Dispatcher Practical test

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RichardRambone said:
Thanks for the heads up. So from what I gather you guys handle the preflight aspect of any flight. I can see how that is an important job. Thanks.

It's more than just the "preflight" aspect, much more...

If you take a look at the FAR 1.1 definition of "operational control" you'll see the three words initiating, conducting, and terminating. "Initiating" is easy to understand (generating the preflight paperwork) but that's where some folks (including pilots) stop reading. As far as "conducting" goes, the dispatcher can't be onboard every aircraft he/she dispatches, but there are various other FARs that entails the dispatcher's influencing the conduct of the operation. "Terminating", as its name implies, means that the dispatcher sometimes has to be the one to pull the plug on an unsafe operation, by diverting, cancelling, or in rare instances, using their own emergency authority... (Yes, Virginia, aircraft dispatchers can declare emergencies...) ;)

I don't know about other schools but all three dispatch jobs I have been hired for I found on the Sheffield graduates website. To me that in itself has been worth the cost of admission. I graduated in 1992 and still have access to it.

I entered the 6 week course, even tho I could have taken the "short" course being an avaition idiot savant (Comm pilot). Glad I took the 6 weeks.

I didn't go to Sheffield, but ya'll are right - they put out very good students and when I hire those folks. Go to FLL for school!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back