Dispatch Opening Las Vegas

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
C425Driver said:
Just curious, is there still a guy named Rick S. working in dispatch at Allegiant?

C425Driver

HaHaHa...NATCH...If he really likes you he nicknames you DeltaChuck (d***cheese). Last I heard he was still there. Sure enjoyed the short time I worked with him at another airline

what training is required for dispatch? i don't work for an airline so i dunno. do they have the same type of training as, say, ATC before getting sent out into the field, or can Joey Joe-Joe Schabadu come in off the street, get on-the-site training, and then work dispatch? also, pardon the hijack, what are the typical duties of dispatch?

You might want to do some research on the subject, there is a little more to the position that what you think, of course Homerdispatch will have the full 411 for you, widely known amongst he's peers as "Gods gift to dispatch"....I would help you but his omni-presence would certainly find fault with my reply. Do your homework and learn the real world situation, not the school manufactured blue sky outlook just to get your $$$....good luck

thanks for the tip. i was more just looking for the quick, easy, overview-of-the-job-for-a-dummy description. not sure what i want to do in aviation yet, and i figured now was a good a time as any to hijack someone's thread and ask about dispatching! i'm a thread-pirate. yaaarhh.

cforst513 said:
thanks for the tip. i was more just looking for the quick, easy, overview-of-the-job-for-a-dummy description. not sure what i want to do in aviation yet, and i figured now was a good a time as any to hijack someone's thread and ask about dispatching! i'm a thread-pirate. yaaarhh.

STAY THE HELL OUT OF AVIATION!!! BE A BANKER!!!!

Seriously, this ain't the same industry it used to be, even just 5 years ago. ALWAYS have a backup plan.

don't worry, props, i already have a BS in biology. that's my bacckup plan.

I second Props Motion.....do something else....make good money...fly for fun...the 172 is the most fune you will probably ever have in Aviation...

cforst513 said:
what training is required for dispatch? i don't work for an airline so i dunno. do they have the same type of training as, say, ATC before getting sent out into the field, or can Joey Joe-Joe Schabadu come in off the street, get on-the-site training, and then work dispatch? also, pardon the hijack, what are the typical duties of dispatch?

In order to be a Dispatcher you first have to attain your license. There are several schools around the country you can do this. Some programs can finish you in as quick as 6 weeks. I did mine in college and it took 2 semesters. You'll also have to take your ATP written exam which is the same as the 121 ATP written, with the exception of there being questions related specifically to Dispatch.

Once you get your license you can apply for a Dispatch position with an airline. Most Regionals will hire a newly licensed dispatcher. The majors and much larger air carriers want to see dispatch experience before hiring you.

As far as the job goes you are responsible for a number of things such as flight planning, weather, alternates, fuel, monitoring the progress of flights, etc, etc, etc. Its not a bad job to have if you want to be in the aviation industry without flying. In addition its something to fall back on if you lose your medical and want to stay in the industry. I worked for a regional 6yrs ago as a dispatcher and made about $22-24k. It was a good job to have while I was in flight school and it kept me up to speed on the FARS.

I got my license through college as well. I worked as a Part 91/135 DX for a year and a half while earning my commercial SE/ME and CFI certificates...EXTREMELY valuable experience in back-of-the-house operations. Learned a ton about how the NAS/IFR system operates and tricks to manipulate it. I loved the experience, but honestly, the job is rather mundane most of the time. I don't know how some of you do that job for years and decades!

Last edited:
thanks azaviator. that's what i was looking for. i guess working as a dispatcher for an airline takes a bit more training than my dispatcher job at my flight school!! :D :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back