Dispatcher Practical test

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

leartwenty4

I just recently found out a little bit about getting a dispatcher rating and I am looking for a little clarification from the people in the know.

From what I have read there is a written test (much like the pilots ATP test), so many hours of schooling or so much time in a specific job, and a practical test with the FAA.

How tough was the FAA test? I read the PTS for the practical on the FAA site. I will confess my ignorance and say that until I read that and I think it was 65.57, I had no idea that there is a practical test. Is the practical a formality when they hand you your license, or a several hour slugfest with an FAA examiner?

Has anyone here gained their experience on the job being a flight follower or pilot or the like, instead of going to a school?

Just an ignorant pilot trying to find some answers. Leartwenty4

Written and Oral, test...usually you will take the written about half way through your dispatch class...this is an 80 queston test, out of a possible 1580 questions....

The oral and practical test is with an FAA examiner and scheduled for 8 hours, generally they take about 5..these can be real tough because they are ad-lib tests...you will be required to perform a hand calculated flight plan and release..

Good luck, but learn the stuff....

The written IS the ATP test (plus an additional 10 dispatch questions in the bank). Just study the Gleim book and you'll be fine.

My oral was a tad over 3 hrs. The length is totally dependent upon the examiner and what he's looking for, how long it takes you to do your flight plan, etc.

Manual flight plan was difficult and took about 3 hours, then 3 hour oral with FAA examiner. All in all it was pretty hard but I felt totally prepared, there was no surprises.

Rod

Thanks twabudman, rvsm410, SKC, rod guhzhinya. I think I understand a little more now. Did all of you go through schools or did any of you get the experience requirement first then take the test? Thanks for the replys, Leartwenty4

I took the FAA allowed "short course", which basically means that you take the written before you show up at the dispatch school.

PM me for more info if u like.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back