• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Displaced Capt. at ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Probably because he'll be losing 15K-20K per year and won't be able to feed his kids, I'm just saying...

A junior CA shouldn't live on the edge of his or her means...maybe the new BMW wasn't the best thing to lease.

A junior CA shouldn't live on the edge of his or her means...maybe the new BMW wasn't the best thing to lease.

How about it's none of your business what he does with his money, or if he decides to pick up trips. This is work, you are here to provide for yourself, and your family. Thats the only obligation one has. You guys act as if flying for an airline is some kind of club. Its a job. WAKE UP!!

How about it's none of your business what he does with his money, or if he decides to pick up trips. This is work, you are here to provide for yourself, and your family. Thats the only obligation one has. You guys act as if flying for an airline is some kind of club. Its a job. WAKE UP!!

Although it's kind of harsh, I agree. What people fail to understand is that maybe he/she didn't buy a BMW. Maybe after 4 years of FO pay living in a 1 bedroom apt with his wife and two kids in the ghetto, he purchased a modest three bedroom house in a better area for his family that has been sucking it up for the last four years or so, probably longer if he was like me and instructed for two years and FO'd at another regional before ASA. I feel for the FO's that got furloughed and will receive nothing but a lousy unemployment check. But I equally feel for the displaced captains that tried to make better lifestyles for their family's as well and now are not quite exactly sure where the additional funds to cover their "modest" lifestyle will come from.

I'll be bidding the 70 just to spice things up a little bit. Plus I may have told a couple of our A**hole 50 seat captains to F**k off once I upgraded thinking I would never have to fly with them again ;-)

You're in for an experience then going to the 700. Don't get your feelings hurt to bad now!

You're in for an experience then going to the 700. Don't get your feelings hurt to bad now!

I don't get my feelings hurt. If I don't like you then you truly are a d*ck. I can tolerate just about anybody for a 4 day trip and if I can't then they're probably one of the guys/girls everyone knows about. Fortunately we have a great group of pilots and the handful of pric*s we have, well I just pity them. I hope your not one of the guys I'll be pushing down the seniority list, if I am then I am sorry. I just need some new overnights and that's the real reason for switching over, that and the couple of extra bucks to offset the loss in salary from the displacement.

I don't get my feelings hurt. If I don't like you then you truly are a d*ck. I can tolerate just about anybody for a 4 day trip and if I can't then they're probably one of the guys/girls everyone knows about. Fortunately we have a great group of pilots and the handful of pric*s we have, well I just pity them. I hope your not one of the guys I'll be pushing down the seniority list, if I am then I am sorry. I just need some new overnights and that's the real reason for switching over, that and the couple of extra bucks to offset the loss in salary from the displacement.

I am but that is the game. I have to deal with it or leave. The airplane is nice but the overnights get old quick. Same old places. Trying to get back to the 200 but don't think they will let us bid down. Instead the junior guys get displaced and I stay.

I am but that is the game. I have to deal with it or leave. The airplane is nice but the overnights get old quick. Same old places. Trying to get back to the 200 but don't think they will let us bid down. Instead the junior guys get displaced and I stay.

I know the feeling, most of the overnights suck on the 200 as well. Actually, there probably not that bad but there's only so many times I can go to JAN before losing my mind. This is really a no win situation for anyone. I'm sorry for pushing you down the list, but believe me if it was up to me I'd stay exactly where I am now. Hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel!

I know the feeling, most of the overnights suck on the 200 as well. Actually, there probably not that bad but there's only so many times I can go to JAN before losing my mind. This is really a no win situation for anyone. I'm sorry for pushing you down the list, but believe me if it was up to me I'd stay exactly where I am now. Hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel!

Do what you have to do, and you don't have to apologize. But take the worthless instructor pilot rightseaters with you.

I think you can bid down to a vacancy during a displacement, but you can't bump a junior pilot from his seat unless you are actually on the displacement list. However, I haven't actually checked the contract myself so might be wrong. I was considering trying to bid down because I think I might end up on reserve but changed my mind.

Last edited:
Sure, let me help...since your brothers and sisters will be on the street why would you pick up overtime?

Pilots were picking up trips (overtime is a mischaracterization) long before the contract was signed in 2007. Why shouldn't they now? Someone will have to fly them, otherwise--either by extensions or using reserves.

Average line values were between 83 and 87 hours for years. They will be again. When the economy turns around, growth will increase, and the need for pilots will increase.

Latest resources

Back