• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DL & AS announcement on Monday in SEA!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sure it's a win when you are the carrier growing. Our block hours are down year after year after year. Some of that is Europe but a lot of it is code share. the only thing saving us block hour wise is parking RJs.

We have no growth airplanes ordered until those wayyyyyyyy off into the future 787s in 2020. My rant is not directed at you personally, we bought off on this back door deal.....I just wish my fellow pilots would see the light of where this is going.

Aeromexico...DL investment.....new jets
air France....sky team....new jets
Alaska.....big code share....new jets
Gol.....DL investment.....new jets and just bought another airline.
Aeroflot.....sky team.....new jets

DELTA.....big fat zero growth....contraction is the word.
Delta could NEVER cover the West coast like Alaska does. A code share is the only logical arrangement.

Sure it's a win when you are the carrier growing. Our block hours are down year after year after year. Some of that is Europe but a lot of it is code share. the only thing saving us block hour wise is parking RJs.

We have no growth airplanes ordered until those wayyyyyyyy off into the future 787s in 2020. My rant is not directed at you personally, we bought off on this back door deal.....I just wish my fellow pilots would see the light of where this is going.

Aeromexico...DL investment.....new jets
air France....sky team....new jets
Alaska.....big code share....new jets
Gol.....DL investment.....new jets and just bought another airline.
Aeroflot.....sky team.....new jets

DELTA.....big fat zero growth....contraction is the word.

Not........really. The 88 717s and 25 MD90s will make up for the 17 remaining DC9s leaving in the next couple years. In fact, the remaining DC9s may now stay until 2014, not 2013 as originally planned. All 25 MD90s should be here by then, too. Also, many "super premium widebodies" (744s and A330s) have been doing interior mods and adding AVOD (video screens in seat), and consequently the block hours on those fleets have been way down. As they all come back, there will be an increase, and corresponding bids as FOs bid over to higher paying Capt seats on new narrowbodies coming in. The sky isn't falling at all. If the 88 717s are growth (not replacing DC9s, the 25 MD90s are), and there will be 7 crews per 717, that would mean 616 new Capt slots for those planes, which will pay $195 per hour by 2015. I'd say that could be popular, and that would be the smallest plane at DL by 2015.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Poor delta.... Everyone is taking "their" flying! How dare they!

I think people are mad that DL gave it up under a previous CEO, who did have the "Western Airlines" routes and moved the assets East. We all know that happened, and your airline was a small one at that time mainly flying to Alaska. I don't think DL will now add extra flights to compete, but will fill in the rest of the country where there are gaps, with 717s for example.

At the same time, I see AK's growth limited too. Yeah, maybe SAN is your next target, since DL isn't there already. I do know you do a lot of Hawaii, very impressive. I don't see any overlap except SEA to HNL. Who flies from LAX to all the islands and from SFO to HNL? Why haven't you guys started those yet? Maybe someday.

Bye Bye---General Lee

It just aint gonna happen with 50 new 737MAX's. I guess your only hope is that merger with Hawaiian. (unless it is absorbed by someone else first?)

Aloha!

Bye Bye---General Lee

the all 737 fleet would fit really well with the Airbus, 76 and 71 fleet.. right? ;)

And what would you call the new airline? what would be on the tail?

na... I don't think it would work.

the all 737 fleet would fit really well with the Airbus, 76 and 71 fleet.. right? ;)

And what would you call the new airline? what would be on the tail?

na... I don't think it would work.

I'm just stating that was a "rumor" out there. So, which fleet would match up better with yours, IF a merger were ever to happen? Any ideas?

Bye Bye---General Lee

I'm just stating that was a "rumor" out there. So, which fleet would match up better with yours, IF a merger were ever to happen? Any ideas?

Bye Bye---General Lee

I'm not the CEO, nor do I sit on the board, but it seems to me the only thing I would do is what made sense to the share holders.. it's all $$ and what the offer price is for the stock in the end.

HOWEVER, strategically AS makes a lot of sense, as the West Coast / Hawaii would be locked up by them.... OPERATIONALLY it would be difficult.. I think a DAL purchase would make much more sense due to fleet commonality and the presence of DAL in the Pacific / Japan assuming DAL wants into the leisure market in Hawaii, and assuming the state of Hawaii cooperates with them (read lobbying is likely very necessary).

I'd love nothing more than see us remain Hawaiian however, whether this is likely to be the case, I am as much a spectator as you all.

I think people are mad that DL gave it up under a previous CEO, who did have the "Western Airlines" routes and moved the assets East. We all know that happened, and your airline was a small one at that time mainly flying to Alaska. I don't think DL will now add extra flights to compete, but will fill in the rest of the country where there are gaps, with 717s for example.

At the same time, I see AK's growth limited too. Yeah, maybe SAN is your next target, since DL isn't there already. I do know you do a lot of Hawaii, very impressive. I don't see any overlap except SEA to HNL. Who flies from LAX to all the islands and from SFO to HNL? Why haven't you guys started those yet? Maybe someday.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Wow...General Lee posting an informative, non-incendiary post about another airline. Someone's growing up...:D

I thought by now we'd be flying to Sitka together...

Mookie

Wow...General Lee posting an informative, non-incendiary post about another airline. Someone's growing up...:D

I thought by now we'd be flying to Sitka together...

Mookie

It's on my wish list Mookie, behind Sonic Cruiser Capt and Space Shuttle FO (for the 3 day Moon trips). Someday Mookie, someday..... ;)

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back