Dispatch Opening Las Vegas

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cforst513 said:
thanks azaviator. that's what i was looking for. i guess working as a dispatcher for an airline takes a bit more training than my dispatcher job at my flight school!! :D :rolleyes:

Yes, yes it does. You are correct. There is definately a bit more to the training than needed for your typical flight school dispatcher.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but it is not as easy to get into nor will you make the high coin that is typically advertized when looking for a dispatch school. I mean, take a look at rvsm410, he's applied to and probably interviewed at EVERY airline in the country and finally found someone to hire him.

There are good days and there are bad days as a dispatcher. You will start out bottom of the seniority, get stuck with crappy shifts, available overtime is taken up by seniority so you're stuck with crappy base pay - but things get better with time. Eventually you'll be bidding weekends off, pick up enough overtime to keep you in a living wage scale, seniority enough to not get bumped off of every flight, and vacation time to actually use your non-rev flight benefits.

• Is it a good job? Yes. (if you can stand sitting on your butt, multi-tasking in a busy office environment)
  • Would I rather be doing something else? Yes. (snorkel and a coral reef in the pacific would be great)
  • Would I reccommend this career to others? Not very often. (it just ain't what it used to be)

rvsm410 said:

You might want to do some research on the subject, there is a little more to the position that what you think, of course Homerdispatch will have the full 411 for you, widely known amongst he's peers as "Gods gift to dispatch"....I would help you but his omni-presence would certainly find fault with my reply. Do your homework and learn the real world situation, not the school manufactured blue sky outlook just to get your $$$....good luck

"Gods gift to dispatch"... I like that! In fact I think I'll use it on my profile.

BTW... its HomerJDispatch!

FlyJumpseat is right on. I couldn't have said it better myself, no matter what RVSM410 thinks.

I'll take the bait...and add to that

flyjumpseat said:
Yes, yes it does. You are correct. There is definately a bit more to the training than needed for your typical flight school dispatcher.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but it is not as easy to get into nor will you make the high coin that is typically advertized when looking for a dispatch school. I mean, take a look at rvsm410, he's applied to and probably interviewed at EVERY airline in the country and finally found someone to hire him.

There are good days and there are bad days as a dispatcher. You will start out bottom of the seniority, get stuck with crappy shifts, available overtime is taken up by seniority so you're stuck with crappy base pay - but things get better with time. Eventually you'll be bidding weekends off, pick up enough overtime to keep you in a living wage scale, seniority enough to not get bumped off of every flight, and vacation time to actually use your non-rev flight benefits.

• Is it a good job? Yes. (if you can stand sitting on your butt, multi-tasking in a busy office environment)
  • Would I rather be doing something else? Yes. (snorkel and a coral reef in the pacific would be great)
  • Would I reccommend this career to others? Not very often. (it just ain't what it used to be)

You're accurate in the job description, but a little confused about my efforts to find work. Having dispatched for 3 airlines and then furloughed. It's true, I have had "contact" with just about every regional airline and some other LCC's in the country over the past 30 months, Interviewed by many, received 3 on the spot offers, 4 more offers after interview(s). Whats my problem you ask, I could let HomerJ AKA "god Gift" answer this, he probably will anyway, but the real problem is plainly the cost of living verses the pay having to commute away from your home and family residing in another state.

It is very tough to do this when your married with kids and make any financial sense out of doing it, even with LCC's. Try supporting yourself and sending any money home on $32K/yr in LAS, or $36K in JFK or the best of regionals earning $28K...Like I said earlier, this is fine if your a young man with no family elsewhere, you can move, comute etc...good luck, but it is not the same as it use to be for sure....Over to Homer now! :)

RE:Alligeant air

Hey there..
I had an offer in a management position..training all station managers...
ticketing, ops, ect. doing audits and lots of travel..What a joke??$28,000
on salary?? I dont think so...Anyway...this is the new airline age..after deregulation, 9/11, fuel costs, bankrupcies, people take jobs just cause they love the industry. Not, to make money..If your partner is rich or has a professional job..guess what you can afford to play now. That is the only was I can stay in it. I can't pay the bills now. I just love to fly..

I hear ya!!
Loose Diamond

Love the industry...we all do or Did..But...

LooseDiamond said:
Hey there..
I had an offer in a management position..training all station managers...
ticketing, ops, ect. doing audits and lots of travel..What a joke??$28,000
on salary?? I dont think so...Anyway...this is the new airline age..after deregulation, 9/11, fuel costs, bankrupcies, people take jobs just cause they love the industry. Not, to make money..If your partner is rich or has a professional job..guess what you can afford to play now. That is the only was I can stay in it. I can't pay the bills now. I just love to fly..

I hear ya!!
Loose Diamond

Well I am fortunate enough that I dont have to work as your example above states and I recognize your reasons for the industry changes. However I certainly could have taken several Dx offers if I just wanted to do it for the Love of it...However as much as I love the work and smell of jet fuel in the morning stuff...
I just can't and won't do my craft for the salaries that are being offered at most of the regionals, (homer, easy now) and I feel I would do every working dispatcher an injustice by accepting a job where there seems to be no limit to how low the bar will go. The pilot ranks here talk about this all the time, and I feel for them too, but as long as there are those people being pumped out of Joe schmoes aviation school with visions of 6-figure salaries, there will be no stopping the degradation of salaries. The only thing all of us can do is NOT accept them and nicely tell them why, then move on....I have done this many times..and yes I have not dispatched in a while...

As a dispatcher/Pilot, I fully realize who is at the pointy end of the tin can and who is "ultimately" responsible for these people and aircaft...I am not going there or picking a fight....BUT even Homer would agree that the regs are very clear about "sharing Operational control" with the PIC...with that responsibility on everyone of our releases...well, that is further reason to not accept some dispatch jobs just for the "love" of it...

I say keep your priorities in order, God, Family, etc...but for pete sakes dont sell out the profession because you love it, I say go fly a LSA or something in GA that will satisfy the Love...But thats just me..go ahead homer....I know you'll love this one.....

So rvsm, are ya going to move the family to Vegas or are you going to commute? I see you are selling the house there in Florida...

Vegas is great, but just the opposite of you, G4 can't (or won't) pay me enough to stay in Vegas. Nothing wrong with Vegas. Nothing wrong with G4. The dispatch management seemed like great people when I was there. Yes, I live in Vegas but work elsewhere. Commuting sucks, but ya do what ya gotta do. Regionals or majors - not sure what G4 is classified as - but either one is all about what you want to do or sacrifice.

Need a real estate agent in Vegas? PM me and I'll reply with his contact info.

flyjumpseat said:
So rvsm, are ya going to move the family to Vegas or are you going to commute? I see you are selling the house there in Florida...

Vegas is great, but just the opposite of you, G4 can't (or won't) pay me enough to stay in Vegas. Nothing wrong with Vegas. Nothing wrong with G4. The dispatch management seemed like great people when I was there. Yes, I live in Vegas but work elsewhere. Commuting sucks, but ya do what ya gotta do. Regionals or majors - not sure what G4 is classified as - but either one is all about what you want to do or sacrifice.

Need a real estate agent in Vegas? PM me and I'll reply with his contact info.

The short answer is no, not going to Vegas, due to the cost of living and the commute. Not going to dispatch anytime soon either, though I would love have for G4, it's just not in the cards for me. I have to say folks I dealt with there were terrific, and the most people oriented director I have ever dealt with in this industry.. "Casey H." real nice guy!
As for selling the house, that had nothing to do with me working or not. I'm just tired of cutting the grass! We are buying a condo here in Florida away from the water!

????

I thought u were working in NY??? What happened to NAA?? because of he World merger?? I thought they were keeping he NAA peeps.

twabudman said:
I thought u were working in NY??? What happened to NAA?? because of he World merger?? I thought they were keeping he NAA peeps.

No I turned down NAA before AAY, they had both been inwork at the same time....to expensive to live in JFK or LAS on the pay offered...bad commute with only 2 days off a week ....different kind of dispatch schedule there (NAA) 5 on 2 off....normal is 4 on 3 off...But commuting from LAS is tough even with 3 days off....
As I have said before, My days of looking around the country for work is over, not planning on 121 dispatching again unless I were to live in that city....

Latest resources

Back