• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dirty Tricks From Whipsaw City, part 1

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why don't you get your buddy Sal to come on here and admit he was wrong. Because, as it turns out and like we've been trying to tell you, our union leaders had your back on this one. Probably because they are pilots themselves.

It's always really that simple.

That is rrright up to that awkward moment when SLI like UNICAL is initiated then it will be ........ More WHIPSAW action.

That is rrright up to that awkward moment when SLI like UNICAL is initiated then it will be ........ More WHIPSAW action.

Yes, management groups have always exploited that "awkward moment" haven't they? After all it's the nature of the beast that an acquisition/merger will always generate a seniority list intergration and management teams know that these circumstances are fraught with opportunities to devide the pilots. And to be fair, we as pilots have almost always fallen for it.

But, the landscape has changed, due to McCaskill Bond. Now it's harder to blame the union and devide the pilots because what happens with the seniority lists is governed by the law not by internal union policy.

But, the landscape has changed, due to McCaskill Bond. Now it's harder to blame the union and devide the pilots because what happens with the seniority lists is governed by the law not by internal union policy.

Does MB further define "air carrier"? By that I mean, do they specifically include Part 135 air carriers? Typically, we're so far below the radar of Congress that they have no idea any other type of air carrier exists outside of "major", Part 121 air carriers. If it isn't defined I can see it being challenged in a courtroom (soon).

Praetorian, just to be clear, there are two scenarios that are covered under M-B. If two carriers have the same union they are merged under that unions merger policy. If the carriers have different unions or no union they are merged under Allegany-Mohawk. Since the Teamsters merger policy was never ratified, the Teamsters have no official merger policy for the purposes of M-B and the integration (if there is one ) would be covered under Alleganny-Mohawk.

Sal is my buddy as are most of the members of this pilot group. We all have different ideas of how things should be handled and sometimes we agree and sometimes we disagree on an issue. If you want Sal to comment, I think you need to ask him yourself.

My goal was to raise awareness on the issue of integration and hopefully affect change. In the span of one week, Teamsters merger policy changed and any integration will now be fair and equitable. I doubt that my posts on FI had anything to do with it but I will take a win whenever I can. It's not lost on me that we very well may lose the war so i'm not celebrating quite yet. I'll declare victory when we get sold, get a fair integration, get back to 7&7 and get a raise.

"...That are subject to the Railway Labor Act". Are 91k general aviation companies subject to the RLB? I don't know, but everything I have read leads me to believe we are not. Anyone?

No i don't believe 91k is subject to the RLB. I think where you may run into trouble is that even though you don't own a 135 certificate, you operate under one. I'm speculating and it could go either way but it might be to your advantage to be classified as an Air Carrier so as to be covered by M-B.

No i don't believe 91k is subject to the RLB. I think where you may run into trouble is that even though you don't own a 135 certificate, you operate under one. I'm speculating and it could go either way but it might be to your advantage to be classified as an Air Carrier so as to be covered by M-B.

I'm not trying anything. I asked a specific question. You're the one drawing some fairly gross assumptions, OF.

Look, the law is the law. But as we all know applying any law is always subject to further test in a court of law. Perhaps all fractional operations get lumped under MB. Because there is substantial disagreement over the applicability of MB, I think the law (along with the assumptions you've made about 91K) will get tested in court.

Last edited:
If I misunderstood your intent I apologize. M-B states Air Carriers and we are Air Carriers. I think that you would have to prove in court that the law was meant to specifically EXCLUDE 135 Air Carriers. If the law was only meant to mean 121 Air Carriers why didn't M-B just say that? I'm not saying you wouldn't win in court but i think it's a major long shot. What would be your rational? Pilots of 121 carriers deserve protection while 135 pilots don't?

What would be your rational? Pilots of 121 carriers deserve protection while 135 pilots don't?

No, I'm not saying 135 pilots don't deserve protection. I'm just not convinced that MB was intended as the mechanism for that protection.

If you lump all 135 pilots into this equation, how does MB affect smaller operators that want to merge or combine operations? They're all air carriers. Should all 135 air carriers be required to have a formal seniority list? Must they use date of hire? Is this codified somewhere?

I don't see any way congress was at all considering all FAR Part 135 operations when they wrote this law. I'm telling you congress can't spell Part 135, let alone know what it is or what we do as Part 135/91K pilots. What happens in our world isn't even a blip to the air transportation system as they know it. And as long as FAR Part 135 doesn't have the potential to inconvenience or kill large numbers of their constituents, they couldn't care less about what goes on in our world.

Along with the passage of any major legislation comes the law of unintended consequences. We're going to get see these unintended consequences play themselves out in how MB is applied to Part 135 air carriers. Mark my words, this is far from settled.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back