• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

boscenter

DC-9 Evangelist
I hope this is a joke.... :eek:
Delta Air Lines' New Low-Fare Startup Airline Will Be Named 'Song,' Magazine Says

ATLANTA (AP) -- Delta Air Lines' new low-fare startup airline will be named "Song," Time magazine reported in its edition to be released Monday.

The low-fare carrier is an attempt by Delta to reproduce the success of rival JetBlue Airways, a three-year-old New York-based airline, analysts have said. Song will begin flying Boeing 757s in April from New York to Florida, an area where JetBlue has found success against Delta.

Deanna Baker, a spokeswoman for Atlanta-based Delta, on Sunday declined to confirm the name of the startup carrier.

"We have not announced a name at this time and we haven't announced we're going to announce a name," Baker said.

Delta, the nation's third-largest airline, plans to avoid its hubs with Song and will fly the unit's jets more hours per day than the mainline operations.

The magazine reported that Delta also attempted to copy JetBlue's success by working with the designer of that carrier's uniforms for Song. The designer declined, Time said.

Song would offer only coach class seating with one-way fares below $299.

Delta is expected to end the operations of its Florida-based Delta Express unit.

Not sure...

This rumor has been floating around for some time now, probably about a month - 6 weeks. Apparently, Joe Brancatelli (sp?) of "The Travel Insider" weekly travel newsletter was looking at new domain name registrations and stumbled upon "Songair.com", "Song-airlines.com", "Songairlines.com", etc. Those might not have been the exact names but you catch my drift. He saw that the registrant was a marketing/branding/consulting firm that DL uses and concluded that it must be the new LCC's name, based on circumstantial evidence. Keep in mind that these and other companies snatch up domain names by the 100s/1000s just to secure them for possible future use, or to sell. This particular company has many other clients too, of course. It looks like Time picked up on the rumor, which was then picked up by AP. I don't know what the true new name will be. It could very well be "Song", but I would regard this story as suspect until we have an official PR from DL.

I agree it sounds like a joke or a trial balloon. I can hear the people responsible for coming up with the name, "we locked ourselves in a room for two weeks and didn't eat until we came up with a great name".
If it is legit the next fews names will be stupid, and then broke.
But what do I know? I never thought rap music would be around as long as it has :).

I guess the customers on there will be having SOOOOO much fun that they will be singing the entire flight, hence the beautiful name. On JetBlue they can watch real entertainers sing for them on their individual Live TV screen from their comfy leather seat.

I've been told that JetBlue entertained the name "Taxi" for a short time. Wouldn't that suck, "Taxi 11, taxi to Rwy 4L via Bravo and Kilo taxiways." "Taxi 11, roger." "Ground, American 60, was that clearance to taxi for us or for Taxi????????"

As long as the check is good and you have an airplane to fly. Who cares what name is on the check. I don't think that will stop people from sending a resume in.

Hey Race Pilot, are you still going to fly for Roush after you are at Jet Blue? I heard that he was considering getting rid of the 72's, True? Sorry this is a little off the subjuct. -Bean

It's a Glock 36 a compact .45 cal. It's nice gun good for concealing if you can do that where you live. I don't have one but I have a Glock 22 a .40 cal.

Latest resources

Back