• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Difficult Airports

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
from a logistics standpoint, I agree with the above; maybe add a few California airports.

From a flying standpoint, I say BKL (Cleveland-lakefront) for non-mountainous, and Nogales, AZ for mountainous airport, as most challenging.
They are pretty tough to fly in and out of, the way they are laid out, and the way the approaches bring you in. Add to that some nasty wx, and it gets, well, interesting.

USS Midway (CV-41). Small deck, only 3 wires, and it did this funky little shimmy when it was making wind. (Come to think of it...so do I!) The layovers kinda sucked too, although it was refreshingly bereft of Air Force types.

CLE controllers make life difficult, but I think it has more to do with the layout of the airport than their attitude.

HPN for general buffoonery.

MDW when giving IOE and flying a circle-to-land cross-cockpit in strong winds.

Ok...now I'm just whining...

seasonally...

CRW right before sunrise during the summer fog season...we had to divert about 50% of the time

All good stuff, hope to fly into the likes of Chicago O'Hare one day in my C-152 :)

This thred would be even nicer if people would not use only the identifier because I am sure a lot of people, like me, don't know all of those. And I don't feel like banging it into some website somewhere. Lazy me.

Last edited:
24 carat said:
This thred would be even nice if people would not just use the identifier because I am sure a lot of people like me don't know all of those. And I don't feel like banging it into some website somewhere. Lazy me.

Sorry, if you're a pilot, you'll deal with the airport codes. It kind of comes with the job.

Sweptback, fair point. But you will have to admit that when I would be discussing the great airports of JNB, T67, VGT, MLE and ACE, you too might not know exactly where they are. Would it not be more helpful for everybody to just mention the airport as well? Or is this the equivalent of a secret handshake? :)

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack this thred. I enjoy it.

I'll agree that HPN sucks, but PHL is the absolute worst. Those controllers are the worst group I've ever come across. Stevie wonder with a case of laryngitis could do a better job.

Herrera Intl (MDHE) Santo Domingo Dominican Republic...difficult because they point guns in your face when you dont pay the landing fee.

Latest resources

Back