DL 757 engine smoke in EGE???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cold WX TEMP Adjst.

We do not have another set of chats, we just have altitude adjustment tables for Cold weather and Hot weather ops...

Cold weather adjustments are made for any TEMP below 0C.

Some ATC facilities in regions we operate into already incoperate the TEMP adjustment to the assigned ALT... However, minimas and MDAs have to be adjusted by us with referance to the tables mentioned.

T

Last edited:
What is the reason for the increased cold temp ALT?

It seems that the aircraft would perform better (more lift/power) in colder wx, but I guess that the high altitude could negate that advantage......

You are SO cool. Man, I wish I could be a big 757 pilot like you.

Enjoy your MD back to the M88.

Someone add something to your cheerios this morning?

What is the reason for the increased cold temp ALT?

It seems that the aircraft would perform better (more lift/power) in colder wx, but I guess that the high altitude could negate that advantage......

Uncompensated barometric altimeters can have pretty big errors when the temp get's very cold... We run changes on the required altitudes (either pre calculated "cold plates" or run altitude corrections on the fixes vs. station temp to correct for the errors.

The whole idea is to ensure terrain separation (we only do this stuff in terrain critical airports for the most part). When station temps get below -25C, the whole show comes to a stop and it's day VFR ops only.

Hey, thanks for the reply/info.

That aspect didn't even enter my thought process. Let this be a shining example of the effects of Nyquel (sp?) and how it dulls the mind.

Y'all stay clear of this H1N1 flu stuff. It is really no fun......

The RB211 almost killed Lockheed and the L-1011 program.....

Shoulda gone with P&W Power

Lockheed`s decision to build the #2 engine compartment so small that it would only accomidate the RB211 and not a Pratt or GE engine is what almost killed the L1011. Of course the crappy origional RB211 was also a big factor. Thank Pratt and Whitney for help correcting the problems. Plastic fan blades and an aluminum case just wouldn`t work. Also thank the Delta mechs for devising a way to bore scope the engines to keep them from coming apart.

Latest resources

Back