Difficult question, any help appreciated

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Kenny

I'm in a difficult position in that I know of a commercial pilot that has not declared an existing medical condition in order to get a class 1 medical. This is first hand information and was apparently done with the knowledge of the Medical Examiner, who agreed to declare a lesser condition.

I realise that this is extremely damaging information to the person concerned but I believe that safety should always come first. What should I do?

If the AME agreed to issue a First Class Medical even though there is a pre-existing medical condition that is not any of your buisness. Many people that have pre-existing diseases can be issued a First Class Medical, but usually there is a 6-8 month waiting peroid for the person's health records to be examined at OK City. Yes, your concerns may be in the intrest of safety, but I wouldn't wish the horror of loosing a medical on my worst enemy.

--03M

I highly doubt that a herpes outbreak is going to affect safety of flight. I would do nothing.

A preexisting condition means nothing. I have two preexisting conditions which amount to nothing, but for which I have signed "previously reported, no change" for years. I don't remember when they were ever reported, but since I've been reporting them for so long, I really don't care (and neither does the FAA).

You didn't specify the condition, but if the AME had full knowledge of the situation and attached his signature to the medical certificate, then the AME has already taken responsibility for this. I realize that your question was asked on moral grounds: you feel that a condition exists about which you are responsible as one who holds some knowledge or information...and who has a moral obligation to do the right thing.

I won't question your sense of honor, as one always has a duty to report or address an unsafe condition. However, the person to whom you should report it, if anyone, is the aviation medical examiner...who has apparently already reviewed the facts and made a decision presumably based on professional judgement.

If, however, you still feel that an unsafe condition exists, you should get more information before proceeding, and then address the issue according to what your conscience requires of you.

As asked previously, what is the nature of the condition, and what do you perceive as the danger?

If I were you I would stay out of other peoples business. It is probably not a big deal anyway. I know I have one of those situations myself. I have been a kidney stone sufferer for years. My Urologists treats me each time and never reports it to my FAA Dr or to my airline. He also tells me that he has many other pilot patients that he treats for the same condition that ask him not to report do to the fact that the condition could ground the pilot. No big deal. Also, my FAA DR is aware of my Stone condition and is working with me to make sure that I do not lose my medical. So you see pre existing medicals, while none of your business, are not all that big of a deal some times.

Latest resources

Back