DL low-cost carrier to be named "Song"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How about the callsign... "Cattle"

Because that's what a 757 packed full of people will feel like heading for Florida.

Last edited:
I heard about this on NPR this morning...they said that the first route was going to start flying in April from JFK to Flordia...Jetblue territory. Think they are going to have some of the Delta furloughs fly these before they take apps?

Song Airlines

FlyChicaga said:
I do have to admit that "Song" would be a ridiculous name. Maybe "Songbird" would be better... maybe.
Sorry, the name is taken. Sky King used it during the '50s when he named his Bamboo Bomber and 310.

Song Airlines, eh? Perhaps they could adopt Neil Diamond's "Song Sung Blue" as their jingle. Except that jetBlue may disapprove.

You know, years ago, airlines had great names. E.g., Challenger Airlines, Monarch Airlines, which were two of the old Frontier's original components. Metro Airlines. Air West. I agree with all opinions above that Song Airlines is lame.

Last edited:
That big a marketing department and the best they could come up with was "Song" ?!? The whole group should be fired. This could make the Continental Lite fiasco look like a major success. BTW, 757s have already replaced DLX 737s on JFK-FLL.

Its amazing that all the years of college represented at Delta and the best thing they can come up with is "Song". Guess they wanted Jazz and Tango but the canadians already had those!

As bad as the name is though, i think that they fact that its not Delta XXXX will help sell the fact that it is a "new" airline and a lowfare competitor. I think the Airlines that use the name of their airline within the name of the "new lowfare" version, create an image for the people that its really the same airline. WIth SONG coming out people will hopefully see it as a totally different airline, something new and exciting like jetblue...Of course Metrojet ruins my theory.

And I thought Pinnacle was pretty dam stupid.

pipers said:
I heard about this on NPR this morning...they said that the first route was going to start flying in April from JFK to Flordia...Jetblue territory. Think they are going to have some of the Delta furloughs fly these before they take apps?

Current Delta pilots will fly the LCC routes. Over the course of their rotation, 757/767 pilots will have some legs that are on Songair and others on mainline. They will be paid mainline rates while everyone else is paid less than their mainline counterparts. This is the opposite of how the groups are paid on Express.

Perhaps it refers to the fact that you can fly for a "song." That's an old saying for all of you young people.

Song's IFE

Race Pilot said:

On JetBlue they can watch real entertainers sing for them on their individual Live TV screen from their comfy leather seat.

This is from the Song PR:

"The most advanced in-flight entertainment technology available (October 2003). Song is partnering with Matsushi ta (flightinfo.com didn't like "Matsush ita") Avionics Systems and EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) and its DISH Network™ satellite TV service to provide a complement of on-board amenities, which will include:

Personal video monitors at every seat with "touch screen" technology and credit card "swipe" capability.

Live, all-digital satellite television programming from DISH Network.

Digitally-streamed MP3 audio programming, which will allow passengers to create a personal play list from an extensive library of audio files.

Pay-per-view programming available on demand, which will feature a wide-range of current offerings for all ages.

Multi-player interactive games that allow play between passengers.

Interactive iXplor moving map program with zoom capabilities and points of interest information.

Connecting gate information broadcast directly to personal in-seat video monitors.

Expandable in-flight entertainment technology which will facilitate the opportunity to integrate additional services in the future:

In-seat Internet connectivity

In-flight shopping and on-line product purchase capabilities

33 inches of legroom throughout the entire aircraft. This is the most legroom available from any low-fare service’s fleet and more than most major carriers.

<<end PR>>

JetBlue will no longer have a competitive advantage in available IFE or seating layouts.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back