• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

divorce=bankruptcy=nojob?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Her student loans are not "community property" as credit cards, property and car loans are.
Dunno 'bout other places, but in NC this statement is not true. When I experienced something similar during my last divorce, my attorney told me a few horror stories about wives intentionally running up debt to skew calculations during the Equitable Distribution hearing, student loans being added to the calcs, etc. In North Carolina, if your wife runs up a debt from the day you're married till the day of your legal seperation ... half of it is yours, no matter where it came from. :(

Minh

Halle Berry is available now.

That's one of the funnier things I've read here in a while... "a month ago someone else got tired of the b*tches' sh*t". :D

I've never heard of a state where one marriage partner's STUDENT loans were EVER split between the two in divorce proceedings, unless, as someone else mentioned, you've consolidated them into a 2nd mortgage or other personal loan.

Before you go filing bankruptcy to get out of them, better ask your BR attorney, 'cause per some federal laws that were enacted in the late '90's, even in Bankruptcy Student loans are not dischargeable...

I asked a lot of these same questions after getting into a large amount of debt with a family business, and ended up having to file reorganization. Remember, it's the unsecured debt that is the big write-off item; if you want to keep houses and cars and you don't have much unsecured debt, bankruptcy isn't much help.

As far as credit checks? I've been told by the AIR, Inc people that most regionals don't run them, most majors do, and just about every reputable Corporate outfit ALWAYS does and BR can be a big negative, so be prepared to explain it and show that you had tried all available means of debt consolidation, debt/credit counseling, reduced repayment plans, EVERYTHING, and had NO alternative to maintain a place to live, a car to drive, and a way to put food on the table.

Good luck,,,

she said "I'm not going to move around and follow you while you sit in that little airplane!!! I don't want you to be a pilot you can be a custodian at my dads church

D*mn dude. What an unsupportive BEAAAAATCH! You helped her get her Masters and now she insults your dreams?
Sorry about your dilemma. but...

Please be sure to write her name clearly on bathroom walls nationwide so we can be sure not to caught up with the likes of her!!

Just got back from the property "mediation"!!! And very good news...The B!tch got HER student loans(30k) and the credit card (I told her we did not need) and the dept on the car. So basically things worked out okay. Like I told my parents (who have been there from day one and helped me above and beyond the call of parents) I did not win the war (neither of us did because no one wins in divorce) but I won the important BATTLES!!! I am left with my flight loans to pay and a credit card I did have access to use so on the whole I came out a lot better than I could have. The problem with her side was She kept bad records and I could prove all the amounts and smacked her around with the true number amounts. To get out of her student loans I used a "increased lifestyle change" (meaning she would have to pay me money each month) so she backed off the payment of student loans. So no bankruptcy in my future...again thanks to the Board for advice and support...and trust me once we sign the "final" document I will Work my ass off in the airplane and on the ramp(a great employee of a "regional"airline)to pay off my flight loans and move on...maybe I'll find a flight attendant to shack up with?

Good to hear, glad that a bad situation wasn't made worse.

One piece of advice: DON'T DIP YOUR PEN IN THE COMPANY INK!! Been there, done that, very bad juju... Find some OTHER company's F/A to shack up with! :D :D :D

Good luck!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back