta's ability to earn money is hampered due to the high oil prices. Thus, Delta's value to shareholders has been reduced by 1 billion dollars this quarter. In exchange, Delta gets a sizable tax break.
SIU: Ok, admittedly it was 18 years ago when I wrote a 12 page single spaced back and front answer to the question "explain and discuss the differences between STAT and GAAP accounting standards," but if memory serves correctly a non-cash write down of good will is not a basis for a taxable loss.

When Delta and NWA came out of bankruptcy they had to establish a value. In effect they hit "CONTROL,ALT,DELETE" and to re-boot their companies.

The market value of the companies has varied wildly, by over a half a billion in the last two days. When Delta came out bankruptcy they thought they had a ~10Bn company, right now the market says 2.0Bn.

Prior to merger the numbers need to be in the ballpark of so that 1.25 shares of Delta equals a NWA stock. These should end up close to market value.

I liked your Mesa example. However, I detect no shenannigans with DAL valuations.

Delta stock is still a buy at $6.81. I wish that I had dropped $50K in at $4 a share. Wife just asked me why I passed on a $20,000 profit this week, wish I had a good answer. None the less, I'm very pleased oil is down and DAL is up, way up. Bastian might have to revise his non-cash goodwill up before the date of Corporate Closing :)

Last edited:
You guys ever notice that SWA doesn't have to take "one time good-will write offs" or whatever Enron accounting that Delta is doing to make themselves feel better? Let's face it, you Delta guys are pushing $8 Billion in losses so far this year. Not something I'd be proud of. Is it a sinking ship...only time will tell.

Yeah, I guess I have never been through a Bankruptcy??? (Didn't Delta go BK?) I am not going to apologize to you for having seniority. Should I have done a voluntary furlough? Would you have done that? Am I sorry I interviewed before you did? Not really. That is just luck. Your problem has always been entitlement. Why me? You complained the whole time, even though times were tough after 9-11, and ALPA did the best it could. You were seniority challenged, just like many people today. That is unfortunate, but reality. Some people chose to go to United and leave Southwest as Captains pre 9-11. Do I feel sorry for them? You do. People make choices, and that can affect them for their whole lives. It looks like I probably have the seniority NOT to be furloughed currently, and I am not ashamed of that. Also, I suggest if you are not married now to marry "rich." My wife does really well as an Ad VP, and that helps. My mom always said "you can fall in love with a rich girl just as easy as you can fall in love with a poor one."

Bye Bye--General Lee

General, I, much like you, enjoy reading the difference of opinion on this board. However, the issue of picking up IA's/Green Slips/White Slips/etc. with people on furlough should be clear...DON'T DO IT...If the company cannot cover thier schedule with the staff they have, I guess they will have to call back furloughs. This has nothing to do with seniority. Yes a senior pilot is entitled to pick up overtime before a junior pilot, but each of us signed our ALPA card we took responsibility for keeping the junior pilots employed. 5000 hrs per month of open time divided by 70 hrs. per line equals about 70 pilots that could have kept their jobs if senior pilots would have simply flown their assigined trips and went home. When times are good, take your seniority and fly overtime until your butt is sore. When times are bad, fly your line and don't answer the phone. As far as I'm cocerned every union contract should limit average line values to 70-75 hrs/month and prohibit the pilots from picking up overtime when other pilots are on furlough. If the company can't find the staffing to cover the operation then they will think twice about layoffs, or at least be forced to make a few callbacks. If (when) we furlough after the merger you will not find my name on the Greenslip list, and if I fly with a Captain that is picking up extra flying it will be a very silent four day trip.

Also, I suggest if you are not married now to marry "rich." My wife does really well as an Ad VP, and that helps. My mom always said "you can fall in love with a rich girl just as easy as you can fall in love with a poor one."
An AD VP of what? The nickel ads rep for Fayette County. Nobody here believes your nonsense. Your wife, yeah whatever.

Last edited:
General, I, much like you, enjoy reading the difference of opinion on this board. However, the issue of picking up IA's/Green Slips/White Slips/etc. with people on furlough should be clear...DON'T DO IT...If the company cannot cover thier schedule with the staff they have, I guess they will have to call back furloughs. This has nothing to do with seniority. Yes a senior pilot is entitled to pick up overtime before a junior pilot, but each of us signed our ALPA card we took responsibility for keeping the junior pilots employed. 5000 hrs per month of open time divided by 70 hrs. per line equals about 70 pilots that could have kept their jobs if senior pilots would have simply flown their assigined trips and went home. When times are good, take your seniority and fly overtime until your butt is sore. When times are bad, fly your line and don't answer the phone. As far as I'm cocerned every union contract should limit average line values to 70-75 hrs/month and prohibit the pilots from picking up overtime when other pilots are on furlough. If the company can't find the staffing to cover the operation then they will think twice about layoffs, or at least be forced to make a few callbacks. If (when) we furlough after the merger you will not find my name on the Greenslip list, and if I fly with a Captain that is picking up extra flying it will be a very silent four day trip.

I understand where you are coming from. With the amount of posts I have, does it seem like I fly often? I do have lines that give me the low to mid 80's sometimes, but that is about it. Sometimes I swap to get a better trip, but that is about it. When Network Dork stated something about "yellow slips", I reminded him what they were about back when he was furloughed. I never said anything about picking up extra trips. I seem to get pretty close to what I want each month, and small tweaking is fine. My wife does great at her job, so I don't really have to pick up extra trips. I fly the ones I have, and enjoy them.

Bye Bye--General Lee

The tragedy of companies like Delta is that there are billions of dollars owed which will never be paid. Thousands of pilots lost pensions and senior management still left town with their retention bonuses and bankruptcy proof retirements. Nothing short of criminal negligence.

Don't worry Oldschool. The Gerbil Lee will let you know the upside of losing a pention and screwing creditors. He's upping his dose of kool-aide.

I understand where you are coming from. With the amount of posts I have, does it seem like I fly often? I do have lines that give me the low to mid 80's sometimes, but that is about it. Sometimes I swap to get a better trip, but that is about it. When Network Dork stated something about "yellow slips", I reminded him what they were about back when he was furloughed. I never said anything about picking up extra trips. I seem to get pretty close to what I want each month, and small tweaking is fine. My wife does great at her job, so I don't really have to pick up extra trips. I fly the ones I have, and enjoy them.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Sorry to jump on you there General. Just an issue that I have some strong feelings about. At my last company I was a few numbers away from the street and had the pleasure of flying with Captains who would gleefully boast about how much OT they were getting that month. It seems like the last time us here at DL had furloughs there were alot of pilots willing to walk over the furloughs for their own profit...in other news the $137 million is encouraging and hopefully we can avoid the industry trend of cutting pilot jobs this time around.

Last edited:
The facts are they are financing the merger on the backs of employees. These same employees seem giddy to be on their way!

All this with DALPA's approval. Apparently sacrificing a few young for a "promise" is status quo for an ALPO run pilot group!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back