• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dismissed from Shares for calling in sick

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
:angryfire Dismissed from Shares for calling in sick, wouldn't give me time off for my grandfathers funeral

Last edited:
I'd talk to the POI. With the death of a Grandfather, you obviously are not in a mental/emotional state to fly safely. That is a perfectly good reason to call in sick and one that the FAA should support.

:angryfire Dismissed from Shares for calling in sick, wouldn't give me time off for my grandfathers funeral

I am sorry for your loss, but I have a hard time buying this one. I have never had any trouble getting time off when needed. I may have to make it back up if not excused, but I got it. Who are the initals of your ACP? Need more background before I jump on this one.

Can the Teamsters help out?

I'm just a line pilot, no union position or anything. I didn't think that Citation Shares pilots were represented by the Teamsters, or any Union, but maybe I am wrong. If you worked there you would know better than me.

I would think that if you guys are represented by the teamsters, or any union, they will get very involved. I would call your steward ASAP.

Also, if you are not represented, but have been let go due to union organizing or other union activities (even if they did not give you that reason, but it is your belief) I would get ahold of the union ASAP also, as I believe that is illegal.

If your group is nonunion, and not involved in organizing, i am not really sure what steps you can take. Perhaps FLMA (Family Medical Leave Act) applies? Any state laws mandating time off due to a death in the family? I would consult a labor law attorney on those issues, as I really don't know.

Latest resources

Back