• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Discussion with the V.P @ Skywest. ASA lookout

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You must be a newhire. Good for you. Comair is still around. In your opinion? Your opinion is chicken little. Just about on par with Joe Merchant and anti alpa. The sky is falling, the sky is falling. If your so sure about it, then quit. Don't go away mad....

Trojan

If your best arguement to the status quo is that Comair is still around, then we see things completely different

Last edited:
Don't be blaming the Skywest pilots. So hundreds of thousands of pilots of the all mighty ALPA is ineffective against a group of 2800 Skywest pilots. Give me a break! Before you blame others, you should look inward. And you wonder why pilots are questioning ALPA and their MECs leadership.

Ok, I'll take that back. Its not the pilots' fault. It's JA fault. But you have to ask, who lets JA do it? That is not rhetorical question, its a serious honest question that I hope you can answer for me.

ALPA is only as strong as their pilots. With SKW being non-union, there is no strength in them because they have even less leverage than ALPA to do anything (n fact, they are used against other ALPA pilots). For example of having no leverage just look at the attempted buyout of XJT. The SKW pilots were just spectators during the attempted XJT. Your livelihoods were in the hands of negotiators from XJT ALPA, with the input of ASA ALPA, (and who were also looking out for the betterment of SKW pilots, by the way) and your management. The pilots at XJT and ASA both had a seat at the table yet SKW pilots were impotent to whatever came of it. Luckily for all three pilot groups, what JA wanted to do did not come to fruition. Your welcome.

There is a lot of blame to go around at ALPA. There has been bad leadership and bad decisions. Keep in mind that other than the president, ALPA is run by volunteers that are elected to those positions. But I feel that ALPA has finally turned the corner and are on a path that helps protect all airline pilots livelihoods.

One last thing, you cannot ignore the fact that ALPA has helped make your profession safer. That in itself should be reason enough to be a part of ALPA, so that you are more likely to make it home after every trip. As I write, ALPA is working to make us all safer. Your welcome.

Last edited:
Your post smells of desperation. Think before you write next time.

My post smells of reality--maybe you don't like the smell of reality. I always think before I write. Most businesses and institutions have a facade on front to project a desired image or brand--because perception is everything. However, what's behind the facade is usually quite different than perception.

Most of us have friends at every airline, including yours. Contrary to popular belief, it is not bliss heaven. Be Proud, But Get Real!

If you don't see ASA in a slow death..... I'll hate to say I told you so in five years or however long it takes for ASA to eventually go away.

What is your evidence or proof? Please, be specific.

Has anybody heard that there is a world recession going on, with US unemployment approaching 10%, no business travel, negative growth in the economy, the Government spending money they don't have, and 10% reductions in capacity for the last couple of years? It will get worse before it gets better.

If you are tuned into that, then you should be able to understand what is going on with your Company, furloughs, reduced block hours, monthly guantee lines.

Please, connect the dots. Are you tracking me?

Last edited:
Lets put it this way. SKW is coming up to a benchmark in their contract with DAL. It is going to be very interesting to see how things go after October. A lot of airplanes are in play.

Lets put it this way. SKW is coming up to a benchmark in their contract with DAL. It is going to be very interesting to see how things go after October. A lot of airplanes are in play.

Is that the "second cheapest" benchmark?

One of them. Call your buddy DF and ask him. From what I hear he is getting nervous for a few carriers.

I am very glad we were sold off to Skywest for that very reason....Comair is going to continue to shrink...It's a shame that you seem so happy to see your former colleagues at the "regionals" get the shaft....We sure have created a mess within our so called "brotherhood" of ALPA....It's every man for themselves.....

Latest resources

Back